How fast do Heady Topper sell out @ the cannery?

Discussion in 'New England' started by AuntEdna, Jan 29, 2013.

1. patrickcmcd

patrickcmcd Savant (305) Massachusetts Dec 25, 2010 Verified

about $77.52

2. Well, it completely depends what their goal is. If they just want to maximize sales, then they should raise the prices immediately, because they are clearly way under priced. If they're trying to spread the beer around to as many people as possible, then they should put a limit on it.

Either way, selling out of beer instantly at their current prices just doesn't make a whole lot of sense from any direction. They're currently selling off their beer to the smallest number of people at the lowest price possible, which is a rather odd spot to be in for a publicly open retail shop.

Auror likes this.
  3. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

Maybe their goal is neither of those things. Their current system accomplishes quite a bit:

• Profitability must be solid if they insist their next expansion will be their cap.
    • Keeping the price consistent and low engenders good will with the masses.
    • Regular sellouts keep demand high.
    • Regular sellouts ensure confidence in freshness.
    It will be interesting, though, to see how/when/if this expansion leads to more regular availability down our way. I remember that being one of the original stated outcomes, but haven't heard more and certainly haven't seen it.

4. I don't think any of those bullets would be impacted in the slightest by quantity limits though. Profitability would remain unchanged, and they'd still sellout just as regularly at low prices. Only difference is they'd sell out on Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning instead of Friday morning. Yet they'd be reaching more customers with case limits, which seems to be a net major positive.

I don't know - perhaps they have some grand strategy here, but I'm a bit stumped.

5. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

I was up there two weeks ago and they sold out mid-day Saturday. Put in case limits and you might be right, but you also may not. I think it makes sense to eliminate the case limits after the expansion, see how it goes for a while, then re-examine putting limits back in place. Better to underestimate demand than overestimate it I think.

6. Is it even possible to overestimate demand? It's not a question of if they sell it all, but when

I dunno, maybe by announcing that it sells out every week it makes it that much more buzz worthy? It makes it a pain the ass adventure to get because you have to get there in the middle of the week?

7. I wouldn't be too worried about getting there exactly at 11. Last Wednesday we made it to Alchemist at about 3pm after visiting HF. No line and plenty of Heady to go around.

8. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (710) New York Jun 19, 2009

Just to play devil's advocate... do people realize that, for instance, if I was to go up to the Alchemist on both canning days during the week and buy 10 cases each time and bring them back to NYC and sell them at a reasonable price ($6 per can... less than what lots of bars were charging last time NY got HT) to bars and BA's here, I could MAKE A LIVING doing that?

I agree with the above, its absurd that they've increased production, are still selling out the next day, and refuse to put limits on what can be purchased by individuals...

If I ever lose my job, I'm definitely gonna do this.

9. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (650) California Aug 26, 2009 Verified

With the increased production and the two canning days now being Mon. and Wed, are they selling out of the entire Monday canning before Wednesdays hits the shelves? Last time I was there I picked up 2 4-packs on a Monday evening and there was still plenty around. Seems like it would be mostly locals grabbing it early in the week, with the rest of those cans making it out to the few stores lucky enough to get it. Wednesday rolls around and people start stocking up for the weekend along with more tourists showing up and it's no wonder it sells out before the weekend.

Winter tourism is one thing but it will be interesting to see how it goes once the summer tourism season gets going again. I remember last year it went from lasting most of the weekend in June to selling out constantly by August. Maybe having no limits on Mondays canning but maybe a 2-4 case limit on Wednesdays run could help.

10. I plan on coming through Waterbury in the first week of April....probably Tuesday the 2nd. Hoping I can get some Heady then, but my question is are there any stores in the Waterbury/Burlington area to get Hill Farmstead and maybe Lawson's?

11. They were still selling Monday cans on Wednesday afternoon this week, but he said they were almost through them.

12. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (440) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012 Verified Subscriber

That would be a whopping $1380 per week, not accounting for fuel and vehicle wear and tear. And selling them to bars unless you are licensed to do so would be illegal. Other than that, it is a solid plan.

13. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (710) New York Jun 19, 2009

For arguments sake... $1380 + $160 in gas and tolls + 28 hours invested PER WEEK. Assuming the price I originally stated, you'd make $2280 for a net of about $740 PER WEEK. I don't know what others think but $740 per week TAX FREE for just 28-35 (taking into account that you have to sell the cases) hours of work seems like more than the average person makes at their day jobs.

And yes, you're right, its completely illegal. However, I might be wrong but there's about a 1% chance anyone bothers you about it.

14. Most people make more than 38k/year and have fun doing something with $38k/year in tax free money without getting audited.

Also don't forget wear/tear on your car. Feds assume 56cents/mile is a reasonable cost for gas + wear/tear.

15. dciBA

dciBA Savant (390) Maine Dec 23, 2007

so the answer is, it do sell out fast. question answered, lock thread. Bros be slippin these days.

youbrewidrink and bruindre like this.
  16. God forbid we have an interesting discussion surrounding why they are selling out...

17. The grammar in this thread title has been grating on me for days.

DOES

I feel better now.

