1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How are you all legally shipping beer for trades?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by JoeAC, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ficklenicholas

ficklenicholas Member

2. JohnB87

JohnB87 Member

3. bugdoc

bugdoc Member

Newsflash: JohnB87 outed as "keeping up with the Kardashians".;)
    JohnB87 likes this.
  4. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Member

Never been asked, but if I do, here's what I got...

"I have no idea what's in the box, my boss told just told me to have it shipped out ASAP."
    KalH likes this.
  5. jeepinjeepin

jeepinjeepin Member

I sent some homebrew to my sister a while back. I think I told them there was beer in the box.
  6. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Member

As I have stated in plenty of other threads, I ship a lot of maple syrup, hand-crafted olive oils, snow globes, etc. I have never shipped beer.
  7. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

I work at a coffee company and ship through their account, guess liquids don't draw attention when the label lists a coffee roaster as the sender.
  8. JohnB87

JohnB87 Member

I actually sent it to my dad and told him that that's what he needs to strive to be as a father. Haha, what a joke yahoo is. I keep it as my homepage at work just for laughs.
  9. Corbet

Corbet Member

If anybody from UPS/FedEx asks what I'm shipping, I'm just gonna tell them homemade soda. Seems like a good excuse for all the sloshing sound.
  10. glitchedmind

glitchedmind Member

I tried telling them it was bull semen, and lots of it. They didn't buy it, so I had to resort to it being a present to my sister for her first year at college. I wasn't questioned beyond that.
  11. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

What about grappling instructional DVDs?
  12. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Member

I would really question the quality of your BBQ sauce if it made a fairly loud sloshing noise.
    jrnyc, strangebrew321 and Grohnke like this.
  13. Duffman929

Duffman929 Member

"I'm just shipping weed, man......kidding--it's beer! What what else is illegal that I'm not supposed to ship?"
    ficklenicholas likes this.
  14. thagr81us

thagr81us Member

I just shipped 40 lbs of beer via the USPS yesterday... *gasp* But it was going to Denmark.
  15. commis

commis Member

Stay off of my turf, that's all I ask.
    ficklenicholas likes this.
  16. commis

commis Member

The sloshing thing confuses me... Hundreds of boxes shipped and recieved and I've yet to hear liquid "slosh".
  17. mike409

mike409 Member

human breast milk
    nickapalooza86 and Jose2412 like this.
  18. youradhere

youradhere Member

"I am a marinade enthusiast who ships my awesome marinades and balsamics to other enthusiasts so they can enter them into local fairs for me. The best I've won is fourth place so far, but I can smell third on the wind." they look disinterested at this point and are hurrying to get me out. " would you like to try some of my marinades? I have some old stuff in the trunk, the mold on top is normal and gives it a nice twang, just use from the bottom of the mason jar." By this time they have stopped listening to me ramble and hand me my confirmation receipt.

I am still working on how to tell them I make home made lube and sell it on a well known swingers site without giggling, and how to build up a smoke screen back story and field their questions if any arise. This is my ultimate goal that I am working towards at the moment. Lying is fun!
  19. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I supply folks with gourmet cooking sauces. "not normal sauces for off centered people". True story. Even have multi-colored professional labels now.
    fickenmeimirish and afrokaze like this.
  20. jbck109

jbck109 Member

I dont lie, I am shipping collectable bottles, thats what I tell them. I used to say various things, but they are sold on E-bay as collectables(not by me), so I decided it is no big deal. I dont say what type 0f bottles they are, and have not been asked. I do always pre-package, and try to avoid being questioned though
    bsp77 likes this.
  21. raynmoon

raynmoon Member

So it's like a white lie. =P
  22. daysinthewake

daysinthewake Member

I've captured the Erotic Snowglobe market.
    Skye1024 likes this.
  23. WesM63

WesM63 Member

I read the how-to's and setup my own UPS account and printed my own label the first time I shipped.

UPS store only weighs my box and prints a quick receipt thing saying i dropped it off.
  24. Exiled

Exiled Member

Like I always say, "its marinade". Because technically beer can be used as a "marinade". ;)
  25. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Member

was asked for the first time today. Store was busy, already had the labels printed, and with my back issue, was struggling taking the 50 lbs of 2 boxes to the counter. So when I set them down, I get an exasperated look from a guy that was staring at the computer. When he gets to the counter, I see that he is a manager (nametag) and he says "So whatcha shipping", I said "bbq sauce and scented candles" he gets this weird look on his face and goes "really??" I said, "yes, can I have some fragile stickers?". He then goes "well if its ""special" bbq sauce, I guess so". So after getting the receipt he says "I'll take extra special care of your sauces". After leaving, I had a bad feeling so I went back in and totally expected to see him digging through them. To my surprise, he was taping the label down on the box. Was a nice surprise.
  26. Duffman929

Duffman929 Member

I toss mine in the Large Flat Rate APO box, usually around 14 lbs each. Get delivery confirm and then pray they get there! I am Japan's number 1 glassware shipper!
    rfraga77 likes this.
  27. coppcw08

coppcw08 Initiate

Also, add a box of hard candies to cover the sloshing noise. I use lemon drops or skittles (in movie snack boxes).

Oh, and I usually say glassware....i've sent close to 20 boxes of "glassware". It's funny b/c it's gotta be a crap ton of glass to weight in at 20lbs. lol
    fickenmeimirish likes this.
  28. unclejazz

unclejazz Member

If you like BBQ sauce gift baskets, I am your man. A trader recently ship my a package thru USPS. It was double boxed and disguised to look like some sort of college care package. I call him shipping McGuyver.
  29. suspect

suspect Member

My FedEx guy does pick ups and dropoffs right from my office and knows exactly what's in them. I toss him beers every now and then and I'll give him a nice Christmas card during the holidays. He looks out for packages for me when I tell them I'm expecting them and in general is an awesome dude.
    WassailWilly and jebsinger like this.
  30. mindspin315

mindspin315 Member

I ship hot sauce and olive oils. Gotta keep it a liquid.
  31. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

First rule of fightclub
    GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  32. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

breakin the law breakin the law
  33. russpowell

russpowell Member

It only sloshes if you shake the hell out of the box or drop it. I usually double box, so no real sound issues there unless you got a prick looking for them (never happened to me, but will never say it can't happen)...
  34. ewright

ewright Member

Fedex account, print labels online, drop off boxes at Fedex Office. The ONLY question I've ever been asked is "That's prepaid, right?"

Yup.
  35. harrymel

harrymel Member

I hand deliver all trades.
  36. TubaManJack

TubaManJack Member

Yes Sir - that is correct. UPS & FedEx are private companies but USPS is covered under federal law.
  37. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Member

Just went to Fed Ex for my first trade.... Do not have a account, its sloshing what is in it? Without hesitation i sais " oh its olive oil". New Glarus makes the finest Olive Oil around!
    WassailWilly likes this.
  38. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Member

I run a pretty sweet car parts shipping business.

[​IMG]
  39. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Member

I ship fresh pressed organic Olive Oil. Last shipment I even had the guy pack it for me. He saw me purchase padded envelopes and bubble wrap. Said to just put them in the envelopes to cover any potential leakage and when I came inside with the bottles in the envelopes he finished packing for me. Didn't ask a single question since I've gone in 4 times in the last 3 weeks. He made sure to wrap them securely, double boxed it, and didnt ask a single question. Even recommended styro shippers for next time.
  40. dman127

dman127 Member

And they were excellent!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.