1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How do you get Whales when you are new to trading?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Moc513, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Moc513

Moc513 Savant (255) New York May 24, 2012

I'm relatively new to Beer Advocate and trading and I know enough by looking at the trading posts that it takes a whale to land a whale. My question is how do people like me who just started to trade get a whale?
  2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Why worry about it? Drink the beer you can get locally, trade for what you can trade for, and enjoy.

If you really want "whales" (however you define those), you could start watching for local limited releases and/or brewery-only releases and put those up for trade.
  3. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

Move to Vermont
  4. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (585) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

1. First rule is to misspell whales as wales.
    2. Capt'n Krunckles.
    3. ???
    4. Profit.
  5. Quantity, attending brewery-only releases, getting in demand shelf beers quickly (in Western NY think hours not days at least in Rochester)
  6. apocalypsezombie

apocalypsezombie Initiate (0) May 12, 2012

Patience. You'll start by trading for other locals, then you'll move into hunting down your local seasonal releases to trade for other seasonals, then you'll be hunting down one offs that become available in your area. Continually building your cellar until you can trade for a "whale".

There's alot of amazing off the shelf beers that are sometimes better to trade for then "whales". For instance my first trade was founders/three floyds beers for Russian River/HotD beers. Still my favorite trade yet and it was just off the shelf for off the shelf.
  7. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Since you're in Buffalo, your best bet would be to travel to some releases (like Vermont!) and if you do that enough times, you'll have the ammo.

Once you have the ammo however, you'll probably over-value your beers because of the personal sacrifices and effort you put forth in getting them..... thus the vicious cycle begins.....
  8. Moc513

Moc513 Savant (255) New York May 24, 2012

I do enjoy the locals for locals trade as it allows me to try many beers from areas I have not visited. Please don't misunderstand my question as being inpatient in getting one, I was just curious as to how people started to obtain these rare sought after beers when you don't have one to offer in return.
  9. go to brewery only releases, establish good trading partners, and work your butt off to obtain desirable beers from your area.

Or skip 'em, most aren't worth it.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

You don't. Why do you want one? Drink good, easy to find beer first. No point in hunting a whale when you might not even like its style.
    mrbubbler likes this.
  11. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Just my .02...most "whales" I've hunted down have ranged from being slightly disappointing to just flat out bad. A beer's rareness factor does not increase the overall quality of the beer. Start just trading for locals.
    barfdiggs and vurt like this.
  12. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I'd say your best bet is to find some incriminating photograph evidence of Shaun Hill doing something nefarious and then blackmail him into granting you full access to *HIS* cellar. From there it should be very similar to literally taking candy from a baby.
  13. Attend beer releases. Also, cruising the ISO:FT and seeing what people are putting up there. More times a beer has a FT attached to it, the slimmer your chances are of moving that product for a rare one since alot of BAs probably have it too.
  14. Jparkanzky

I have had some amazing ones..... but I've drain poured more often though....
  15. Go to a sub-200 bottle release and rate the beer all 5's. Make sure you actually have one left to trade for whales.
  16. Jparkanzky

Unless it's Jackie O's..... those don't trade for shit, despite the fact that some of them are REALLY damn good....
  17. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Hook up with a new brewer in town. Strongly encourage them to do small bottling runs of barrel-aged beers and/or high ABV beers and/or cleverly named beers.
  18. iadler

iadler Savant (405) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Oh for sure. There have been several that I've loved. But for the most part I'm pretty disappointed.
  19. Whenever these threads come up, sage traders always say "dont" and there's a thread of credbility to that, albeit through the glasses of one sitting on a mountain of past experiences.

If you want to land some walez, you can try to pull a combo strategy for all of the brewery only/local limiteds, but this is expensive and time consuming. The advice "land a regular trading partner" almost begs the question and, while helpful, it will take quite some time for a regular partner to all of a sudden drop a Cable Car on you, but stranger things have happened in this community of bipolar benificence.

I will be the first to say it, and with much chagrin: ebay. If you seriously must try something like Depuration, which is way over the hill anyway, it is almost certainly easier to drop $197.45 than to 1) go to Bevmo, buy 6 parabola, trade those for 2 Hunas and 1 BCBCS, then 2) trade those 3 bottles into a single bottle of Damon. Or whatever, kind of reverse pyramid you would have to run to pull that off.

I am going to steal Pahn's bit here
    Tl;dr - regular trade partners help, but wont land you a Kaggen, trading up is expensive and takes forever, ebay ruins everything for everyone but sometimes is a last resort.
  20. As an example to how I got my first 'wale'- I ordered an overseas-only beer from a Belgium shop and traded it for a Duck Duck Gooze. I had been trading for a year at that point.
  21. i've said this before: the trading forum teaches n00bs all the wrong things about beer.
  22. your post is bad and you should feel bad.
    franklinn and SubpoenaDeuces like this.
  23. You buy them on EBay
  24. Soonami

Soonami Savant (445) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

First off, what's your definition of whale?

Three Floyds Dark Lord, Surly Darkness, Portsmouth Kate the Great?
    -or-
    Cantillon Don Quixote, Midnight Sun M, and Drie Fonteinen Millenium?

