1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Houseboat bottleshare in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Vanlingleipa, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Greetings Beneluxians -

I'm visiting Europe for a few weeks and want to see if there is any interest out there in a bottleshare at my Amsterdam houseboat on April 29 for 10 beer lovers.

If enough people RSVP, I'll bring a couple dozen bottles from the US with me - all West Coast IPAs and barrel aged brews, including:

GI King Henry
    Founders CBS
    3 Floyds Baller Stout
    Pelican Mother of All Storms
    Bruery Black Tuesday '11
    Bruery Chocolate Rain '12
    HOTD Adam From the Wood
    Eclipse Fifty Fifty Elijah Craig 18 yr
    Bourbon County BCBS
    Olde Hickory Event Horizon
    Deschutes Abyss 2010
    Kuhnhenn BB 4th Dementia 2010

The IPAs will include the latest releases of Pliny the Elder, Blind Pig and other West Coast breweries like Alpine Duet and/or Nelson, Kern River Citra and Bootleggers Knuckle Sandwich.

Regards, Frank
  2. Holy moly, thats some line up. Unfortunatly I have to work that day.

Its Queensday on the 30th. Crazy times to be in Amsterdam.
  3. And what do you want????
  4. Like any other typical bottle event - bring whatever you want to share with others, plus hopefully something homemade to eat like a dip, or casserole. If this gets that far, I'll post a sign-up list on-line.

And to be clear, the list I posted is for sharing, not trading.
  5. Yeps - nothing like celebrating from a houseboat - you're in the middle of the craziness, yet in the comfort of your own place, watching it all happen around you. Love Queensday.
  6. So whats the story? You American that has an houseboat in Amsterdam? If thats the case you are either loaded or a hippie.
  7. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

I guess he's loaded, if he was a hippie he would be drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon.
    No, wait, those are the hipsters.

Anyway, @OP and without willing to derail the topic but I guess you're going to NL by plane, how many can you carry with you and what's your tips and tricks to protect the bottles?
    I'm only asking because I just came back from Mexico and once home I found one of my bottles broken, although wrapped between clothes, and a six pack carton of Bohemia opened by TSA (after check in and without my presence).
  8. You can count me in Frank.....if it's during the afternoon and if Mrs Brabander wants to do some shopping while i attend the tasting. I could trow in some nice Struise beers and some Westvleteren. Great that you are doing this for the Benelux community!!!!

Thijs
  9. This sounds like a pretty cool idea - almost enough to tempt me over the water.....I've been toying with the idea of a trip to Belgium around that time.
  10. Find the best 12 pack styro shippers money can buy and check-in them in as luggage on my non-stopper to Amsterdam.

BTW, the houseboat is a vacation rental.
    doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  11. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

This sounds like a great time. Count me in! Are the bosses (ie: missus) welcome? The answer to this question will determine my angle of attack...:p

Cheers,
    Jeff
  12. rvdoorn

rvdoorn Savant (440) Netherlands Jun 4, 2009

Same here! Sounds like a great plan. Be aware though that 29th of April is Queensnight in Amsterdam, with a lot of drunk teenagers...

@ Frank, do you also like sours? What styles should we bring with us?
  13. You can count me also in Frank!!! I wil bring some nice Holland's beers!!!
  14. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Hmmm, very tempting... Let me look into it and like Jeff, check the plan of attack with my wife:)
  15. You guys are killing me.

I'm going to see if I can get away with not working that day!
    In that case all the bosses can hang out at my house and party in Utrecht on the vrijmarkt.
  16. Definitely this would start in the early afternoon - I've been to Queensday, so I know that Queensnight is almost as crowded. Spouses are welcome, just bring enough beer for both. Like I said before, the boat can comfortably hold 10 plus my co-vacationers.

These spots will go to the first 10 to fill out the beer/food signup sheet that I'll be putting on-line in the 24 hours. I'll post here when it's up.

About the beer and food, it'd be nice if the beer quality could somewhat reflect the brews I'm bringing, but the most important thing is tasty beer. I'm mostly in Europe to discover new beers and styles, more than to try rare beers. So while Blabaer wouldn't be turned away, please bring brews that you personally like.

As for food, I'll have the chips and dip covered - bring along a preferably home cooked food item. But if you're a bachelor who doesn't cook or if you're traveling a long distance, don't worry about the homemade part.
  17. rvdoorn

No scratch tickets? ;)
  18. A BA legend such as yourself does not need something as trivial as scratch tickets to gain entrance. A supermodel on each arm will suffice ;-)
    rvdoorn and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  19. Do these supermodels HAVE to be female?
    Just so Jeffo doesn't make a fool of himself.
    PapaEugene, rvdoorn and beerpirates like this.
  20. Jesus guys.... Who knew that American Whales could make it via canals all the way to Amsterdam. Good god!
  21. rvdoorn

A very valid question in Amsterdam.....:)
  22. rvdoorn

The sheet works fine. Just subscribed myself, but I realized that my football team is playing a top match that day at 14.30 (against the current number one), so unfortunately I had to unsubscribe again :(:(:(
  23. digita7693

Didnt football in the Netherlands stop being relevant like 17yrs ago?
  24. It almost became relevant again when we played the World Cup final in 2010. We came in 2nd.
    In the words of the great speed skater Chad Hedrick, the numebr 2 is the 1st loser
  25. rvdoorn

Are you not from that country far far away where they play FOOTball with their hands? ;)
    bkrueger and PapaEugene like this.
  26. Hahahahahahahahaaa... in which cave have you been hiding for the fall-out.......
    rvdoorn likes this.
  27. OK, tell us what happened to you???
  28. Hey, we have a lovely 20" TV in the houseboat /s ... Seriously, I looked into tickets for that game from an on-line agency. For some reason, they cost something like 150 euros per. Feh.
  29. skimoore

skimoore Aficionado (200) France Nov 2, 2007

Well, damn! If I didn't have a Belgian weekend planned I would hop on this in a second...
  30. That seems a little steep plus that you probably looked into a AJAX game. I'm glad we caught that before you actually went and prevented you from making a BIG MSITAKE. I strongly suggest you go see any other team in the league. I'm pretty sure that rvdoorn will chime in on this one!
  31. digita7693

Being surrounded by real football leagues I thought in the Netherlands tickets were just free... strange ;)
  32. rvdoorn

Well, it seems that thinking is apparently not your strongest point ;)
  33. rvdoorn

Hi,
    thanks for the info on the big screen TV. But I do have a season ticket, and I prefer the ambiance of the stadium. I agree (obviously) with Doopiedoopiedoo, that if you want to experience the real football ambiance, going to ajax is not the best option, they have spectators in the stadium, not supporters. Utrecht is much nicer already, but when you are in the Netherlands, Feyenoord-AZ is the topmatch of the weekend. It is such a pity it is the same day as the houseboat event, but such is life :(
  34. Yep - they were traveling to play FC Twente. Ajax's matches in Amsterdam were regular prices but I didn't see any tickets for less than about 100 euros for FC Twente on the 29th. Irrelevant since I now have plans. Big beer boat plans.

Any good matches in the area on Friday the 28th or are they only played on Saturday?
  35. rvdoorn

Friday 27 nothing interesting, Saturday 28 there is Utrecht - Nac Breda, maybe not the most interesting match of all, but at least there should be some nice ambiance.
  36. Sounds good - Utretcht isn't very far, either. Thanks, man
  37. OK, i have made some entries on your list!

Thijs
  38. Jeffo

39. Jeffo

Just checked the list and the sign up sheet. Hopefully the fish are thirsty that day. Otherwise, do you have a decent couch in your houseboat?

Jeff