How does 6 month old Hopslam taste?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by slvrmon82, Jun 12, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slvrmon82

slvrmon82 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2007 Delaware

This has to be way past its prime right now correct? Thanks.

Cheers, Matt

2. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Initiate (0) Dec 8, 2009 Illinois

Oh sure, it's past its prime, but I imagine it'll still be good. Good beer is good beer. Just know going it that it won't be the same as fresh and you'll enjoy it.

3. Celtic001

Celtic001 Initiate (0) May 9, 2012 Massachusetts

Yes. Simply Put.

4. Prospero

Prospero Pooh-Bah (2,606) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Probably past it's prime, yes. That typically just means the hops are less strong in flavor and aroma has dropped off.

I just had an Olde Hickory Death by Hops that was 6-months old and it's wasn't bad.... just probably not as intended.

5. dbossman

dbossman Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Nebraska

It's not as good obviously, but I just enjoyed one the other day and have had one as old as a year. It loses its wonderful hop aroma, but it's still a decent beer.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  6. mtlasley

mtlasley Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2012 Illinois

It's quite past it's prime and while the hops have faded off, it's not too bad. The malt more than makes up for the hop absence and while this isn't how Bell's intend I drink it, I like a lot of stronger IPAs/DIPAs with a little age on them. Of course, you can't beat fresh.

i.e Good beer old, not what Bell's wanted, doesn't hold a candle to fresh.

7. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

fantastic! Cheers.

8. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,213) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

...Like (6) month old Hop Slam...

syu3003 likes this.
  9. xnicknj

xnicknj Initiate (0) May 25, 2009 Pennsylvania

six times worse than it did six months ago.

mythaeus and biglobo8971 like this.
  10. jpsy422

jpsy422 Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2009 Illinois

The honey comes up to the front and the hops fall off. If you aren't a huge hophead, you may even like it more than fresh. I had one last week and it was delicious.

funhog, mikul93, Lexo430 and 2 others like this.
  11. lakestclairgoose

lakestclairgoose Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2008 Michigan

it's like kissing your grandma with your tongue..... yech

12. markmiller

markmiller Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2010 New York

My first and only experience with Hopslam was a bottle that was 6 months old. Judging by talk, it probably fell off a touch, but it was still one of the best DIPA I've ever had.

stevegoz likes this.
  13. Hophead717

Hophead717 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Massachusetts

For whatever reason, people seem to enjoy non-super fresh Hopslam. I don't get it, but I'd certainly try the beer. Worst case is that it's a drain pour. I can't imagine it getting any better than it is currently, though.

14. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

What's the actually question here? If it's

Q: Should I drink this Hopslam that I have lying around, or gift it to someone else, then
    A: Drink up!

If it's

Q: Should I spend $18-20 on this sixer of Hopslam that I just saw on the shelf, then
    A: No, get something fresher and even more delicious for up to about half that price.

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

In IPA years, six month old Hopslam is 146 years old..for Christ sake man drain pour it.

bozodogbreath and drperry11 like this.
  16. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Even fresh Hopslam is a little too sweet for my taste, and at 6 months old the hops have faded, and the maltiness would be over bearing. Just how my palate hits on older big DIPA's. Drinkable? O course, but far better fresh, they're meant to be fresh. If you have one lying around by all means drink it, it you found a stray sixer pass in a hurry as mentioned above.

17. mychalg9

mychalg9 Pooh-Bah (2,061) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

The first time I bought Hopslam I preferred the bottles that I drank later to the ones I drank immediately. There was probably a good 4 to 6 weeks in between when I bought it and when I finished it. The second 6 pack I drank too quickly to get much of a difference. Just try yours and see what you think.

18. bhir

bhir Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2011 Pennsylvania

in b4 world class barleywine!

19. slvrmon82

slvrmon82 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2007 Delaware

Thanks for your help. Was offered it in a trade recently and was just wondering how it was holding up!

Cheers, Matt

20. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

The better DIPA's live around that 8% mark, Pliny/HT/Alpine. The higher ABV brings the sweetness level beyond where I usually like it. Then you have the exception like Hopsickle at 9.4ABV that's not overly sweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.