1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How fast do Heady Topper sell out @ the cannery?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by AuntEdna, Jan 29, 2013.

1. AuntEdna

AuntEdna Member

I plan on flying into Burlington on Friday morning and getting to the cannery around 2pm, what are my chances of getting 4-5 cases? How fast do they normally sell out? Will be visiting in early March. Thanks for your advice! I would hate fly all that way and get shut out.
  2. jomobono

jomobono Member

Someone recently said they are doing 3 case limits now. From their twitter posts it looks like they are selling out the day after they can. They can on Monday and Thursday. The Monday canning might make it to Wednesday, last week I think the Thursday canning only made it to Friday. So if you want my advise- visit on a Monday or Thursday.

EDIT: I checked their Facebook page, for the last two weeks they sold out on Friday. Last week the Monday made it to Wednesday, week before they sold out on Tuesday.
  3. seanwhite

seanwhite Member

The Thursday canning just sold out today.
    omniscientcause likes this.
  4. celfan

celfan Member

The last couple weeks have been slower sell outs for Heady and Lawson's.
  5. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Member

The key here is visiting in early March. By then you should be able to get as much as you want due to their increased capacity
  6. AuntEdna

AuntEdna Member

Thank you! We will plan on getting to the cannery on Friday but will stay as late as monday to get some cases for the 14 hour drive home!
  7. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

It totally depends on if the increased capacity is up or not. Without it, you will get zero cases on Friday afternoon. With it, you should have no problem getting a couple. No idea if they'll sell you that many though, even with the increased capacity.
  8. jomobono

jomobono Member

9. jomobono

jomobono Member

Smart man
  10. AuntEdna

AuntEdna Member

Thanks again! I've never been to Vermont. Looking to visit Hill Farmstead as well. What bars, restaurants etc. would you recommend checking out in the Burlington area? I love double IPA's. Never had Lawson's. Where shld i go?
  11. jomobono

jomobono Member

jtdolla911 and ILOVESTOUTS like this.
  12. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Member

Lawson's will be at the Montpelier Farmers Market March 2nd and should have Double Sunshine at that one.
  13. seanwhite

seanwhite Member

My sarcasm failed. I was inferring that it has been selling out so quickly that this coming Thursday's batch was already sold out.
  14. jomobono

jomobono Member

AAAAH! In that case that is funny.
  15. jbertsch

jbertsch Member

Crazy to think how last March I was able to buy some on Sunday...
  16. jamvt

jamvt Member

They start canning well before they open on Monday and the retail shop opens at 11. Typically they unlock the door around 10:45 and are happy to let you purchase at that time. Good luck!
    BostonBiosafety likes this.
  17. mendonjoebeer

mendonjoebeer Member

You should make sure you try some Lawson's IPA or DIPA either on tap or in bottles. In bottles at the Warren store on fridays I believe, or on tap at Farmhouse Tap and Grill in Burlington or at the pubs in Waterbury.
  18. SixBitsKyle

SixBitsKyle Member

I made the drive on January 11th (Friday) and got there at 1:10pm and they had five 4-packs left.

As for bars in the area, check out the following:

Three Penny Taproom:
    www.threepennytaproom.com

Prohibition Pig:
    www.prohibitionpig.com
    brystmar likes this.
  19. AuntEdna

AuntEdna Member

I heard there is a 4 bottle max at the warren store. Don't know if that's true or not? Any other shops in the area that sell Lawson's IPA' other than the Warren store? Look forward to drinking it on tap
  20. jbertsch

jbertsch Member

That is true.

You can also find Lawsons bottles at the Hunger Mountain Coop in Montpelier... if you catch delivery day right
  21. StylzMC

StylzMC Member

The Reservoir and Prohibition Pig are great places to eat with tons of VT beers on tap including HF and Lawson's. They're in Waterbury about 2-3 miles (guessing) from the Alchemist on the other side of the highway.

Lawson's delivers to Winooski Beverage Warehouse on Friday's. Delivery time is like the cable guy, between 1-4. There's a one bottle limit per beer (ie: you can get 1 chinookerd, 1 kiwi, 1 this, 1 that, etc.).
  22. AuntEdna

AuntEdna Member

Revisiting this forum...How fast are Heady's selling out at the cannary with the bump in production on Friday's?

What's the latest I can get there on Friday and still be able to get a few cases?

