1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment How does a person accurately review a beer that you really don't like?

Discussion in 'Site' started by weonfire, Jan 20, 2013.

1. weonfire

weonfire Savant (360) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

I hosted a beer taste and review party last night. 8 people. 8 beers. 4 oz pours. Each beer blindly tasted. Actual beer names revealed after all taste/review has been complete. One beer brought was a Smoked Porter. I happen not to be a fan of smoked porters. I felt my review was unfairly bias and I gradely it lower than it should have been. How can I fairly grade this beer, or any other beer in the future I dislike?

2. From How To Review a Beer on this site:

I'd also say that accurately reviewing beers tasted "blind" is going to be particularly difficult if one doesn't at least know the style of beer.

3. I love the 1sies across the board reviews prefaced by "I really don't like IPAs..."

Facepalm.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  4. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

There are qualities to beers you can judge and appreciate even if you don't like them. For example, I do not love hoppy beers. However, if you drink a few you can start to classify them and might even find, like me, that it's not the hops you dislike, it's the malt you miss. You can seperate what you don't like and sort the rest out for a fair review. Frankly, I have never bought a smoked beer because the idea of smokey taste in beer sounds so nasty to me I won't even try it.:D

5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

If I don't like a beer because I'm not a fan of the style, I simply won't post a review. If I dislike a beer because it has flaws and is not true to style, yet claims to be, I'll review it.

BeastLU likes this.
  6. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Just write whatever tastes like. Its not brain surgery.

highdesertdrinker and maximum12 like this.
  7. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Exactly this...what didn't you like about it. What characteristics were a total negative for you?

8. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

Yes, but don't give a horrible number review to a rauchbier based on it being 'smokey'

9. Total BS: "You're not going to get to know a beer off of a single 4oz sample."

Four ounces is plenty to get to know a beer and do an acurate review. One gulp isn't enough to get to know a beer, therefore anyone gulping four ounces at a time is "not going to get to know a beer off of a single 4oz sample."

zach60614 and johzac like this.
  10. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Obviously someone not familiar w/the style in this case rauchbier. BUT, with any style there is good and bad. I've had rauchbier that was too much smoke, or fake artificial tasting smoke or the smokiness was just not palatable or having a smoked meat characteristic. But I totally agree, don't be generic, show your work.

11. I think the OP was asking about the number rating.

12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I agree with the suggestion BA puts out, if you donnt like a style, don't review it. The few smoked beers I have had I rather enjoyed. But I have only had a few, and don't feel I know the style well enough to review these beers. My opinion would be biased.

13. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I only review beers that I would actually order or drink. My review typically come out higher than the average but I feel like that is because I typically review beers I like.

14. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

My apologies then. Perhaps it would have helped if I actually read the post. I do that sometimes. :confused:

15. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (930) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

By the same token, how does one "accurately" (by which I assume you mean "fairly") review/rate a beer style that one inordinately likes? Either way, it doesn't sound all that "fair" or "objective", does it?

The bottom line is that we're all gonna have some set of expectations for every given beer, providing us all with our own respective and often varying biases. As such, there is probably no such thing as a truly "objective" rating of just about anything, let alone something as subjective as the taste of a beer. As such, nothing in a review is as important for the reader as the words, which set up the justifications for the numerical ratings. So long as you explain why you like or dislike a beer, we can all get where you're coming from. (Hence, I still find some value in the reviews that rate the beer poorly and then go on to say that the reviewer doesn't like the style, as it means that it fits the generally accepted characteristics of the style.)

16. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

well, I do think there is something to the having to like a style in order to review a beer.... because I only feel familiar enough with dark beer styles to give an accurate assessment.

17. It depends whether you are rating "objectively" against style guidelines or some other set criteria or rating subjectively per your own preferences. (I use the quotation marks simply because you can't really objectively rate beer because everybody tastes differently.) If you are rating a beer "objectively" then whether you like it or not isn't a factor. You describe it against the guidelines. If you are rating it subjectively then sure, anything you really don't like regardless of how well constructed it is should get a low score and conversely for beers you like. If you're rating among a group of people, seems like you should figure that out first.

This really goes to the heart of the silliness of the rating system here and elsewhere. You don't know what standards the person reviewing it is using and whether they are trying to be objective or going by their subjective tastes. Biere de garde is a great example. Lots of reviews of BdG complain that there's not enough hop character or it's too malty. That's the style. How do you rate down a beer for being exactly what it should be? You must be ill informed and/or reviewing it completely by your own personal preferences. There's also plenty of obvious misinformation among the reviews. Oud bruin might be my favorite style for misinformation. Lots of reviews complaining that it's not lambic-like enough.

18. Some people are very good at isolating the desired characteristics of a style and rating it on that basis. If you're downgrading a beer because you don't like the style or because IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE, then for god's sake shut up.

19. weonfire

weonfire Savant (360) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

I didn't mention price whats so ever. please re-read the thread.

20. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,080) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I agree that many, many people are incapable of giving an objective review of a style they dislike. But that's the way it is on a general public format.

Not everyone is lacking in this ability though. There are plenty of foods, for example, that I eat and I don't really care for and yet I can still make some very objective & accurate judgments about how good that food is. Same for a few wine styles that are just not enjoyable. But I can certainly make judgments about a good Merlot vs. a mediocre one.