How Can I Learn to Enjoy Belgian/Wheat Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BurgeoningBrewhead, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Which Belgian beers would you recommend for a beginner?

2. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Check out somme american interpretations of belgian styles. Hill farmstead has some amazing brews out. Funkwerks does great work as well. Deciet, their new trippel, is as good as that style gets. Boulevard has long strange trippel, sixth glass, and their nommo dubbel that are all wonderfule. Their dark truth stout is fermented with belgian yeasts, making it taste more like a quad than a. Stout. Avery has the reverend, a great american version of a quad. I could go on for days, but at the end of the day, may e these beers just don't do it for you, and that's okay. Life is too short to drink beer you don't enjoy.

3. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Who says you have to enjoy them?

Not everyone is gonna like everything.

4. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

First of all, I recommend St. Bernardus beers. Their Abt 12 got me into loving belgians and beer for that matter. (The rest of their line up is great as well.) Next brewery I suggest is Unibroue. Both cheaper and better than most other belgian-style breweries.

5. What beer styles do you like now? Might be easier to find an analogous Belgian style to start you off.

6. Don't force yourself into liking them.. But keep an open mind. If you like hops, then maybe try some Belgian Style IPAs and work from there.

7. These are the styles i have never really been fond of. Though I haven't had many of them. I've always been more of a stout/IPA advocate, venturing off into tastes for red ales, barley wines, and brown ales as well. However, I do not feel its appropriate to just abandon these styles or rule them out completely. That being said what are some of your favorite Wheat,Belgian,or Saison stlye beers? What would you recommend trying?

8. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I hate Belgian Whites and mostly Belgians of any style. Not worth my time to try and like something I think sucks, too many good beers to torture myself with this.

9. kleo

kleo Aficionado (210) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2009

I drank nothing but belgians during the annual open bar family golf tournament. This was apparently shocking because most belgian yeast strains kick off a lactose intolerance esque reaction in my immediate family. I actually do get that if I take in any lactic sugars right around the same time.

10. i think maybe you are doing it wrong (in the sense of your approach to it mentally). my own personal feeling, but beers aren't something you should "learn" to like. either you do or you don't, will or you won't, & it's o.k. to not like or be comfortable with whole styles. when i was 5 i "learned" to like grits... because my grandmother's sister made them early one morning while i was in her care & then everybody ate except me. by about lunch time, i "learned" to like em'. :confused:#TrueStory

11. 3sheets2wind

3sheets2wind Aficionado (230) Texas Mar 12, 2013

"Belgian" flows from two distinct sources, the farmhouse and the monastery. Your heavy tripels and abts come from that font as do styles like wits and strong dark. The farmhouse brews are the pales and saisons and are drier and use the microflora of the brewer to make a wilder tasting ale. Lambic styles came out of this tradition as well. The crossovers are where the problems arise. If you've only tried sweet saisons then you haven't had a saison at all. They should be low-gravity, low-alcohol (<7%) and dry. The spice character should be minimal or non-existent. Save that for the wits. American brewers who reproduce saisons usually use the wrong yeast and often incorporate a heavy spice bill to counteract the funk that is supposed to be there. They can still make a tasty brew, but it really should not be considered a saison anymore. Just call it a Belgian Strong Ale and be done with it.

12. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Savant (265) Georgia Sep 22, 2011

Can't stand any of them except the monks ABT12. Anyone know which one will get me in that arena?