How do you keep your glasses clean?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DEdesign57, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Nope. Just beer glasses. If you knew how hot the water was here...

2. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

When I said for the most part, I meant steaming hot water is the key. I guess I thought the soap goes without saying, but I basically just go overload on the steaming water.

3. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

Why do beer glasses get treated differently than everything else? Don't you want your beer glasses to be as clean if not cleaner than your other dishes?

4. Homebrew42

Apparently not, there are many people here who simply rinse their beer glasses with water and do not use any soap at all. I have this same conversation with people every time this topic comes up.

heresy22 likes this.
  5. Lantern

I'll live. Glad you're concerned though!

6. BB1313

edit: meant to reply

7. BB1313

I basically just use a little soap to get all of the residue, then run it under steaming hot water forever to make sure there's no soap residue.. and then air dry. But it's amazing was just extremely hot water can do.

8. Homebrew42

I essentially do the same, though I will often towel dry to avoid water spots. I've been over people's houses who simply rinse with hot water and every glass they've ever offered me has had greasy lip and finger prints on it. It's unsanitary and pretty gross.

heresy22 likes this.
  9. Lantern

Mine are spotless... But I can now see why my method offends you!

10. Homebrew42

I'm not offended in any way, I really don't care how you clean your glasses.

Lantern likes this.
  11. Except dissolve lipids, of which significant amounts are deposited on a glass from one's lips and hands.

12. until it doesnt smell like beer anymore. I rinse them about 5 times in scalding hot water then let them air dry. I had been putting them in the dishwasher, but me beers had no head. Now, no dishwasher.

Lantern likes this.
  13. Only if it is a drastic change in temperature. Hot water to cold water isn't drastic enough. You need the glass to be at hundreds of a degrees farenheit in order for it for it to crack like that.

14. Archemedies, I've cracked a glass in the sink before because I changed temps too quick. Come on over with your glasses and I'll demonstrate for you if ya want! ;)

15. thats how i lost my first GLBC Christmas Ale snifter. damn dishwasher.

16. Must have had some shitty glass then (no offense). My best friend blows glass and I've done a little and it only cracked when the temperature change was in the hundreds over a few seconds. I've got a paper thin tulip glass and I've never had that happen. But, I'll stand corrected...

17. Did you have the sanitizer in your dishwasher turned on? That heats steam up hot enough to kill all bacteria and anything thin is a huge risk with that turned on.

18. Put the glass under a sink faucet, add a dash of soap, and stream really hot water through it.

19. the dishwasher in my apt is old as hell. I have no idea. I turned off the heat dry feature, but that was my only option.

20. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I rarely actually wash my beer glasses. Usually they just get a good rinse when I'm done, then air dry.

21. Its not the wash, its the rinse. Most dishwashers don't sufficiently rinse. If you take it out still wet before the soap hardens and give it a good rinse, using a dishwasher is fine. All my sturdier glassware goes in, but the tulips, stemware, etc is all hand wash.

22. Put them in the dishwasher

23. Hot water and a drop of soap on a dedicated glass sponge... what's the problem?

FosterJM likes this.
  24. ixodus

ixodus Savant (295) New Jersey Jul 18, 2010

Use this exact method with heavy rinsing at the end works perfect.

25. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Very hot water. Basic dish soap. Never had an issue.

Cheers!

heresy22 likes this.
  26. Orchids

Orchids Aficionado (210) Illinois Feb 7, 2010

+1 to this. Super hot water usually works. Sometimes I let them sit with water in them for a few minutes if I was drinking something dark. Sometimes we put them in the dishwasher and run the cycle without detergent.

27. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Dishwasher. If they break, oh well. Life's too short.

lancecenter likes this.
  28. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Ammonia + bleach in a ventiilated room. Rinse.

lancecenter likes this.
  29. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Rempo likes this.
  30. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Sorry OP, but am I the only person who is dumbfounded this thread is still receiving new posts? This subject is right up there with "how do you get the cap off?"...

31. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

Easy------Posting to a Message Board-----------Brain Surgery-------------Cleaning Glassware----------Hard

32. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Most of the time I just rinse, and after one of your previous tirades against "just hot water" I actually went and inspected my glasses closely (which I don't normally do). None of them had any visible grease or any other kind of residue. So I don't know what to tell you, except that I don't think whoever you were so put off by before was doing it right.

33. I use the dishwasher for regular pint glasses and whatnot. I handwash all my logo glassware.

Archemedies likes this.
  34. Now that's funny.

35. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Just wash it like a regular dish. Use Palmolive on a sponge, and make sure you clean every inch of that dirty little glass, and rinse about 3 or so times. Air dry. A visual inspection after the last rinse is great to make sure you did a good job. You can use this tip on almost every washable dish too.

Also, do not ever let greasy shit get on your glassware. They is a pain in the ass and requires multiple washes and rinses to get cleaned. Damn roomates using my glasses, then putting the damn glass in the damn sink (never leave glassware in the sink, they can easily be broken). Grease and glass is bad.

Follow these tips ad you shall be good to go. Thank you for listening.

36. 1) Drain of any beer contents
    2) Tell my girlfriend there is something awesome to see on the TV
    3) Wait for her to enter man-cave
    4) Tell girlfriend she missed the "awesome thing on tv," and say "since you are already up, mind cleaning this for me?"
    5) Hand her the used glass.
    6) Say "thanks babe, another beer would be great too."
    7) Wait 3 minutes.
    8) Drink and Repeat.

ChrisWood6000 likes this.
  37. Nice. Thanks for this. Using iiiiiit.

38. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

If the glass is still wet then a hot vigorous rinse usally does the trick, if the beer residue has dried then a little soap and a good rinse.

The trick seems to be the rinse, not the soap either way hand dry with a cotton towel

39. I use a drop of soap and a dedicated baby bottle brush. Hot water to wash followed by a hot water rinse with another with cold water.

I used to just use the dishwasher but over time I started to notice a hard water film begin to develop on my favorite glasses. Using this hand wash method actually reverses the hard water after a couple months of hand washing.

I also started washing my wife's wine glasses at the same time

I can always tell when my wife is grumpy about a late night tasting when all my glasses from the night before are in the dishwasher as she knows why I hand wash. ;)

40. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

as soon as the glass is empty (if i'm not going to have another) i just wash it out with the HOTTEST water possible, no soap, then just air dry it