1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How do you keep your glasses clean?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DEdesign57, Mar 4, 2012.

1. . . . i wash mine with more beer.

----------------------------------------------
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Kinky Friedman

2. I think I'm done with dishwashing my glasses as of this morning. Pulled out my Weyerbacher tulip today and it had scrapes from something falling on it when it was getting washed. One of my favorite glasses too.

3. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (275) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

I don't wash. After I drink my beer I dispose of them. Actually, with all this reuse/recycle thing in vogue, I sometimes use them to take a piss before throwing them away. That way they get used twice before disposal. Once I even went number 2 in an oversized tulip.

deadliest likes this.
  4. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

I like to get nice hot and steamy stream flowing. Then, I gently place my chalice in the stream, watching the waves of water caress its sides. Then I lube up a sponge with Dawn real nice (there's really no such thing as too much detergent). Already I can feel the anticipation. I take my soaking wet, hot glass and concentrate first on the rim. I go around and around, first slowly, but with ever-increasing speed. Sometimes a little pressure here is nice. Once I can tell a good lather is going, I shift my attention to the shaft. This is no time to be gentle. I rub up and down, up and down over and over until I can hear the glass squeaking because it's so clean! That's when you know you can stick your whole hand right in it! God I love that part. I take my whole hand, now sloppy and soaked from all the fun I've already had, and plunge it right into the gaping cup (this is why I concentrate on the rim first). Now move it around gently and feel for that special spot. When you feel the sticky part, you know you've found it. Just rub back and forth right there--I find using a "come hither" motion works well. If your fingers get tired, don't be afraid to switch to something like a long-handled brush (don't take it personally--some glasses just can't ever get clean from only your fingers). Once the glass starts squeaking irresistibly from cleanliness, gently pull your hand out and allow that hot water to course over the glass and into the bowl for a few minutes while your relax and towel yourself off (I tend to get splatters all over me and the counter). When you're all done, don't forget to put a towel down under the glass to catch what dribbles out--you always want to be prepared for the wet spot.

Now, some people come on BA and ask, "how do I know if it's clean?" All I have to say is that if you're asking, it's probably not clean. You'll know when it's clean.

5. How was the lacing?

6. richardwarren

richardwarren Initiate (20) Jan 17, 2013

7. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

If I finished a beer and plan on pouring another- hot water rinse and dry with a microfiber cloth.
    End of a drinking session-small amount of mild soap, hot water, air dry.

I fond it hard to believe people would own a glass that literally never sees soap... I guess in theory its fine, but ugh

8. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Hand wash only. Takes 15 seconds.

9. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

If you want to stop nucleation of bubbles, wet the glass and pours salt on the walls and then scrub with your hand and then rinse like all get out. Usually I wash 'em, rinse them well, and only rarely mess with the salt.

10. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

First I drink a warm Delirium right from the bottle. I rinse with the glasses with cold water, fart on them, then yell at them letting them how much they've disappointed me over the years. Works wonders.

11. Washed with hot water and dish detergent. Rinsed cool or cold. And I let them air dry overnight. I have enough glassware that I can use a different glass for every beer I drink.

12. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

I'm confused on this thread. You have to be at lease 21 years of age to drink alcohol, you don't know how to wash a glass. Lets all take a second and think before threading. Cheers

surfcaster and jhartley like this.
  13. I rinse the glass a bit and then sprinkle a little salt and baking soda inside the glass. Usually it uniformly coats the glass but if it doesn't the spots where salt doesnt stick has has oily deposits or something like that. I use my hand and scrub the salt/baking soda around and rinse that and air dry. My glasses are absolutely clean using this method, and no soap.

14. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

How do I keep my glasses clean?

I usually just take 'em off and rub 'em on the bottom of my shirt.

15. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Servants.

DonDirkA and haddon like this.
  16. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I was always told to NEVER use soap, just detergent...dishwashers typically use detergent, not soap. Dishwasher here.

17. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

I follow the procedures described in the Beer 101 article about glassware.

18. I remember reading this thread when my wife was in labor with our son, 10+ months ago! And here it is, back on the front page today. Bizarre.

dennho and franklinn like this.
  19. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

The hot water out of my tap is stupid hot (seriously, I live an an apartment and there's NO REASON for my tap water to be this hot) and is probably about 150-160. I rinse the inside with the hot water and do the outside with soap + hot water. Unless of course I left the glass out by accident after drinking and there's dried beer at the bottom, then I wash the whole thing with soap and warm water, turn the faucet back up to hot and rinse the hell out of the glass for a minute, maybe a minute and a half.

20. joeseppy

joeseppy Savant (285) Illinois Oct 20, 2012

Throw it against the wall, if it doesn't stick......o_O

21. dennho

dennho Savant (335) Massachusetts Oct 29, 2006

My beer glass has never been so clean since I started homebrewing. I use Oxiclean free (no scent) to clean my brewing equipment and it's amazing how clean it gets my beer glass. I think it makes a difference in how my beer looks and tastes.

