Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Hophead717, Sep 4, 2012.
Saturday I used a founders breakfast stout cap, folded in half, to open a lindley park.
Before I finished reading your post, I immediately thought of dabbing haha. I'm fully using this technique from here on out.
ISO. No joke
I use a bottle opener.
That is awesome.
ASU, I have a couple left, send me a lable to my email and I can put some in hte mail
For thin wax, I just get a hefty bottle open under it and pry (I favor the Amco stainless for home use: http://amcohouseworks.com/professional-bottle-opener.html ). For thick wax, I use a foil knife and slice the entire top off (resulting in a circle of wax), then slice straight down the side and push the knife under the wax at the bottom of the bottlecap to peel it off.
got a link for this item ?
or a link for this one too ?
link for what?? if you want one, pm me and we can work something out, like send me a label and I send you one out.
will have some with me at CW Anny party, a couple will have your name on it.
Just about any wine place will have them. Also you can probably buy at Bed Bath & Beyond.
I usually cut away the wax with a small knife until I can get a bottle opener under the lip of the cap.
Now, that's a nice knife!
This works fine...
That looks like you can murder the guy who tries to take your wax sealed beer.
lol...or tip em a pour *Cheers
I use one of these:
I would stick a wick in it and blow it out before it heated the bottle up too much. Good way to bring your beer up to room temp too.
j/k of course. I just hack away at the wax until I can fit a regular bottle opener in there. Need to get one of those Swiss-army corkscrews!
I have have of one these and never knew what it was used for lol...
I use a Yopener!
I tell people this all the time but if you get a small piece of wood and screw a cap screw into one end it will do the trick. I open bruery bottles all the time just by jamming the sharp edge of the screw cap through the wax and then just pooping them off. It seriously takes me 5 seconds. It took me longer to find a screw in my junk hardware drawer than it did to make it too lol. Sure I could have pre-drilled the screw hole and kept it from cracking but I don't care really.
Oh and it preserves the cap perfectly. People can hate all they want on how crappy this looks but I have been opening bottles with it for at least a year and a half. It works on every bottle (unlike the gropener) and if it ever breaks I can just cut off the end and screw another screw in.
Autocorrect owns me haha
Typically me, too.
But I have pulled this off once or twice.
I have the Trappist one and it can't get through the wax. I have also hand made around 50 bottle openers in my shop for gifts and such. Some really nice ones that I took my time with. My favorite is still my ugly stick though.
I use a YOpener and you should too
So far my method has been to use a knife, almost accidentally stabbing myself in the neck each time i open a new bottle. What is the best trick to opening a wax-dripped bottle?
Hold the knife like you normally would but rest your thumb along the spine. Keep the knife pressed against the wax and rock in around the bottle until you have cut completely around. After that is done you should be able to use the point of the knife to go up the cut and take the wax off of the top of the neck.
Use your elbows to extend the cutting area on the bottle away from your jugular vein? Don't waste time getting the wax off the top of the cap, just cut around the bottleneck under the cap to give your bottle opener a place to pry. In my experience 95% come off pretty easily, and the other 5% the wax is just determined to be a dick about it so you either spend 10 minutes hacking away at it or get a lighter and melt it off. Potentially messy, but less life threatening that stabbing yourself in the neck.
Also, make sure you have the right knife/tool for the job. Something that has a pointy edge to cut through the wax, obviously, but a shape thats natural for you to hold it and the bottle stable in one hand without risking harm to you if the tool catches or slips. I have an old railroad spike for a bottle opener: the head has a notch in it to pry the cap off, and the other end is pointy enough to dig through wax without being a sharp cutting edge to hurt me.
The above mentioned methods are good- I'd like to add that you should sort of think of it as cutting the foil off the top of a wine bottle. That's roughly from where I cut my wax seal on a beer bottle, just under the cap.
I use a 75 cent paint key from the local hardware store. The end for opening the paint cans is just sharp enough to score the wax around the bottom of the cap without damaging your digits. The other end is a decent bottle opener. (If you're into collecting caps like me, it'll remove the cap without any damage.)
another vote for YOpener ... freaking love this thing -> https://www.etsy.com/shop/YOpeners
Separate names with a comma.