1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How are you all legally shipping beer for trades?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JoeAC, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeAC

JoeAC Aficionado (150) Illinois Sep 7, 2010

Forgive me, please, if a post exists which explains this--I searched the trade forums, and didn't come up with anything.

I wanted to send a friend a rare bomber for a wedding gift, and I'd called FedEx and thought I understood that they were willing to ship it, yet when I got to the FedEx store today, the guy acted like I was trying to hand him a dirty bomb and quickly walked away from me. He said UPS wouldn't ship it either, and I know the USPS isn't doing it. So...what am I missing? Is it one of those don't-ask-don't-tell kinds of things (despite the obvious sound of sloshing liquid)?

Again: If a previous thread exists, please simply point me in that direction.

Hopmodium likes this.
  2. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (550) California Aug 13, 2011

People pre package it and lie if anyone asks.

RyanCave, davey101 and nickapalooza86 like this.
  3. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Print labels off at home,and drop it off at a third party location fedex picks up from. No questions.

Ship bottles upright for decreased sloshing sound.

afrokaze and lionoa7x like this.
  4. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not shipping any beer. I'm shipping a lot of lava lamps and motorcycle parts.

Dello, NonicPanic, Ncpogs and 35 others like this.
  5. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

technically, it's not illegal, it's "against policy."

just package it ahead of time, print your own shipping label online and drop it off. i've never had a problem.

6. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

We don't ship beer. I, for one, only ship "go kart engine parts," "Elvis memorabilia" and "used encyclopedias."

Dello, Zach136, davey101 and 9 others like this.
  7. JoeAC

So the bottom line is there's no legal way to do it, and everyone simply ignores the illegality, hoping not to get caught? That sucks. I'd be the first guy to go to jail, I'm sure. That's how my luck works.

8. JoeAC

Oh, (didn't see this one) that changes things.

9. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Luckily, it's not really illegal per se - just against their policies. If they discover beer in the package you've shipped, they'll likely just send it back to you or give you a friendly phone call reminding you of their alcohol policy.

Edit: Right, sorry, what he said^

10. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

From my understanding, it is illegal to ship USPS, whereas with UPS and FedEx it is simply against policy.

CypherEnigma, vkv822 and GoldenChild like this.
  11. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Savant (315) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

I am currently one of the biggest shippers of pickled cucumbers in north Portland.

12. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

It really depends though. My buddy that I've traded with just goes to UPS and they pack it up for him and ship it. It's pretty sweet too, cause UPS packs boxes like a boss

13. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

I'm a well respected distributor of candles

ERRL710, Cvescalante, luwak and 2 others like this.
  14. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (810) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

The first rule about shipping beer , Is not talking about shipping beer.

Collectable Glassware, Olive Oil , Homemade Salsa , B-Day gift, all seem to be logical substitutes for whats "really " being shipped..;)

good luck getting your friend the rare bomber ..

Cheers !

15. I have never shipped beer, but I have shipped a fair amount of olive oil to friends across the country.

Dello, ivanwho, Jose79 and 1 other person like this.
  16. well I personally ship a ton of yeast samples and and snow globes. If your really worried about it, make it signed signature. This makes someone of age sign for your box.

17. camil1mj

camil1mj Savant (415) Michigan Oct 4, 2010

I have a booming vintage soda business. I have a business card and everything!

Jon_Rueben, Dello, Hugonaut13 and 7 others like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

You know you have to tell us if you are a cop right?

19. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I must be known as the Marinade Man at my local FedEx Ground spot...

"Holy moly...that guy loves to grill!"

Dello, afrokaze, Mavajoo and 6 others like this.
  20. My uncle owns a maple syrup conglomerate.....

Oh, and my girlfriend sends her homemade marinades to contests all across the US. The majority of these contests seem to take place in city apartments close to college campuses....

21. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Initiate (0) New Jersey Jul 23, 2010

Hill's Balsamics labels.

Look it up.

22. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Savant (315) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

I love where this thread is going. Who has the best lie about what they are shipping.

josmickam, Mavajoo and JoeAC like this.
  23. emannths

emannths Savant (425) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

I don't think this is true. It's against the law in most states to transport alcohol, or cause it to be transported, across state lines without a license, regardless of carrier. It's just not mail fraud.

cbeer88 likes this.
  24. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

I only ship olive oil, marinade and homemade salsa. It's a booming homegrown business to be in.

25. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Diplomatic immunity. I show them my card. And it's a good thing Americans are terrible at geography.

26. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

If you have genuine concerns, perhaps ask your go-to liquor store if they will do it for you. Depending on the state it is going to this is "legal" per both Fedex and UPS. And request adult signature.

Otherwise, lie.

27. I buy bulk maple syrup from Canada and age it in bourbon soaked oak cubes. It adds an additional layer of complexity to otherwise one dimensional pancakes.

28. my best advice is not run out of the store giggling like a school girl that just got away with something and you should be ok.

Yanka and davemike2112 like this.
  29. Devi0us

Devi0us Advocate (555) California May 3, 2011

I've been shipping Homemade Balsamic Vinegar...Actually when I think about it, I've only been asked once what I was shipping and it was at a UPS that I've never been too before...The regular UPS that I ship out from hasn't asked me once, although I am a regular customer and they've gotten to know me...

Cheers!

HopsMatt likes this.
  30. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

I ship toys.

31. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

dildos and lube is what i say when the UPS guy asks, works great when its a UPS girl. That person only asks ONCE

32. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Bringing my local Kinko's (Fedex shipper) manager an unlabeled bottle of my homemade marinade soon. She's been dying to try it, considering all of the boxes of it I've been sending out to "prospective customers."

Hugonaut13, luwak and vkv822 like this.
  33. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

artisan olive oils and vinegars, have a fake logo and all.

raynmoon likes this.
  34. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Lava lamps and foranzi coffee syrup

35. Sent a box out today. Fella asked me if they're we breakables in it. I said yes. He asked what it was and i said bottles of vinegar. He asked if it it was secure, I said like Fort Knox. I told him you can open it but it will take you a half hour to get into it. He said have a nice day. Its already on a plane.

I always answer they're questions honestly with out telling them its Beer.

And the box was like Fort Knox. Even if the opened the first box and removed all the padding, they would still have to open the second box...

Etan likes this.
  36. Allsmoke

Allsmoke Aficionado (175) Virginia Aug 11, 2007

Can I interest you in some olive oil? No, how about some some fine scented candles, or perhaps some grand perfume

37. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (460) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

Thank God somebody finally created that avatar to clear up the confusion.

38. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Collectible Snow Globes, handle with care. They think I'm a big Ebay seller of globes :)

39. Paper....For real!! I tell them it's paper lol

40. csano

csano Initiate (0) Washington Sep 21, 2010

Paper makes a sloshing noise? Granted, I'm deaf, and wouldn't know otherwise, but I'm all kinds of suspicious about this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.