1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How important is box-in-box?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JGates, Feb 1, 2013.

1. JGates

JGates Zealot (90) California May 18, 2011

Just realize I have never packed my shipping boxes in another box. And I don't think I have ever received a box-in-box. Do you do this when you send? Are you offended when you don't receive? Talk to me.

2. islandboi8204

islandboi8204 Savant (380) Hawaii Jul 28, 2011

Unnecessary. Use a bottle shipper.

3. It makes me have alot more peice of mind, il put styro shippers inside another box, and if you have two 6 bottle shipper you can box them then put then in a larger box and ship both at once. I feel like it cuts down on the sloshing quit a bit

4. I've never sent or received a box in box. I do imagine it cuts down on sloshing, and its another layer of packing security for your beer as well. I suppose it just depends how paranoid you are and how far you want to go to protect that beer. Hell I almost never use styro shippers either, and I have never had a package I sent out be damaged in any way. If you are good and careful at packaging, you definitely do not need box in box.

Shoo65 likes this.
  5. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I've received box-in-box, but never sent. I agree that it's completely unnecessary. Save time, give yourself and your trader partner a break, and just use a shipper. Shippers take less time to pack, less time to unpack, are reusable, and never have issues.

If you ship one-way too often to keep using shippers and you don't have access to good double-wide boxes, then box-in-box makes more sense.

6. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I am an ugly packer, I use what I have. Sometimes I use box in box, and have received quite a few. I do whatever packs a box well enough to drop ten feet onto concrete without breakage.

luwak, libbey, ArrogantB and 8 others like this.
  7. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

I have never used box in a box. Have sent out about 50 boxes and everyone of them has arrived safely.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I use box in a box, but if I have a bottle shipper laying around I use it. The box in a box method really doesn't take a lot of extra work to do and it really does provide a good amount of protection.

vurt likes this.
  9. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

But sometimes my bigger box won't fit into my smaller box. It's very frustrating. ;)

youbrewidrink, luwak, gpawned and 7 others like this.
  10. Styro shippers are best, but if I don't have any lying around then I use multiple boxes. Sometimes I'll warn a trader ahead of time that they will have multiple boxes to unpack. Plus, boxes are cheap.

11. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

Whether I use box-in-box is completely contingent on the packing materials I have around (i.e., what I have accumulated from recent trades). If I have a ton of padding on hand, I will skip the box-in-box and just pad the hell out of whatever I am putting the beers in. If I am a bit short on supplies, I will use box-in-box to provide some extra protection. I have had a lot of success using both methods (no breaks yet).

maximum12 and CBlack85 like this.
  12. I've done box in box for each of my 4 trades so far... Including one styro shipper, where it probably wasn't necessary. I guess I thought it was the standard after seeing it in the alewatcher how to. I will continue to do box in box, mainly because Its easy enough to provide that extra protection.
    The hardest part is finding the right size boxes to fit one inside the other.

13. Depends on what I am sending. I currently use strictly thick double walled cardboard. Shits a beast.

14. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Sent a box within a box once but that was heavy and seemed excessive. Received my first box within a box yesterday and a bottle had absolutely shattered (luckily a bag around inner box). Box within a box is only good for absorbing some liquid if the individual bottle packaging isn't so good

15. The only time I've had a bottle break was when I sent it using a box in a box.

16. I have used box in box, styro shippers, and a single box packed tightly; like dbc5 said it is entirely contingent on what packing materials I have on hand. I very rarely have to purchase new packing materials (aside from packing tape).

17. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (425) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Sounds like some people are not following the bible to packing up boxes.....Let me help, look at http://alewatcher.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-trader-tips.html#Abbreviations and thank me later ;)

18. PDXHops

PDXHops Savant (475) South Carolina Nov 19, 2008

I'm always afraid of a styro shipper drawing unwanted attention, so I'm a box-in-box guy. I don't think it's a necessity, though; just pack like you assume your box is gonna get dropped, mashed, etc.

My regular trading partner and I call our box The Fortress. Fed Ex 16" cube exterior box with a 14"cube inside. Between the layers is a perfectly snug half-inch layer of styrofoam sheeting. Inside, I build one final "shell" of free (thanks, USPS) padded shipping envelopes, then each beer gets enclosed in 2 of the same envelopes. So far, it's been indestructible. Yeah, I had to spend a few bucks on the boxes, but the "legit" look makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

vurt likes this.
  19. Seriously? Why would anyone be upset about having extra care put in to the packaging of their beer? I always use box in a box even when using styro shippers because, well, why the hell not.

TheBeerAlmanac and hooliganlife like this.
  20. I honestly admire how much care some BAs put into packing beers safely, as of they're trying to safely ship black market plutonium surreptitiously.

