1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How are you all legally shipping beer for trades?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JoeAC, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hahaaa well, shredded paper covers up the sloshing noise, because that shit is loud on its own. It also helps that I ship around 200 packages on average of printed paper a day....just goes un-noticed i suppose? I dunno

2. vacax

vacax Advocate (620) California Jun 3, 2008

I am police. King Kong ain't got nothin on me.

3. It is one of those don't ask, don't tell things and...

4. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

BBQ sauce thank you very much...

5. You have to have a license to Legally ship beers

6. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Perhaps, but according to that theory there are about a million people from Chicago bringing Three Floyd's into Illinois illegally.

7. I probably have one of the most successful homemade snow globe making business in the Nor Cal area.

"The contents of the box sir, snow globes, really big ones too"

hahaha

8. mjtiernan

mjtiernan Savant (450) New York Feb 15, 2008

Nice to "meat" a fellow marinader(?) ;)

landhoney and LambicKing like this.
  9. I ship collectible pickel jars.

10. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Zach136 likes this.
  11. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

My Roomate sells marinades, I just ship for him.

afrokaze likes this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

My wife trades marinades, and jams with people across the country, and I get stuck packaging and shipping them.

jrnyc likes this.
  13. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Tell em it's water, hops, grain, and yeast. Probably legal to ship those things together when they haven't been fermented together.

14. People actually ship beer, whoda thunkit. I ship a variety of maple syrup products from Vermont and there is nothing against the rules about that. I even tell them that it's liquid and how well I pack it if they ask.

15. emannths

emannths Savant (400) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Yes. That is probably the case (though I don't know exactly what IL's law says). For example, in the 70s, MA cops pulled people over for importing alcohol from NH. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125236461011390855.html

16. I create the label at home, tape it on and drop off at the local fedex. I've never had a problem. Usually at the time I drop off (4pm ish) they're so busy that they just have me leave it on a counter. If it's slow they might reweigh it, but I've never been questioned about the contents.

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah, it really matters state by state, I can bring beer into VA but only a certain amount (I believe one gallon or less total). I remember seeing some spreadsheet that showed the beer laws by state but I don't remember where I saw it.

18. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

As long as they don't set up road blocks to keep me from bringing my goodies from Mizzou (Bells, Founders, Stone, Deschute, Green Flash, Firestone Walker & Grand Teton for starters) back here.:D Although I beleive this state is mostly interested in gouging me for taxes on $ spent outta state...

19. I ship live yeast samples packed in water.

20. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Going at lunch time is another good option if you want to avoid being questioned at all. They'll be a person short and often won't have time to even question you about contents. Like everyone has said, just lie if they do. Also, repeating what others have said, get an account on UPS or FedEX online and print the labels off and drop at pickup location.

21. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Savant (330) Michigan Nov 18, 2009

Sensitive Liquid Filled Gauges Do Not Contain Mercury! and Lava Lamps.

22. Kaydogg

Kaydogg Savant (385) Pennsylvania Jan 5, 2011

23. My UPS folks know for a fact that I ship beer... They could care less.

Durb777 and Shagtastic like this.
  24. lisaloxx

lisaloxx Disciple (70) Ohio Apr 3, 2012

I have never been asked by our FedEx what we were shipping. We even had some break once and all they did was call us and inform us. They asked if we wanted it back or to continue shipping. We asked them to continue to ship but they sent it back to us anyways repackaged. We just packed it better, replaced what broke and reshipped. I'm pretty sure the lady at FedEx knows what we are shipping but doesn't care. I just ask they put fragile stickers on it and we've been fine.

25. Technically it is illegal to transport beer across state lines into certain states without a license. I know both Maryland and Massachusetts have such antiquated laws, and I'm sure there are others. However, I have to imagine that these laws are hardly ever actually enforced because of how difficult enforcement would be. I think by the letter of the law, not only would trades shipping beer to these states be illegal, so would any trade that ships beer ACROSS these states.

26. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

I ship lava lamps made FROM vintage soda bottles. Boo yah.

27. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I have had long conversations with the people at UPS about BBQ sauce, since that's what I'm shipping out all the time.

There is a bunch of people that trade BBQ sauce from all over the country. At least that's what the people at UPS think...

richardflyr likes this.
  28. Yeah - most people are breaking numerous laws by shipping across state lines, regardless of the carrier.

It's just kind of like jaywalking or driving 66 in a 65. Harmless and not worth the effort involved to deal with it...

29. emannths

emannths Savant (400) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Do traders avoid USPS because they're afraid of federal/mail fraud laws? Or is it just that USPS is a little less laissez faire about package contents?

30. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I ship aquarium parts and products in styrofoam lined fish boxes. No one questions with fishes printed on the side of the box or sloshing noises.

31. I think it's a little from column A, a little from column B, and a little from column C (USPS treats boxes with less care than Fedex/UPS).

32. bfg75

bfg75 Aficionado (235) Washington Feb 26, 2011

I print labels at home and drop them off and ask for a few fragile labels...never been asked what I'm shipping. Hell, I had a beer leak in transit once (bad cap) and soak the bottom of the box (it was my first trade and I didn't seal the ziplock completely I guess) and they still delivered it. There was no way a box soaked in Pliny wasn't obviously beer and no one called and the rest of the package was intact...so I wouldn't worry.

33. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I heard that USPS breaks more bottles than UPS or FedEx due to improper handling.

Edit: cbeer beat me to it, aarrggghhh.

34. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Sports memorabilia, Homemade pickles, bbq sauce. Snowglobes.

Cheers!

35. futura123

futura123 Savant (340) California Jul 29, 2010

Fish sauce aged in bourbon barrel.

36. Never shipped any alcohol, tons of collectable Belgian glassware though...

37. this?

[​IMG]

futura123 likes this.
  38. patFC320

patFC320 Zealot (75) Colorado Mar 18, 2012

I ship Horsetooth Hot Sauce :)

39. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I print my own labels with Fedex and have never been asked what is in the box. My wife has been asked once. I told her to say BBQ sauce if she was ever asked... but she instead decided to tell the Fedex employee to fuck off and took the box to another store.

40. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Fort Knox, huh? We should see if your box is any match for UHCougar12's samurai sword....

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/goddess/bruce-jenner-named-esquire-father-112738762.html

CaptainTripps and trxxpaxxs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.