1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How did you choose your favorite brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DrunkenMonk, May 22, 2013.

1. Out of all the breweries I have purchased and consumed beer from I can easily say that my favorite is Sierra Nevada. I say this for a number of reasons.

1.) There beers are great. I have never had anything from them that I didn't enjoy. Some were better than others, but none were duds.
    2.) They make a good representation of my favorite styles (their Czech Pils, DIPA, Maibock, Porter, and Dubbel and Imperial Stout- in the form of Fritz and Ken, are/were all outstanding!)
    3.) They care about the craft community in general. Yeah, they are a huge business in terms of craft, but they haven't lost touch with their roots, which is not only about making good beer, but doing what's right by the community as well.
    4.) They have a great track record of being environmentally friendly.
    5.) They are available almost everywhere in the US.

Honorable mention is Jack's Abby. I don't know much about them, but I do know everything I have had from them is amazing.

DrunkenMonk and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Eh, maybe. I've never had any HF beers (keep waiting for someone to send me some, wink wink nudge nudge). But for obvious reasons I find the claim that they (or anyone else) "make better beers than anyone else" to be patently insupportable. I don't even think Shaun Hill would agree with that statement.

3. [​IMG]
    Walked down the alley from my apartment into the half-timbered tavern (upper-right); walked up to the self-service window (lower right); ordered a beer and drank it (lower left). Repeated steps 2 & 3 five times.

tectactoe likes this.
  4. Let me qualify then: Hill Farmstead makes better DIPAs, IPAs, Pale Ales, Saisons and Porters than anyone else out there. If those are the styles you love, they should be your favorite brewery too! Now go get some HF!

5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I don't really even have one. Just depends on my mood.

6. This is basically a +1 post to what Stardogg posted. Hill Farmstead makes a number of different styles of beers. They make a large assortment of hoppy beers from the APA called Edward to the Black IPA called James to numerous versions of DIPAs. They also make a large assortment of Saison beers: Anna, Ann, Art, Civil Disobedience, etc.. They also make one of my favorite Porters: Everett. I am guessing that I have tasted a dozen of the various Hill Farmstead beer and they have one aspect in common: they are all OUTSTANDING beers! The fact that these beers are basically brewed at a farmhouse brewery, just adds a bit of allure to these beers.

Hill Farmstead is most definitely my favorite brewery; they make OUTSTANDING beers across the board!

Cheers!

7. Permit me to suggest that a pleasant vacation would be to visit Ommegang (for their idyllic setting, good beer, and the nearby Baseball Hall of Fame) and then a continuing visit to Vermont to visit Hill Farmstead (plus The Alchemist and Lawson’s). An ideal time would be late September/Early October when the trees change colors. Upstate New York and New England is very, very pretty in the early autumn.

Cheers!

8. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Hey, I'm down in a heartbeat. But I'm going to have a very hard time convincing my (non-drinking) wife and 6-year-old daughter that this would be a good use of our extremely limited vacation time and budget.
    Looks like Disneyland instead. :(

9. “Looks like Disneyland instead”: I hear you! My wife and I were watching TV a few days ago and there must have been a commercial for Disney World/Epcot. She then stated: “Let’s go to Disney World”. I was shocked to hear that; I didn’t figure here for a Disney World person (maybe it was the Epcot part?).

The allure for your wife could be to visit Upstate NY and New England during the tree color change timeframe; that area is indeed stunning then. I am not sure that your 6 year old daughter would be enticed by nature’s beauty?

A couple of years ago my wife and I (and other friends) hiked up Cascade Mountain (just south of Lake Placid, NY) when the trees were just starting to change colors. The view from the top was breathtaking. We then went into Lake Placid for dinner: burgers and beer at the Lake Placid Brewpub. A perfect day!

Have fun at Disneyland! Remember: It’s a small world after all!:)

Cheers!

draheim likes this.
  10. What is a homer?

11. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (465) Illinois May 17, 2013

Lagunitas, given the price, taste, and availability of their products.

12. Thanks for the good reply.

ESeab likes this.
  13. zestd

zestd Savant (345) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

Deschutes is it.

14. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

It chose me.

15. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Someone who supports (and has a bias for) the local scene/product (i.e. beer in this case, also can apply to stuff like sports teams, musical scenes, etc.).

16. Good thing I asked. I thought it referred to writers of long posts, as in novels.

sharpski, SpongeRuiner and denver10 like this.
  17. SpongeRuiner

SpongeRuiner Savant (295) Michigan Nov 27, 2012

How can you decide with beers so good like Natural Ice and Keystone? So full of flavor and quality ingredients, who could decide between the two?

