1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment How do you add your "Hads"?

Discussion in 'Site' started by wesbray, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Since i'm relatively new to the site, it seems like a lot of work to add beers I had in the past. Do you only add ones as you go or have you attempted to retroactively add and rate every beer you have had?

2. Add as you go. You can't possibly rate accurately based on memory, only experience. Besides, it's fun to revisit all of those off-the-shelf beers you once thought you enjoyed/hated.

3. Bartolio

Bartolio Initiate (20) Dec 14, 2012

I agree. Outside of rating beers, I'd like to catalog the beers I know and love somewhere for mere referencing. Maybe the new app will have a solution.

4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I definitely review as I go... I never add beers retroactively (unless it is from notes taken when I was not in front of a computer or did not have an internet connection - and those are usually a couple days old at most).

5. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

^What this says, and what thecheapies said...(haven't figured out the quote two posts thing yet)

When I decided to start, I went from my notebook to "backfill". I use an Excel spreadsheet where I added a column for a totally subjective rating of would I buy it again, otherwise it pretty much follows the BA format. I keep handwritten notes if I am not near a computer, and if my ability to collect information is impaired (social setting, usually) I don't try bother review - there's always another day and another beer. There is no way it can be done correctly from memory. I also went back to double-check and absolutely discovered that my perception had changed on a handful.