Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

How do you open waxed bottles?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Hophead717, Sep 4, 2012.

1. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (335) New York May 15, 2011 Verified

Saturday I used a founders breakfast stout cap, folded in half, to open a lindley park.
  2. Before I finished reading your post, I immediately thought of dabbing haha. I'm fully using this technique from here on out.
    queens1130 and yamar68 like this.
  3. jegross2

jegross2 Champion (750) Illinois Jan 3, 2010 Verified

ISO. No joke
  4. I use a bottle opener.
  5. That is awesome.
  6. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Advocate (590) Minnesota May 6, 2010 Verified

ASU, I have a couple left, send me a lable to my email and I can put some in hte mail
  7. jedwards

jedwards Savant (340) California Feb 3, 2009

For thin wax, I just get a hefty bottle open under it and pry (I favor the Amco stainless for home use: http://amcohouseworks.com/professional-bottle-opener.html ). For thick wax, I use a foil knife and slice the entire top off (resulting in a circle of wax), then slice straight down the side and push the knife under the wax at the bottom of the bottlecap to peel it off.
  8. robwestcott

robwestcott Advocate (685) Indiana Nov 3, 2008 Verified

got a link for this item ?
  9. robwestcott

robwestcott Advocate (685) Indiana Nov 3, 2008 Verified

or a link for this one too ?
  10. biglobo8971

link for what?? if you want one, pm me and we can work something out, like send me a label and I send you one out.
  11. biglobo8971

will have some with me at CW Anny party, a couple will have your name on it.
    jegross2 likes this.
  12. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,245) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Just about any wine place will have them. Also you can probably buy at Bed Bath & Beyond.
  13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poobah (1,440) California Mar 18, 2010 Verified

I usually cut away the wax with a small knife until I can get a bottle opener under the lip of the cap.
    Greywulfken likes this.
  14. beergumby

beergumby Zealot (80) New Jersey Jan 21, 2012

Now, that's a nice knife!
  15. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (325) California Nov 29, 2012 Verified

This works fine...
  16. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

That looks like you can murder the guy who tries to take your wax sealed beer.
  17. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (325) California Nov 29, 2012 Verified

lol...or tip em a pour *Cheers
  18. Prospero

Prospero Champion (775) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

19. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Advocate (570) Colorado Dec 9, 2011 Verified

I would stick a wick in it and blow it out before it heated the bottle up too much. Good way to bring your beer up to room temp too.
  20. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

j/k of course. I just hack away at the wax until I can fit a regular bottle opener in there. Need to get one of those Swiss-army corkscrews!
  21. I have have of one these and never knew what it was used for lol...
  22. Carnasses

Carnasses Zealot (75) California Jul 10, 2013

23. sonoma01

sonoma01 Savant (270) Wisconsin Dec 3, 2010 Verified

I use a Yopener!
    duceswild likes this.
  24. PatrickInAustinTx

PatrickInAustinTx Advocate (510) Texas Nov 16, 2013 Verified

I tell people this all the time but if you get a small piece of wood and screw a cap screw into one end it will do the trick. I open bruery bottles all the time just by jamming the sharp edge of the screw cap through the wax and then just pooping them off. It seriously takes me 5 seconds. It took me longer to find a screw in my junk hardware drawer than it did to make it too lol. Sure I could have pre-drilled the screw hole and kept it from cracking but I don't care really.

Oh and it preserves the cap perfectly. People can hate all they want on how crappy this looks but I have been opening bottles with it for at least a year and a half. It works on every bottle (unlike the gropener) and if it ever breaks I can just cut off the end and screw another screw in.

25. Prospero

Prospero Champion (775) Colorado Jul 27, 2010 Verified

26. PatrickInAustinTx

Autocorrect owns me haha
    creepinjeeper and blue-dream like this.
  27. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poobah (1,135) New York Aug 25, 2010 Verified

Typically me, too.
    But I have pulled this off once or twice.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  28. [​IMG]
  29. PatrickInAustinTx

I have the Trappist one and it can't get through the wax. I have also hand made around 50 bottle openers in my shop for gifts and such. Some really nice ones that I took my time with. My favorite is still my ugly stick though.
    blue-dream and imamutant like this.
  30. sneezeallday

sneezeallday Aficionado (115) Oklahoma Nov 22, 2014 Verified

I use a YOpener and you should too
  31. SlothB77

SlothB77 Savant (435) Virginia Dec 28, 2012 Verified

So far my method has been to use a knife, almost accidentally stabbing myself in the neck each time i open a new bottle. What is the best trick to opening a wax-dripped bottle?
    JMS1512 likes this.
  32. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Poobah (1,080) Virginia Sep 9, 2013 Verified

33. Hold the knife like you normally would but rest your thumb along the spine. Keep the knife pressed against the wax and rock in around the bottle until you have cut completely around. After that is done you should be able to use the point of the knife to go up the cut and take the wax off of the top of the neck.
  34. sharpski

sharpski Champion (800) Oregon Oct 11, 2010 Verified

Use your elbows to extend the cutting area on the bottle away from your jugular vein? Don't waste time getting the wax off the top of the cap, just cut around the bottleneck under the cap to give your bottle opener a place to pry. In my experience 95% come off pretty easily, and the other 5% the wax is just determined to be a dick about it so you either spend 10 minutes hacking away at it or get a lighter and melt it off. Potentially messy, but less life threatening that stabbing yourself in the neck.

Also, make sure you have the right knife/tool for the job. Something that has a pointy edge to cut through the wax, obviously, but a shape thats natural for you to hold it and the bottle stable in one hand without risking harm to you if the tool catches or slips. I have an old railroad spike for a bottle opener: the head has a notch in it to pry the cap off, and the other end is pointy enough to dig through wax without being a sharp cutting edge to hurt me.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  35. JMS1512

JMS1512 Champion (880) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013 Verified

The above mentioned methods are good- I'd like to add that you should sort of think of it as cutting the foil off the top of a wine bottle. That's roughly from where I cut my wax seal on a beer bottle, just under the cap.
  36. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Champion (875) Illinois Nov 8, 2012 Verified

I use a 75 cent paint key from the local hardware store. The end for opening the paint cans is just sharp enough to score the wax around the bottom of the cap without damaging your digits. The other end is a decent bottle opener. (If you're into collecting caps like me, it'll remove the cap without any damage.)
    sharpski likes this.
  37. AlexM

AlexM Advocate (605) California Jun 9, 2011 Verified

sonoma01 likes this.