how do you handle sour beers?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by kscaldef, Jan 7, 2013.

1. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I know when homebrewing people generally maintain separate sets of equipment for wild/sour fermentations and everything else. Do people general do the same on the serving side of things? Would you use different beverage lines? Keep separate collections of corny kegs? Or does the typical keg & line cleaning regime kill everything off?

BenZ likes this.
  2. kscaldef

Anyone? Should I try asking this in the Homebrewing forum instead?

3. Riggsy

Riggsy Savant (295) Pennsylvania Jul 15, 2005

I've only put one of my sour beers on tap, a Flanders Red. I went through my usual line cleaning routine afterward, run BLC, Starsan, and then hot water through the lines. Put an IPA on afterward, I have tasted no residual effects. YMMV.

4. PJHealy

PJHealy Aficionado (100) Ohio Jun 14, 2012

Only made 1 sour, but I bottled it to avoid the risk. These beers are traditionally bottle conditioned anyway.

5. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

got at least one on tap at all times, currently have two. i just clean normally, never had a problem so far

6. kscaldef

And you use the same kegs / lines for non-sours as well?

7. barls

barls Aficionado (175) Australia Nov 15, 2006

have different kegs for the 19L batches but use my 9L for both. lines on the taps are the same. normally have one dedicated sour tap but felt the need and have two atm. ive used my two picnic taps on sours a few times now.

8. bigk84

bigk84 Aficionado (175) Michigan Jun 2, 2011

I have my sour kegs separate from the non sour beer kegs...lines are the same, hot water and BLC to clean and I have had no problems with cross contamination.

9. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I try to always have a sour on tap, and I do have a dedicated line and tap for it, but that's kind os stupid since I don't dedicate kegs anymore.
    Here's my old story, many have read it before. A very long time ago I converted a keg of very crappy pale ale into a keg of excellent malt vinegar. I bottled the vinegar, and not knowing any better I cleaned the keg with my normal cleaning/sanitation routine and put it back in rotation with all my other kegs. I'd bet that since then 100 batches of beer have passed through that keg without a single hint of infection. It still has the same gaskets and O-rings, so even with the keg soaking in vinegar for more than a year the acetobacter was not able to settle in.