Horbar and omniscientcause like this.
  18. dciBA

dciBA Savant (390) Maine Dec 23, 2007

God forbid someone cracks a joke. This forum has gotten way too uptight lately.

bruindre likes this.
  19. jomobono

jomobono Savant (435) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012 Subscriber

You have to go to Hill Farmstead to purchase their offerings.

Hungry Mountain Coop for Lawsons, call them frist to see if they have any.

Imstillthegman likes this.
  20. So the long and the short of it is: Monday canning sticks around until Wednesday morning-ish and Wednesday canning sticks around until Friday evening-ish. Kosher?

21. jomobono

jomobono Savant (435) Massachusetts Mar 12, 2012 Subscriber

Also the Warren store if you want to drive a bit more for Lawson's, call first

Imstillthegman likes this.
  22. This is an aside, but what happened to your old avatar? Do you change them by the season? I'm a huge White Mountains / Presidential Range fan, so keep it up.

23. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (650) California Aug 26, 2009 Verified

I never thought of changing them with the season but I could. The old avatar of Franconia Ridge from Lonesome Lake was from when I worked at the Lonesome Lake hut as the winter caretaker a couple of years ago. Now, I work as the caretaker for the shelters up at Tuckerman Ravine (affectionately know as HoJo's to many) so I changed it to a Tux photo

24. most people do not make more than 38k/year after taxes. in fact, 38k per year is in the top 35% before taxes. just a heads up. maybe most people on these forums do though.

25. I was speaking to this and not the US in general :)

26. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Advocate (640) California Jan 2, 2010 Verified

In 14 hours I'm guessing only one can makes it back alive...

OtisCampbell likes this.
  27. I just gotta say I love ur avatar! That movie kills me I just watched it.. Lmao

28. BrockettBrewing

BrockettBrewing Aficionado (205) Vermont Mar 17, 2013 Verified

As mentioned Hunger Mtn. Co-op in Montpelier gets Lawson's, and so does Beverage Mart in Winooski, both get their deliveries on friday, and there's usually a 1 bottle per person limit in winooski and a 2 bottle limit in montpelier. You could also try the Warren store as others have mentioned, but call first.

AuntEdna and Imstillthegman like this.
  29. DoctorB2B

DoctorB2B Savant (490) Virginia Jun 29, 2009 Verified

I didn't read page one, but an FYI, Heady will be seeing another increase in production in the next few weeks .... so for those who can't find it on Saturdays, there's a better chance you'll start seeing it available all days of the week and more than likely you'll have a better chance at it at your favorite retail spot .... if this post is a repeat of something already said, then I hate myself and apologize ....

jamvt and jomobono like this.
  30. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (665) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

It do bother me as well, it do.

vonnegut21 likes this.
  31. Love the area, love VT, and in reality if I have someone with me and some tunes I have no problem driving to the Alchemist and making a day of the trip. Super nice people and fun town. The part that kills me is the fact that right now it pretty much has to be a weekday. So for us 9-5rs that kinda need to save the days off for more important reasons then just beer(thoguh a good one) it kills us that much more. But for some reason...I kinda dig the idea of an almost impossible to get excellent beer. Made it that much more fun when I finally was able to get to the Cannery.

bruindre likes this.
  32. on the bright side, you can drink some Jack's Abbey and tide yourself over for a few weeks :)

bruindre and lostsurf24 like this.
  33. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (400) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

I'll be head(y)ing up there the second weekend in May. Because we're going to Montreal, I won't be able to get anything Sat,(damn liquor import/export laws) so I'm hoping they'll have some left Sun on our way back. Does anyone know offhand if any store in Waterbury sell Lawson's and/or Hill Farmstead?

34. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

None in Waterbury, but stop in Montpelier on your way up. Hunger Mtn is a quick 5 mins off the highway and they stock Lawsons, Heady, and very rarely HFS. Might be all sold out of heady and Lawson's on a saturday, though!

35. you can definitely bring beer over/back as long as the quantity isn't ridiculous.

36. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

ZERO chance they have any Sunday and little to no chance they have any Saturday. Either drive up Friday morning (might not have any) or come back Monday morning (guaranteed to have it). Also, you're driving from MA to Montreal for a day?

37. So, I'm looking to come up (flying) to NE this summer. Is there a good retail store to find Lawson's, HF, Long Trail, etc? Not sure if I'll be able to hit up too many breweries (the wife ain't much of a drinker and I want to keep her happy).

38. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Where in NE? You're only gonna buy Lawson's and HF in northern VT at the very few locations listed in this thread. You can buy Long Trail in literally any store

39. Long Trail is fine, Switchback is fine.

If you're traveling 1000 miles to come to Vermont, if at all possible make the trip to Hill Farmstead. Wed-Sat, open from 12-5. It'll be worth it.

At the very least, look around at threads here mentioning Waterbury, Vt. You have three restaurants/bars within easy walking distance of each other that will have HF/Lawson's/Heady Topper.

40. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (490) New York Jan 30, 2011 Verified

Do any of the bars in Waterbury go growler fills or is it not legal?
    I'll be driving up next week bringing some amazing beers with me if anyone is interested.