1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How did you choose your favorite brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrunkenMonk, May 22, 2013.

1. What I'm really asking is how did you decide on a brewery that you relate to most?

I like many beers from differing breweries, but have not found a single brewery I would consider my favorite.

Do you have one? If so, is it because you simply like most of their product or because you like their brewpub or identity??

2. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Impossible for me to choose a favorite brewery...

The old cliche is right: "Variety is the spice of life."

ZX6Chris and kemoarps like this.
  3. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

I chose the first time I tasted Armand's geuze.

ZX6Chris likes this.
  4. It was pretty easy for me. Hill Farmstead's my favorite brewery because they make better beers than anyone else.

5. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

I feel like Odell's found me.......as did Great Divide, Firestone Walker and Lagunita's.

6. Bones10

Bones10 Savant (415) Illinois Feb 23, 2013

I'm so new to the experience I still buy lots of everyone's beer, but my mouth wants Lagunitas beer in it. Great hop profile in everything I've tried (maybe 10 so far?). I didn't make a conscious decision, I just enjoy the beer.

Cheers!

Geuzedad likes this.
  7. Same way I chose my cat: I saw it in a window, asked to spend some time with it, and it jumped in my lap and we were instantly connected. Oddly enough, that's the same way I chose my wife too.

dianimal, legend8706 and MrMcGibblets like this.
  8. Oh, she's from Amsterdam? :)

9. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Your favorite brewery chooses you.

July2Nov, tectactoe, KVNBGRY and 2 others like this.
  10. Is that how women operate over there? Man, I should have traveled more when I was younger.

Geuzedad and DrunkenMonk like this.
  11. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (475) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Foreign: Cantillon

Domestic: Russian River followed closely by Stone

12. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (340) California Feb 1, 2011

Born there, the brewery was one of the first I ever visited - both prior to 21 (the public house) and post 21 (again the original pub and also the brewery), the brewery crafts stellar brew - not only year-round but impressive seasonals and reserves, the mantra to push the limits is up my alley, the staff is amazing, the events are a blast...
    Deschutes Brewery: my favorite brewery.

leftoverburrito and zestd like this.
  13. I don't have one.

14. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

So true. That is why Shorts has been and will always be my favorite.

15. Alextricity

I love Short's, but they're REALLY hit or miss for me -- still waiting to try some Short'scake and Key Lime Pie and Peaches & Creme.

SpongeRuiner likes this.
  16. grrrah

grrrah Savant (360) California Sep 21, 2009

Russian River Brewing Company - Due to proximity to me and to good mountain bike trails.

Their IPAs and Sours aren't bad either.

17. IPeteA91

IPeteA91 Savant (270) Texas Nov 10, 2012

My favorite is in my garage! I love commercial beer but there's a great sense of accomplishment from brewing a good beer.

ZX6Chris, Northlax3, dianimal and 2 others like this.
  18. TheBeerDad

What has missed for you? 2013 has been amazing as well as 2012, the only miss i have had was the spruce pilsner. Just not for me on that one.

19. Alextricity

Ale la Reverend
    Bloody Beer
    Kind Ale

Seems like most of the beers I have from Short's I score at about 3.8 ... those were the ones that were quite a bit lower. I always try to get ahold of whatever I see that's new from them on the shelf.

20. For me it's a combination of enjoying their beer and having great experiences at the tasting room

21. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (970) California Oct 13, 2007

I didn't choose my favorite brewery; it chose me.

22. Alextricity

Looking at my scores, Kuhnhenn, Founders, Sierra Nevada, and Oskar Blues have some of my highest scores across their beers.

If I had to choose, I guess I'd be unoriginal and choose Founders ... almost every beer that I've had from them I've scored a 4+.

23. As with all good things in life, I didn't choose it. It chose me.

24. Win.

25. Also win.

26. dar482

dar482 Advocate (680) New York Mar 9, 2007

Hard to choose because it's so darn subjective.

I have to choose Founders because its so darn deep. Centennial, Double Trouble, Backwoods Bastard, KBS, Breakfast Stout.

Then again, I do love Stone, Dogfish, and Firestone. They all about having a deep list of beers and doing amazingly interesting stuff.

27. TheBeerDad

I love bloody beer, but I can defiantly see where that one is more of a required taste.

28. it chose me.

New Glarus. FTW.

29. l1fted

l1fted Savant (270) Virginia Nov 13, 2005

I have several go to's but haven't yet found the 1.

30. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

The brewery I have the most overall admiration for is Stone, but I would be lying if I said that they were my favorite, necessarily. I really enjoy going to Rip Current once a week to check out new beers, and also have their terrific IPAs. I love Pizza Port Carlsbad, but not just for their beers, but because it's a fun time there. I can't have one favorite. The craft world should be seen as a community or culture of common ideals and goals.

31. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (565) Florida Aug 1, 2012

Odell. I moved to Fort Collins for New Belgium, and left there regretting not going to Odell everyday. Ship to Florida! (Aardwolf Brewing Co. in Jacksonville will be my favorite when they produce their own)

denver10 likes this.
  32. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Not sure it was so much a choice as just Odell winning me over with their solid collection of beers. The fact that they are local doesn't hurt either, me being a homer and all.

33. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

drank their beer

34. hiill farmstead was love at first sight.

35. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Savant (295) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

Deschutes!!
    Yes I like most of their beers but not all, I would drink them all because they make quality beer.
    They also are very good at making one off beers like the ("Date night Imperial Porter") which I have only had once and never seen again. Their Seasonals like "The Abyss", Black Butte 2? series, etc are exceptional.
    Also their repeats like "Red Chair", Twilight, etc.. are great and easily drinkable.

leftoverburrito likes this.
  36. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Dogfish Head.

They have a solid line-up in regular offerings, 60/90/IBA (I really hope 61 becomes a regular easy to find brew). They make year round big beers that rock, Palo Santo/ Burton Baton. They make great big bottles, Bitches Brew/ 75 Minute. Solid seasonals Aprihop/Punkin' . And they make tons and tons of off the wall shit.

I think they are my favorite because they are close by, and my personality fits their variety of beers. Sometimes I'm just consistent, sometimes I'm crazy, sometimes I'm lazy (they aren't lazy, but some of their beers they brew aren't that tasty), but I'm ALWAYS changing and trying new things. Diverse and creative. They don't take shit from anyone, yet are amazingly and openly friendly. Great brewery Sam.

Edit: DFH will always be my favorite, even though, as far as just taste, Founders has won me over in the fact they make every style taste so f-ing good.

Streaky likes this.
  37. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,040) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Just curious. How did you manage to drink beer from every brewery on the planet before you arrived at this conclusion?

jnoble likes this.
  38. Fair question - obviously I didn't, but I feel like I've had multiple beers from all, or at least nearly all of the notable ones out there. I'm sure there are probably some great breweries that I haven't been able to try beers from, but it'd be nearly impossible for anyone to top the consistent greatness that Hill Farmstead brings to the table across so many different styles. It also helps that DIPAs and saisons are probably my two favorite styles and that's what HF does best.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. You would love Tired Hands.

40. I have really enjoyed the saisons I've had from them, but haven't had any of their hoppy offerings yet. I'm planning to finally take a trip up there one weekend this summer.

HokiesandBeer likes this.