1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How do you store a 750ml after opening it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I've yet to buy any 750ml (mainly because I'd rather have two different 12oz than just one 750ml), but I'm thinking about giving one a try, since there are a number of beers that seem to be only available in that size. The thing is, it seems like a lot of the beers are 8% or higher, and I like to only usually drink a bottle at a time. How would I go about closing the top of a 750 that doesn't have a cork?

inb4: PUSSY. DRINK IT ALL ... PUSSY.
  2. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

No friends to share with?
    kemoarps likes this.
  3. Alextricity

My "FRIENDS" hate craft beer.
    Kyrojack likes this.
  4. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I usually store it in my stomach. If I dont drink all of it then i store the other half in the stomach of a buddy or two
  5. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

I've used wine stoppers.
    Been perfect the next day.
    More than a day, though, and don't expect much carbonation.
  6. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

Depending on the top (and if you're a homebrewer) you can recap it and it'll last longer.
    Soonami and heatwaves like this.
  7. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (750) Florida Feb 1, 2012

In my tummy
    Jake1605, KWMiles and 420drinker like this.
  8. Start looking for these like leoingle is- Amazon sells 'em and they're usually stocked as "impulse" items at the register or on the barware/accessories rack at the liquor store.
  9. You generally don't try to cork or close a beer that has been opened. Unlike wine, carbonation is a very important part of the beer drinking experience, which will be pretty much lost if you try to reseal it. Provided that you don't have the equipment to CO2 purge the bottle, there will be significant degradation of the beer within hours.
  10. Alextricity

I'd assume they're reusable, right?
  11. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2013

I've seen so much tactless solicitation for beer pouches on this site that every time I see mention of one now, I think it's spam. It really makes me not want to give them a chance.
    RStang13, Vonerichs and 4kbrianb like this.
  12. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

my preferred method:
  13. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Internally.

Wait, that didn't come out right :oops:
    Soonami and Lantern like this.
  14. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Seriously, I don't. If I look in the fridge and think I can't/won't drink that much, I grab a 12oz.
    pointyskull and LambicPentameter like this.
  15. Geez, I hope so. I had some old metal ones that had to be over 50 years old that I remember using on returnable glass quarts of soda pop that I only threw out a few years ago when after the rubber gaskets finally gave it up...
  16. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

It goes in the garbage after I'm done
    RobertColianni likes this.
  17. Alextricity

Really using that one again?
  18. Yep. Every time.
    ilovermont and RobertColianni like this.
  19. Alextricity

I have an empty swingtop, but it's a half-liter bottle, so that doesn't help me. I don't think I've ever seen a 12oz swingtop.
  20. Traditionalbrewer

Traditionalbrewer Aspirant (45) Mar 19, 2013

Hey, no offense. It was an open question asking for a solution. I just mentioned the best option I know of, and it happens to be a new alternative that apparently you haven't used yet. As for me, I hate losing half a 750 at the end of the night, it's dang expensive and a waste of quality product worthy of saving. If there is a better option that can eliminate oxygenation and extend some life of a beer, I am all for it.
  21. BlueMusic

BlueMusic Aspirant (40) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Put the remainder from the 25oz/22oz into a smaller bottle (12oz, 11.2oz, 7oz, whatever ) till it reaches into neck of smaller bottle, then there is less air in container and liquid surface area in contact with air, and use a good rubber stopper to cap like some stores have for wine. Depending on the beer it will hold for a day or two, still not great for highly carbonated beers, but fine for some imperial stouts, porters, wee heavies. Works fine for instances such as weeknights when you don't want to have 4-5 beers worth of alcohol, and no one in house wants to split.
  22. alelover

alelover Advocate (560) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

just save it for a night that you know youll drink the whole thing. while drinkable the next day imo its just not the same.
    AdamP and JrGtr like this.
  23. The Bruery used to sell a spring loaded stopper that would catch on the neck of the bottle. I've used it and it works great but I've only stored it for a day
    jgluck likes this.
  24. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

I hope you're giving the bros some kickback for all of the advertising you do on this site.

Though I agree with lunarbrew, you keep crapping up threads with beerpouch shilling... Yet without labeling it as an advertisement or mentioning that you work for the company. Highly unethical, and makes me (and many others) not want to give you any of our money, ever.
  25. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

26. Unless its a Lost Abbey beer, in which case you can drink it up to a week later. Can't lost carbonation if it ain't there to begin with.
    RobertColianni and jmdrpi like this.
  27. 1. You need new friends
    2. What is this storing beer after opening you speak of?
  28. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

In your belly!
  29. Alextricity

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6513/15578/

I've had this one emptied for a few months. I've cleaned it out with soap and pretty much boiling water to get it as clean as possible. Will air dry, buy a 750, and try it out.

It's not 12oz (it's 16ish), and it's not see-through (will be difficult to see the suds/beer ratio), but it'll do for now.
  30. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (480) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

If you think it's bad now, wait until you see him peddling it beer events.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/must-hit-beer-events.78270/
  31. Coolrewl

Coolrewl Zealot (90) South Dakota Mar 23, 2013

Find new friends! :D
  32. Soonami

Soonami Savant (445) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

You definitely don't want to do this for a couple reasons. By pouring, you are introducing the beer to more oxygen, which can stale the beer. The act of pouring will reduce the carbonation still left in the beer. Unless you are a homebrewer, it is unlikely that the new bottle is is more sanitary that the bottle the brewery packaged the beer in.
    luckytalisman and jesskidden like this.
  33. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (235) California Jul 12, 2012

yes, definitely storing in the bladder
  34. [​IMG]

Invest in a hermetus bottle opener and resealer. The beer won't taste the same due to a loss of carbonation and increase in oxygen levels of the beer, but its better than nothing.
    kemoarps, mecummins and Soonami like this.
  35. Soonami

Soonami Savant (445) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

Seen these used at some homebrew competitions where judges will open a beer, pour and reseal incase they need to come back to it later
    mecummins likes this.
  36. Only once could I not finish a bomber but it was after a day of drinking.. It was enjoy by 4/1/13, so I put the top back on and it was fine the next day!
  37. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

chanokokoro likes this.
  38. [​IMG]
    I have used wine bottle vacuum resealers before as well. They are pretty cheap, and the advantage is that it pumps out oxygen while a hermetus bottle resealer does not.

I definitely wouldn't let open beer sit for long though.
    Hypersomnia likes this.
  39. sicilian

sicilian Aficionado (240) Florida Sep 30, 2008

Nice hopry video !
    First time seeing a Wedding Ring(assumption) used as a bottle opener...
    May be the only good reason to get married. :)

I usually only open a larger bottle when I'm sharing or plan on finishing it so as to not have to deal with resealing etc.
  40. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (540) California Jan 23, 2013

This was funny the first time, but it lost it's magic on the 4th or 5th recycle. Kids understand this comedic foul at an early age when the adults don't laugh the second or third time they tell the cute little joke that got a reaction the first time. With some kids, you have to explain to them how and why it's no longer funny...some kids. ;)