Are you picking up on the sarcasm? Because I'm laying it on pretty heavy.

18. willth

willth Savant (280) Michigan Apr 2, 2013

It is hard to have favorites here in grand rapids because we have so many good breweries but location and aviability have a big part of it. How i look at it is:

Founders for all around varierty, white flame for local watter hole and brewery vivant for something different. If i could take the variety from Founders the people from white flame and the style of vivant then minus the hippies and hipsters would be my beer heaven

19. I started going to COAST every week to try their new releases. Learned that it was a blue collar, husband and wife operation, and that they support the industry more than anyone else I have come across (see SC pint bill and other law changes theyve been behind). They quickly became my favorite brewery.

And oh, by the way, they consistently make amazing beers.

DrunkenMonk and herrburgess like this.
  20. paulytasker

paulytasker Savant (360) New York May 16, 2012

Being from Upstate New York, I have to go with Smuttynose based solely on how readily available it is to me, and how solid their offerings are across the board..... Honorable Mention goes to Great Lakes.

Cheers!

21. sharpski

sharpski Advocate (610) Oregon Oct 11, 2010

I can never decide who my favorite is: in WA it was between Black Raven and Fremont, now in Bend it's between 10 Barrel and Boneyard. In each case, both have a deep roster of solid recipes across many styles while demonstrating they know what to do with a hop when they see it.

22. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (370) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

It's hard to pick one because there are SOOOOOOOOOO many great breweries out there. For me no one stands out. I like a lot of breweries. Some of my favs are:

Troegs
    Harpoon
    Lagunitas
    Stone
    Ballast Point
    Rogue
    Bear Republic
    Southern Tier
    Brekinridge
    Sam Adams
    DFH
    Sierra Nevada
    Middle Ages
    and so on and so on.........
    They are all great in their own right.

23. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Looked for hype on BA.

nsheehan likes this.
  24. Not sure how you pick just one. I have a short list of favorites, but not one favorite. Jack's Abby and Wormtown are my favorite locals. I'm also a HUGE fan of Lagunitas, Founders, and Stone.

25. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

It was Three Floyds. Several grand and 20 lbs extra over the course of a few years solidified it. Sometimes our favorite things choose us.

26. My favorite brewery is Surly because they make delicious beer.

27. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

First time I went to funky Buddha right when they started brewing, tried their vanilla espresso porter and was hooked from there.

28. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

I usually lean towards Stone and Sierra Nevada as favorite brewery labels go. Stone was my first taste of craft beer back in 1999 and to this day they never dissapoint. Sierra Nevada was my second taste but mainly I lean to them for their consistently delicious outstanding quality control.

29. I drank a lot of Firestone Walker. I drank a lot of other beers. I decided "damn this Firestone Walker place makes amazing shit!"

30. BSW

BSW Savant (250) California Jun 20, 2011

Russian River is on my way home from work.

31. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (485) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

Can't remember the last time my fridge didn't have at least one beer from Founders in it.

32. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Oh man...tough question...gotta go with Bells overall...Hopslam always clinches it for me...I really love Lagunitas as well though due to their brilliant selection...I would possibly pick others as my favorite but unfortunately Michigan has weird distrib laws...Bells takes it for my beer history...along with Hopslam, Two Hearted, Black Note, Expedition, etc...their Amber Ale was my intro to craft beer and will always be a classic...my fondest memory is getting bombers of the original Solsun back in 92 in East Lansing...soooooo good...of course this became Oberon due to some legal issues...the recipe is diff but the memory remains...GD shows and ice cold Solsun bombers in the cooler...along with other party favors...priceless!!!

33. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

victory was my first craft love, and remains the brewery I am most loyal to. To be a fave of mine you need to have a German background.

34. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I drink one or two beers a day. My favorite brewery changes once or twice daily. Coincidence?

ThirstyFace likes this.
  35. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Fair point, and well done for turning this thread upside down on its head, because it really is a bit silly when you think about it.

36. I, personally, don't understand why brand loyalty has to be anathema to "craft" brewing. But I guess that's just me.

37. jeffmeunier

jeffmeunier Disciple (70) Indiana Apr 29, 2013

Three Floyd's, great beer, coupled with an amazing food experience in the brew pub.

DrunkenMonk likes this.
  38. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

And they cost only 35 $!

39. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

Like many other BA's, it has to be Founders, so many top notch beers. On the other hand, if Nugget Nectar was year round.........

40. Snobbery is never flattering. Even in your color.