There is a big difference between those two lists. Beers on the first list could be traded for with other beers that you find "off the shelf" at your local beer store. Highly coveted seasonal releases such as Hopslam, KBS, GI Bourbon County Stout variants, and Parabola or one-off releases that hit wide distribution like King Henry and Founders CBS might be involved in trades for some of these beers.

To reach beers in the second category, you need to either get incredibly lucky or find someone very generous. There are some beers that you can walk into a specific store and buy, which will help you hunt down a bona fide whale. This might be Bottleworks in Seattle, Monk's Cafe in Philly, Moeder Lambic in Belgium, ├ślbutikken in Denmark or Akkurrat in Sweden, etc. These bars and stores occasionally have a special event or something on sale that is nearly impossible to find elsewhere. There are some beer releases where beers become "insta-whales" 2012 Framboos, Barrel Aged Dark Lords, these kinds of beers that are instantly valuable, but require purchasing expensive tickets or just luck. Finally, there are beers like Partridge in a Pear Tree, Stone Vertical Epic 02.02.02 that were not valuable at first or not widely distributed, but become very desired because they are rare and collectors want them as part of a set.

It's not easy or necessarily particularly rewarding to be a whale hunter. With few exceptions, more easily obtainable beers like Parabola, Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueze, and Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek are about as good as they come.
    ASUBeer likes this.
  25. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Buying wales on eBay is like using cheat codes on video games.....sure it gets the job done but the victory is tainted by your lack of a conscious. Now if that type of thing doesn't bother you, buy away. Or better yet save some of those dream beers and drink stuff just as good that you can get via locals or limited releases.
  26. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I think that's because everybody from BA and Ratebeer are at Jackie O's releases; they are like national beer tastings.
  27. First, you get the money, then you get the women, and then you get the walez.
  28. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Get to know your local BAs who have been around longer and get invited to their tastings :)

Other than that, patience and luck.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  29. I usually try to trade rarity for quantity, but ironically, people seem to threadshit on something like that which is more equal opportunity to noobs, moreso than trading only wales for wales in here. And people shit on ebay too. So I guess the consensus on beeradvocate is that you must put in a bunch of blood, sweat and tears in 2012 that still might not get you wales or whatnot.

You know what works best? Find some cool people who drink beer. I have plenty of friends who like craft beer, but aren't on BA & don't have anything 'rare' or whatnot to bring to bottle shares. So they brought Michelob Ultra, SNPA & SN Southern Hemisphere Harvest a few weeks ago to the bottle share. It went swimmingly well, and horizons were opened.

Michelob Ultra went well for our first beer after playing a skins game of disc golf in 100 degree weather. SNPA/Harvest are good anytime.

So some "noobs" got to drink some real good beers (maybe not 'wales' but whatever) like Allagash Old HLT, BCS Bramble, Lawsons Tripple, Kuhhnnen -bal bw, CW -bal bw, Fruet, Tilquin Gueuze, Founders all day ipa, Beatification, Hottenroth, LeBleu etc. . .

So yeah, they don't have any 'wales' in their collection, but they're getting to drink different beers, and that I think, is more important.
    barfdiggs, bhir, libbey and 5 others like this.
  30. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

I definitely know what you're saying, and in many regards, I agree. However I did trade a Kentucky Monk for a CBS (but that was when CBS first came out). It pained me to give up a Monk, as I absolutely love that beer. I also traded a Rum Barrel Vanilla Bean Dark App plus a Parabola for King Henry about a month ago. Another Jackie O's beer that I love and hate to give up...but I wanted a KH...

I'm actually fine with Jackie O's beers not trading for much. I usually enjoy them all so much that I drink them. I've often traded for more bottles when I go to a release and will probably do the same at future releases. I just love what Brad does.

Sidenote, took a month-old growler of Kentucky Monk to a party Saturday. Absolutely as delicious as ever and was a huge hit.
  31. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

If you have good regular trade partners, you have a good chance. If you don't want to invest the time and energy to get solid trade partners, then ... fuck it... hit the bay.(Option #1 is better by the way ;) ).
  32. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

1. book flight to Belgum
    2. Buy lots of Cantillon
    3. Trade for wales
    kaips1 likes this.
  33. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

...or you could just start out with small trades, like 98% of the people on here do, then work your way up to bigger beers.
  34. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

But whales taste better!!!11111
    Photekut likes this.
  35. Cottzilla

Cottzilla Savant (265) Ohio Dec 2, 2010

Step 1: Meet your local BA's
    Step 2: Get invited to their tastings
    Step 3: Drink the "whales" they open
    *This will give you time to acquire some rare beers to share with them. :D
  36. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

FTFY
    Rempo and domtronzero like this.
  37. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

If you're going to do that, just

1. book flight to Belgium
    2. go to DHvL and Moeder Lambic and Kulminator
    3. Drink (or buy) wales

That's actually easier than your #2, in my experience
  38. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Savant (315) Nebraska Mar 15, 2012

Did someone say Whales? :)
    When I first started on BA and trading (earlier this year) I bought on eBay because I didn't know any better. But it also allowed me to try some really good beer and kickstart some trading ammo. I joined a tasting group, met some great guys, and have tried a lot of great beer.
  39. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (320) New York Nov 21, 2008

You realize Buffalo to VT(HF) is 9hrs, one way, right? Im sure he'd still be a local homer if he loved the beer though right? ;)
    jsilva likes this.