1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

How do you open waxed bottles?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Hophead717, Sep 4, 2012.

1. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

Saturday I used a founders breakfast stout cap, folded in half, to open a lindley park.

2. Before I finished reading your post, I immediately thought of dabbing haha. I'm fully using this technique from here on out.

queens1130 and yamar68 like this.
  3. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (725) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

ISO. No joke

4. I use a bottle opener.

5. That is awesome.

6. ASU, I have a couple left, send me a lable to my email and I can put some in hte mail

7. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

For thin wax, I just get a hefty bottle open under it and pry (I favor the Amco stainless for home use: http://amcohouseworks.com/professional-bottle-opener.html ). For thick wax, I use a foil knife and slice the entire top off (resulting in a circle of wax), then slice straight down the side and push the knife under the wax at the bottom of the bottlecap to peel it off.

8. got a link for this item ?

9. or a link for this one too ?

10. link for what?? if you want one, pm me and we can work something out, like send me a label and I send you one out.

11. will have some with me at CW Anny party, a couple will have your name on it.

jegross2 likes this.
  12. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,235) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Just about any wine place will have them. Also you can probably buy at Bed Bath & Beyond.

13. I usually cut away the wax with a small knife until I can get a bottle opener under the lip of the cap.

14. beergumby

beergumby Zealot (80) New Jersey Jan 21, 2012

Now, that's a nice knife!

15. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (300) California Nov 29, 2012

This works fine...
    [​IMG]

16. sirtomtom

sirtomtom Savant (260) California Dec 10, 2010

That looks like you can murder the guy who tries to take your wax sealed beer.

17. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (300) California Nov 29, 2012

lol...or tip em a pour *Cheers

18. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (685) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

19. I would stick a wick in it and blow it out before it heated the bottle up too much. Good way to bring your beer up to room temp too.

20. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

[​IMG]

j/k of course. I just hack away at the wax until I can fit a regular bottle opener in there. Need to get one of those Swiss-army corkscrews!

21. I have have of one these and never knew what it was used for lol...