Thanks for your help...
  23. pjl44

pjl44 Member

They will announce when they are out on Twitter. Best bet might be to scroll through their feed and see how the last month or two has gone.

https://twitter.com/alchemistbeer
  24. lostsurf24

lostsurf24 Initiate

As an example. I was up there on Thursday the 28th at 11:30AM and the stuff was flying out the door. I grabbed my 4 packs and samples. Plates from all over. Someone I stayed with that weekend bought at least 4 cases so I don't think they were limiting. Though the local stores had signs up they do limit 4 packs per store request. The Cannery was sold out the next day on Friday. The nice woman at Waitseville Wine told me they usually sell out of it at her store in about 2 hours. Best bet is to get there on a Canning day. Cheers!
  25. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Member

To be safe you should get there when it opens on Friday. I went there on Feb 27th (on the canning day) and it looks like it lasted until Friday around 5pm. This was a relatively busy couple of days given that Norma was released at Hill Farmstead, so you shouldn't have a problem getting HT if you go early on friday.

There's definitely no limits either. The 4 guys in front of me bought 25 cases.

yes. 25.
  26. Auror

Auror Member

They increased production but also moved canning day from Thursday to Wednesday. Looks like it made it to Friday afternoon this past week. Probably will be close for you.
  27. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

Serious question - if they're selling out so quick, and they know they're selling out so quick even with the increased production, why not just lower the limits? A case per person is plenty reasonable. I'd even argue that a 12-pack at peak times is a decent amount.
  28. celfan

celfan Member

this is the million dollar question. i guess they just like free distribution to Mass and NJ.
    BeerCosmonaut likes this.
  29. Auror

Auror Member

They told me today they sold 800 cases last week at the cannery with 400 going out to distribution. That's the increased production. They told me a six case limit, but i didn't get anywhere near that and most of the people who came in were buying less than a case.
  30. BeerCosmonaut

BeerCosmonaut Member

I have felt this way for awhile. This is an easy problem to solve and I don't really understand why they haven't set the limits in such a way that it lasts through the weekend. Especially after the recent expansion.

Why let a group of people walk out with 25 cases when they can't make it last? I can understand if they don't want to expand distribution when they don't have to, but jeez they could at least have some to sell to everyone that walks through the door -- they've got enough at this point.
  31. celfan

celfan Member

yeah, or if they closed down when they sold out I could understand. but they are always there.
  32. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Member

Crazy what people demand for this beer given the numbers in this thread
  33. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Member

I'm planning to make a trip up soon from Boston, and instead of opening a new thread, what are the limits and best days/times to go to Hill Farmstead and Lawson's. I plan to hit those and then Alchemist on the way home on Monday. Any advice is appreciated.
  34. celfan

celfan Member

monday is a definite strike out for Hill Farmstead. And probably Lawson IPA's, although there is a chance. It's a good day to hit the Alchemist cannery though after 11 am.
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  35. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Member

Hill Farmstead is closed Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, and Lawson's does not have a brewery you can visit. Probably the best day is Thursday, when Lawson's delivers to the Warren Store, HF is open, and Alchemist is likely to have HT.
    Holmes698, sandman3479 and jtdolla911 like this.
  36. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

Yeah, I don't get it. I struck out on my last trip up there Friday at 2pm, but it didn't bother me too much because I've had plenty of it and I figured they'd be upping production by the next time I went up. Now, it's looking like this is going to remain a very touch purchase on a weekend trip to Waterbury until either the next big capacity upgrade, or they put some limits in place. I realize I could easily setup a trade or call on the local BA's for a favor, but there are tons of people out there that don't have those same options and just want a 4-pack or two.

I get the free distribution angle to an extent, but there's absolutely nothing about what they're doing that screams that they want to be huge and make a billion dollars on HT. You'd think they'd at least want to make it last through most of Saturday for the tourists...
  37. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Member

The ski crowd and beer crowd aren't exactly overlapping.
    Why wouldn't they want to sell out as fast as possible? They are canning more every 3 days.
    SupremePie likes this.
  38. tbeckett

tbeckett Member

I'm driving up from Ottawa, Ontario Friday morning and hoping to be there for about noon or 1. Looks like they're selling out Friday afternoons so it might be tight!
  39. tbeckett

tbeckett Member

Also, how much is a case (24?) at the cannery?
  40. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Member

As long as you get there on a canning day (Monday and Wednesday) you should be fine. Be there at 11am, ready to wait and have some patience.

If you dont show up on a canning day, you are tempting fate.