22. I never use soap and don't see why you would? Hot water,,rinse thoroughly and should be fine. I will say I am really the only one that uses the glasses.

23. Cerveza

Cerveza Aficionado (125) California Jun 26, 2012

I broke a Bruery Chalice and Delirium Tremens after very lightly drying it off with a paper towel, not sure if thats common but it blows to have it happen.

I usually just rinse it out with hot water and either let it dry naturally or paper towel it dry.

24. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

I use standard dish soap and water and then I hand wash with a clean wash rag. I rinse the glass thoroughly to make sure any film is removed. Then I immediately dry with a towel. I still get awesome head retention.

25. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I wash mine with like regular dish soap and rinse the everloving crap out of them...then shake as much water away as I can...and drip dry them on the same racks I use to cool cookies and muffins...diggin' it.

26. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

Good decision IMHO. I used to dishwash all of my beer glassware until I discovered one of my wine glasses had warped due to the heat. I have since been afraid my favorite speciality glasses from certain breweries or my sweet stout and nonic pints would do the same. Not mentioning my hands clean a glass the way I expect them to be cleaned lol.

27. BradtheGreat7

BradtheGreat7 Savant (285) Ohio Jul 22, 2011

No dish washer. The heat is rough on some glassware. Especially thin like stemmed glassware. I learned this the hard way plus nothing can clean glass as well as a determined pair of hands.

Step 1: rinse the glass to clean out anything left over.
    Step 2: run a sink full of nearly hot warm water and let the glass soak for about 5-10 seconds. Note: don't let it sit too long due to the dish washer warping effect.
    Step 3: scrub with some sort of rag, cloth, sponge, etc. but I use my bare hands and it does fine. Plus no scratching with your bare hands.
    Step 4: clean until you are satisfied
    Step 5: lay each glass on a dry towel to let the inside run out the left drops of water. Make sure the glass is upside down tho lol.
    Step 6: after waiting 15-20 minutes finish the drying with a dry towel and then store them wherever you like. Note: if you don't want to wait then just twist the corner of the towel until every inch of the inside is dry then store or pour.
    Step 7: don't let your wife wash them. Do it yourself. Note: I love my wife and she knows her beer. Not bc she is a geek like me but bc she goes on runs for me sometimes and is top notch at finding what I'd buy myself. But just bc she gets good beer for me doesn't mean she cares about my glassware being clean lol or that she would clean them to my specifications lol.

28. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Savant (250) Nevada Jan 26, 2011

If you use "soft water" you shouldn't have any problems with spots.

29. Handwash with really hot water, give it a good rinse, maybe use your hand to scrub the inside of the glass. Add a spec of dish soap if you want, then a cool rinse. Shake that glass dry, but not too hard, I just broke a snifter that way. I seem to always get really nice lacing, depending on the beer of course.

30. Put them in he dishwasher with everything else. Have had a problem with head retention.

mcrago and rocdoc1 like this.
  31. LAD

LAD Aficionado (195) Texas Apr 16, 2008

When I can't hardly see anymore I clean my glasses. I have these little wipee things I got from Walmart and they work pretty good.

32. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Use soap, hand wash, dry, then rinse with cold water before use. There's no need to dry it a second time. One way you can tell if your glass is clean enough is when no bubbles stick to the side of the glass. I notice that a lot of really good beer bars I frequent don't give an extra rinse, and there's usually at least one part of the glass where bubbles stick, but this is not so with bars that rinse before serving.

33. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Savant (425) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

I use a bit of soap, hot water and just hand wash it and scrub the inside and outside with my hands. I then rinse off with cool water and let it sit out on a drying rack. Never had a problem, but depending on whether you have soft or hard water makes a difference too.

34. i dishwasher all my glasses, never a warp, scratch, head problem, etc. i do use all natural detergant though. fragrance free.

35. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Savant (270) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

This was hilarious, and I can't believe I read the whole thing. Your right if you have to ask it isn't. There are some questions that just don't need to be asked.

utopiajane likes this.
  36. Hand wash with dish soap and a good hot rinse.
    If you want that Fine Restaurant spotless clean look, dry with coffee filters.

37. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Ridiculous. Just wash them/

MinorThreat and TongoRad like this.
  38. heresy22

heresy22 Savant (390) California Apr 9, 2007

Soap and hot water, either by hand or in the dishwasher.

I hope the bars and restaurants I frequent have higher cleaning standards than most of the posters on this thread.

39. I use a dishwasher. Then before I drink from them I rinse them out and let them air dry. Ive never heard of this "dont use a dishwasher" thing before, but I guess I subconsciously noticed because I started rinsing the glasses before I use them. I have no problems with head retention or lacing. So either my pre-drink rinse method works, or my dishwasher is just badass.

hoppytobehere likes this.
  40. I wash mine in my dishwasher and never have problems. I've even had sticky lacing with Miller Lite. I guess I just have a good dishwasher.