1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How do you keep your glasses clean?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DEdesign57, Mar 4, 2012.

1. DEdesign57

DEdesign57 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 12, 2011

I have notice a significant lack of lacing and head retention with my glass, problem is I don’t really know the best way to keep them clean. I know I cant use a dish washer and I don’t want to be buying special cleaning detergent just for my beer glasses. So how do you guys keep your glasses clean?

2. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Wow, I have NEVER heard this one before. Mine goes in the DW probably once a week or so. Other than that, I just rinse it out good after each use and let'er dry.

3. DEdesign57

DEdesign57 Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 12, 2011

yea you should not use the dish washer because the detergent contains chemicals that can harm good head retention and lacing and never leaves the glass, beer clean.

4. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

i have a zero gravity chamber that is light less. the wife and I thought it would be a nice addition to the house. i keep all my glassware and IPAs in there. i cannot understand why anyone would do it any other way.

5. EseLocoSS

EseLocoSS Savant (310) Illinois Feb 2, 2010

Wash by hand with a mild soap and rinse well. Otherwise put them in the dishwasher WITHOUT any soap in it. It will still get them pretty clean with how hot it gets.

6. Mild dish soap, washed by hand. Rinse with hot water followed by a rinse with very cold water. Air dried. I have been pretty much fine since I started with this method.

7. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I just use steaming hot water, for the most part..

sajaffe1, franklinn and Lantern like this.
  8. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Yeah, this is my approach as well.

djbreezy likes this.
  9. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

I've never had an issue using dish soap. The only reason people have issues with residue is simply from inadequate rinsing. I use hot water (ie - turn on the hot water only) to rinse all my glasses, of which I do multiple times, then use either a microfiber cloth or paper towel to dry so it doesn't leave behind any lint.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Mine go in the dishwasher, then I take them out and rinse them and let them air dry.

11. TicoCali

TicoCali Savant (460) California Jul 25, 2010

Air dry dont leave water spots ?

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Not that I've noticed.

13. A sink, hot water, soap, and my wife behind them all.

Kidding..if my wife read that she would beat me.

14. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Hot water, duh. Sometimes I use soap if it has been sitting around and got a bit sticky. Otherwise, I just rinse it out real good with very hot water and let it dry out. I have put them in dishwasher several times. Never had a problem with head retention or lacing, but I will probably refrain to do so in the future due to what you all are saying.

15. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

i use hot water and soap and rinse like crazy in cold water.... then let air dry... but before i use them i polish with a paper towel inside and out... i started doing this with my scotch glasses and now with any good drinking glass...

16. If you let them dry rightside-up, probably, but not if you let them dry upside-down.

You don't need anything fancy at all, it's just a matter of making sure there's nothing inside of your glass other than the drink you pour in it. Get some wash cloths specifically for washing your beer glasses so that no food residues from your standard wash cloth make it onto your good glassware, use plain detergent, dry off the outside, shake out some of the water from the inside, then leave your glasses top-down on a drying mat or cupboard liner.

17. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

I wash my glasses with a drop of regular liquid dish soap and a glassware dedicate sponge. Nothing fancy, but you should try to avoid washing your glasses with the same sponge that you used to wash your lasagna pan the night before. People who simply rinse their glasses with water and don't use soap are disgusting.

elgiacomo and Etan like this.
  18. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

HOT WATER rinse, maybe a lil dish soap depending on the stickiness, followed by hot rinse, cold rinse and dry with paper towel. I don't use the dish washer for them at all.

19. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Savant (485) Ohio Oct 11, 2010

^this. I usually hand wash them with painfully hot water and dish-cleaning soap, I have a separate sponge that I never use for anything except beer glasses. Just use a drop of soap and really apply a lot of pressure to the glass and scrub. Also air dry only since drying with a rag or paper towels will leave fibers or particles in the glass that will wreck your head retention.

20. Hand wash with soap and a good rinse in hot water and air dry.

21. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

oh... i forgot to mention... i like to use mr. clean magic erasers... the regular plain ones, not the ones with detergent... they will rremove any contamination from your glass and leave it squeaky clean:)

22. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (365) California Mar 13, 2009

I typically just use the wife to clean my glasses.

23. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

There's nothing wrong with using soap. Just rinse thoroughly.

24. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

You can use the dishwasher. Just use a little less detergent than you otherwise would and don't use heated dry. It'll bake on any residual detergent.

25. Never understood why you can't use a dishwasher. Mine come out just fine and the beer tastes the same.

26. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Dishwasher.

RonfromJersey likes this.
  27. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

It is not just the detergent that is potentially harmful when washing your glasses in a dishwasher. The jostling around can damage thin walled glasses, the graphic also tend to wash off over time. Food residue and fats from other dishes can potentially be transferred to the glassware as well.

Detergent in general is a highly debated topic. The Brewers Associate suggests avoiding Fat or Oil based detergents, which eliminates most you will find in your grocery store.

I handwash my glasses using very little detergent. I will either air dry or use coffee filters to dry the glasses. Works just fine for me.

28. I would probably use the dishwasher as well, but the majority of my glasses have logos which would probably be harmed by the dishwasher.

29. The dishwasher is fine for most glasses. It will wear down the logos overtime though, so be careful how long you do it. Thin glassware should be left to hand washing.

As for hand washing, if the glass sat overnight I just put some soap in the glass and let it run under hot water for a few minutes. I then rinse it with cold water and let it air dry. If you clean it right after your drink, all you should need is hot water and maybe a little soap depending how much lacing the beer left behind.

30. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Dogfish Head beers are good cleaning agents, because of their high alcohol content.

31. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

32. Cresant

Cresant Advocate (555) Kentucky Apr 25, 2006

Hand wash, air dry.

33. Homebrew42

To those saying that there's nothing wrong with the dishwasher there are a few things to consider; one is that rinse aids like Jet Dry will destroy head retention, the other is that the detergent generally used in dishwashers can etch glasses over time and/or fade/remove logos. Washing by hand with liquid dish soap is much less harsh on glasses.

34. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

yeah i do the same thing.

35. Lots of hot water. Lots.

Lantern likes this.
  36. infi

infi Savant (455) New York Apr 4, 2009

Just be careful with washing thinner glasses with hot water. The sudden temperature change afterwards will expand the glass and might cause it to crack.

37. Homebrew42

Like how much? Like 50 gallons?

joaopmgoncalves and Lantern like this.
  38. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Advocate (670) Michigan Nov 11, 2010

I just use a mild dish soap and hot water, working it around with my hands rather than a sponge. Rinse well and air dry upside down.

39. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

This. Seriously.

40. Homebrew42

Do you clean all of your other dishes, utensils, and glasses with just water? Seriously.

heresy22 and Rempo like this.