Personally, I almost always use styro shippers, have never double boxed or attempted to mask the sloshing sound, and have had no issues in over 100 trades.

The reality is that we are some of FedEx's best customers, spending ridiculous amounts of money on their services every year. As long as we tape up the boxes properly and nothing breaks in transit, their incentive to bust us or unravel the mystery of we're shipping is minimal to put it mildly.

21. Remember that one time that noob used an 18x18x18 box to ship one HF glass box in a box. Good times.

islandboi8204 likes this.
  22. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

Yes, I double-box, because I _am_ paranoid about my bottles arriving intact, and about minimizing sloshing noises. I do tend to recycle packing material, so I use what I have available to me. But I always aim to make that box as safe as possible. Whoever said it ought to survive a 10-foot drop onto concrete (cavedave?) has it exactly right as far as I'm concerned.

23. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Why would you have to warn the trader ahead of time? If I traded with someone who bitched about their lazy ass having to open two ( oh the horrors!!! ) boxes I'd put them on my do not trade with list.

24. Sure. I recall one very large box that went to one of my regular traders that had 4 smaller boxes inside. They fit nice and snug in the larger box, like a puzzle piece, all perfectly wrapped. My trader appreciated the extra care, I just warned them so that they knew ahead of time that it would take some effort to get all of the beer out.

25. Two boxes is the norm for me, but sometimes I'll pack up 3-4 boxes in one larger box (see above). I've never had anyone bitch, nor have I had a broken bottle.

vurt likes this.
  26. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

Wait, you guys don't triple-box?

27. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I think I will next time.

28. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I fall mostly in the camp of "whatever I have at the moment." My preference is using a styro shipper, but I sent a double box from TX to SC last week with no issues at all. Just layer something between the boxes (I used bubble wrap). It might be "unnecessary", but if it gives you peace of mind, I'm all for it.

29. Allsmoke

Allsmoke Aficionado (175) Virginia Aug 11, 2007

Inception-box. Box within a box within a box. But really, there are no boxes!!!!

30. Yeah, I was kind of kidding...just imagining the person on the other end getting the first box open only to find a second box inside and them saying something like, "What is this?! A second box? Well screw that, I'm not gonna go through all this box opening stuff just to get my beer...i'm just gonna throw this away. Maybe if the guy would have warned me about this..."

31. Nothing wrong with styro shippers, but they are designed for wine bottles so you still need to pad them for bombers, 12 ozs, and cans.

32. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

When I have styro's on hand, and I'm only shipping 6 bottles, I use them. Typically I don't double box, per se, but I always reinforce the box with several layers of cardboard before I pack the contents. I will also use smaller (bottle size) boxes to package individual bottles, glasses, etc. If I over pack a box, full to the point where contents are tight against the exterior walls of the box, then I will use a larger exterior box with padding. I do go overboard sometimes, but you can never be too safe. The real test of a packer's abilities is if there boxes can withstand airport baggage throwers. These guys make FedEx & UPS delivery drivers look like they're curators of a Fabergé egg collection.

franklinn likes this.
  33. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Eh, I'm a fan of the double box. I don't do it every time, but if I pack a box up and have second thoughts about shipping it, I just toss it in another box with some padding and call it a day. Only have had one break so far, and it was because I packed the box like a moron ;)

34. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I used to not support box-in-a-box but now I firmly do when it is possible. I think next I am going to start a box-in-a-box-in-a-box trend. Buy some stock in cardboard companies, yo.

35. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

I've never used box-in-box and simply package enough bubble wrap, peanuts and newspaper to drop the box down a flight of stairs. I have started wrapping the bottles in a good garbage bag though. I noticed when I've received a box-in-box package the "sloshing" sound that may occur is significantly lowered.

36. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I don't ever bother with styro shippers, but a lot of time you don't have one or they're not practical (ie if you're shipping growlers). Then I try to double-box.

37. Mista

Mista Aficionado (205) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

It's more important to bag everything either individually or in all in a garbage bag IMO. If one leaks they will discard the entire box in most cases. I personally bag and double box.

dumptruck81 likes this.
  38. My mom did this shit with Christmas present one year. A single N64 game inside six boxes, the largest a 2-foot cube. And thus began my propensity to overpack.

I do double boxes unless using a styro shipper. No reason not to.

39. dman127

dman127 Aficionado (240) Illinois Jul 11, 2011

Just got my first box in a box. Package contained two 64 oz. growlers. I think for growlers it is a good idea.

cavedave likes this.
  40. This.

I double box all my growlers

crushedvol and cavedave like this.