1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How does Busch Light win a medal for anything?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KYGunner, Oct 13, 2012.

1. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (490) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

I recently was listening to the radio and heard that Busch Light won a silver medal for best light lager at the Great American Beer Festival. This reminded me that Old Milwaukee once advertised the gold medal in the same festival in the late 90's. how is this possible? Have you tried these beers? They are awful. Was there only one or two beers in the category? I'm hoping a beer judge is on the forum and can explain how the beers are chosen and how these beers become medal winners.

2. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

You pay to play. I'm not sure how large the field is but a beer had to medal....

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  3. For 2012, the medals for Category 33 American-Style Lager, Light Lager or Premium Lager ( with 51 Entries) were:

Gold: Pabst Blue Ribbon, Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, CA​
    Silver: Miller Lite, Miller Brewing Co., Milwaukee, WI​
    Bronze: Keystone Light, Coors Brewing Co., Golden, CO​

The GABF 2012 Winners pdf doesn't list Busch Light as winning any medals that I see, nor does the search function turn up any past Busch Light medals either than I can find - the regular Busch won twice, 1988 and '89 in the then "American Pilsener" category.

As for "How?"... that'll happen with true blind judging.

4. Aforaker

Aforaker Aspirant (30) Oct 10, 2012

Non of those beer should be any where near that list of winners. Judges must be poor college students cuz that's all who drinks this crap. Not to long ago I was one of these unfortunate people...

5. KYGunner

KYGunner Savant (490) Kentucky Sep 16, 2012

In 2011 Busch Light won in category 32 American lager, light lager premium lager. Old Milwaukee won the gold. There were 55 entries. I was fully unaware of just how many categories there were, so thank you for the heads up.

6. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I'd choose Busch Light over Miller Lite or Keystone Light (and I'm a Sconnie)...PBR has gained quite a following around here for the 20something crowd (at $10/12-pack, it is cheaper than Bud and MGD)...on my list to try (but near the bottom).