1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Houseboat bottleshare in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by Vanlingleipa, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

Since there hasn't been an outcry to change the date - actually, nobody, we keep it at 29/4.

Official start will be 2 pm, but feel free to show up anytime after noon. Look forward to meeting everyone and sharing tasty beers.

Frank
  2. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

We have couch and floor space, although I hear a dip in the pristine waters of the Amstel is very invigorating.
  3. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Forgot about the water. Be sure to put up a fence around the boat. Otherwise, take out extra insurance... :p
  4. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Member

Im this close to convincing my boss I dont need to work on Queensnight.

Jeff will sleep just about anywhere...
  5. Mar02x

Mar02x Member

Hi Frank,

Count me in please. I would love to come with my wife if possible.

Thanks for the invitation, cheers,
    Mark
  6. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

Glad you can make it - Looking forward to meeting you and the wife
    Mar02x likes this.
  7. rvdoorn

rvdoorn Member

That means you have to travel back to Utrecht on Queensday..... a day the trains traditionally don't run at all from Amsterdammed. I think traveling back 29th evening will already be challenging enough….
  8. farundrpar

farundrpar Member

This sounds fantastic... especially the part when Jeffo, um, lays on the couch.

Really hoping I can join you guys, but we are renting a boat... need to figure out what time this happens and then i will know for sure.
  9. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

10. Brabander

Brabander Member

OK Frank, thanks for the info, looking very forward to this! Would be nice to have some Ratebeerians coming along!

Thijs
  11. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Member

I signed up. Have a meeting later this week where I hope that we can reach the decision that I'm not that important!
    Hopefully my boss will agree by what my paycheck indicates and I don't ahve to work that night.

I mean, come on, a beer tasting on houseboat in Amsterdam on Queensday!
  12. DARIVA

DARIVA Member

Hi Frank,

Please count me in.
    Thanks for the invitation.
    I will fill in the beer list later ;)

Regards,
    Marcel
  13. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

DDD, the bottleshare is on the 29th, day before Q-day. However, feel free to stop by on Queensday - the parade o' boats is tons of fun! We toss orange mardi gras beads and orange jello shots to the boaters who usually look at them oddly. Then we shout out 'vodka yelly' and they smile big.
    Mar02x likes this.
  14. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

Making sure you know that there's a 10 guest limit and it's first-come, first served according to who puts themselves on the sign-up list.
  15. Mar02x

Mar02x Member

I don't think the beer will be finished in one setting anyway. So count us in again please. Is it possible to crash somewhere in the vicinity? Or are prices sky high?
  16. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

Yeah, problem might not be cost, but whether there's anything available.

We're open to the possibility of an overnight crasher or two on the boat as needed, but not a boatfull - we'll see how it goes during the bottleshare.
  17. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Doopie and I were talking about this the other day. What is the difference between a "tasting" and a "bottleshare." We've only ever done the former here, so we're not sure on how customs differ with the latter.

Cheers,
    Jeff
  18. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

FYI - for anyone looking for affordable accommodations on the 29th, airbrb.com has a list of rooms in people's homes that they rent out - currently about 20 between 40 and 60 euros. To find the list just enter amsterdam and 29/4 from the opening screen, then filter lowest to high.
  19. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

I'd have to call up Garrett Oliver for the official ruling. But on the 29th, I was figuring we do it the usual way - open a bottle, put it on the table and have at it, in other words, the honor pour system. I'll bring one oz plastic shots for the 12 oz bottles. Bring your own glasses or use our plastic disposables for the 22 oz and larger bottles. If anyone has a different suggestion, I'm open.
  20. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

Is there going to be an update on the outcome of this thread with photos and stuff?
    Sounds like a blast.
    vkv822 likes this.
  21. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Member

Second this!
  22. futura123

futura123 Member

I just want to see pictures of Mark falling to the river after drinking too many CBS/ King Henry.
    Mar02x likes this.
  23. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Aha. So "Bottle Share" is just the new term for "Tasting." I gotta get more into the hipster lingo. I'm getting old... :(
    doopiedoopiedoo likes this.
  24. Mar02x

Mar02x Member

Like I said before; I train real hard to be in perfect shape for this kind of tastings :D But I do think this one is going to be knocker.
  25. futura123

futura123 Member

This one will be a blast for sure. Please post pictures and let me know which beers impress you the most.
    Mar02x likes this.
  26. Brabander

Brabander Member

I will take my camera with me for some nice pictures!
  27. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Caught it before the edit :p

Jeff
    futura123 and doopiedoopiedoo like this.
  28. ToadStomp

ToadStomp Member

Is there still room? I noticed there were a few people with multiple spots. Would love to hang out with a few RBers.
  29. Mar02x

Mar02x Member

I just took a look at the beer list again - its too much, even for me :eek:
    I guess swimming in the 'river' is a realistic scenario o_O If we go on with this we have to call it a private beer festival, a PBF.
    Brabander likes this.
  30. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

31. Zimbo

Zimbo Member

Man did that sound like a good gathering. Like the sound of Frank's scalloped potatoes too. Mmmmm.
  32. Vanlingleipa

Vanlingleipa Member

Just set up a photobucket account, so here's a photo of the houseboat interior. BTW, that middle window opens up directly on the water. For this gathering, we will probably either have to board it up or buy that insurance Jeff was talking about. :D

[​IMG]
    Brabander, Jeffo and Mar02x like this.
  33. Mar02x

Mar02x Member

I'll bring my swimming trousers :p
  34. Jeffo

Jeffo Member

Looks awesome! I love parties that require insurance.

Jeff
    sliverX and beerpirates like this.
  35. Mar02x

Mar02x Member

You hooligan!!!! I have to watch you closely this saturday ;)
  36. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo BA Site Editor Staff Member

All "bottle shares" are "tastings", but not all "tastings" are "bottle shares". :cool:
    A "bottle share" means that the beers being tasted have been brought (shared) by the attendees. There can be a "tasting" where all the beers are supplied by the host(s).

This bottle share sounds like a great event. Wish I could be there to join you all.
  37. Brabander

Brabander Member

I know where this boat is in Amsterdam! Very near to the center!

Thijs
  38. Brabander

Brabander Member

39. Brabander

Brabander Member

40. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Member

Now, Thijs, please elaborate on how you can tell which boat this is and how ?