1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How important is box-in-box?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by JGates, Feb 1, 2013.

1. The box in box method works best when both boxes are made of metal.
  2. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Usually you pay double for that type of action, Cotton.
    axeman9182 and TheBeerAlmanac like this.
  3. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

It's an easy, cheap method if you don't have a styro shipper. Bubble wrap bottles, place bottles back in bomber\750ml case, put case in slightly bigger box. Pack, seal and ship.
  4. It's a good idea on a larger box if you don't have a real shipper. There's an easy way to "make your own shipper" too, and I use this method quite a bit when I don't have a styro on hand:

Put a base of peanuts into a wine box, then put 12 bottles into the wine box. Fill wine box of beer completely with peanuts, then tape up. Now get a bigger box and peanut/bubble the base of the bigger box. Put wine box inside larger box. Fill box with peanuts and/or other loose packing scraps on sides/top. Tape up and ship. It's pretty quick, no need to bubble wrap the individual bottles, and you're just as padded as a styro.

A nice upside of this method is it also works great for non-standard things that don't really fit a styro - like growlers or glassware. (Though I still bubble wrap glassware/growlers)
    dumptruck81 likes this.
  5. It's stylish to use brewery boxes as your inner box. You could probably also put stickers on your inner box in a pinch.
  6. box in a box is much better than dick in a box... in my experience
    lurchingbeast likes this.
  7. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

8. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

I can't believe people had bottles break using box in box. Can't. Their packing skills must be severely lacking. Seriously, one could take a baseball bat to one of my boxes without causing damage. These guys really need eliminate excess space in their packages, and go ahead and use their brains while packing. Ridiculous.
  9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Serious question....is there really such a thing as excessive when the safe arrival of beer is the goal? I ask because I have seen others say this as well and am curious what about it is excessive?
    M1A2 likes this.
  10. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Not once have I used a styrofoam shipper and only rarely have I received them. Box-in-box is also totally unnecessary as well.

I usually triple wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, use an oversized, sturdy cardboard shipping box, and pack it tight with crumpled up paper and packing peanuts. I've completed plenty of trades and not once have any of my bottles broken.
  11. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

There's absolutely no sloshing if the bottles are upright and tightly packed
  12. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (425) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Excessive?!....... its simple, pack a box that will survive a beating and that will not allow bottles to break. Simple really.....
  13. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Yeah, but its all perspective. I've sent boxes where the bottles are only single wrapped, so triple wrapping might seem excessive.

I'm of the mindset that its less about what "might" actually work and more about peace of mind. When I send a ox out, I do so only when I feel 100% certain that someone could kick the hell out of it and not hurt a thing inside. Reaching that point of mental comfort is simply different for different people
  14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I guess my point is wouldn't you rather someone sending you beer error on the side of excessive than skimp and risk it? I have sent well over 200 boxes and ask anyone I have packed in many differen ways over the years but the one constant is excess as I prefer increasing my chances of success. To each their own, I was just curious what exactly was excessive about alewatchers tips.
    dumptruck81 and luwak like this.
  15. In probably 55-60 trades I've never sent or received double boxed beer. Personally, I just try to use plenty of bubble wrap and packing material (usually balled up newspaper), and if possible put the bottles in a garbage bag. If I was ever trading something super rare/irreplaceable, I could see myself going to a double box method.
  16. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

pmoney said:
    Wait, you guys don't triple-box?​
    I actually, literally, did this earlier this week.

Used an ugly-ass ghetto-rigged 12 pack Styroshipper turned into a six pack styro shipper by way of barbaric use of cutlery scissors in the first box. This was a an older, thin box so i had planned to put it in a bigger one.
    But when i filled the bigger one it seemed weak and when i taped it it was all bulging out due to filler.

So i stuck it in a third much bigger box.

Contents only about $125, but the boxes were free thanks to my insane patronage of local beer store.
    And it added only a few bucks in shipping i think.

We'll see if it makes it intact.
  17. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (355) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I'm a big believer in the box in box. I buy to 2 cheaper boxes for almost the same price as one thick/deluxe box. Inside the outer box I use a double layer of bubble wrab on the bottom, then reuse styro peanuts or free newspaper to insulate inside box from outer box. Almost the same cost but I get much more protection IMO.

I also bag the bottles. Trash bag or individually bag.

Overkill? Maybe... Kill all the bottles I'm sending because one breaks and they trash the whole box? Not very likely.

I figure I can spend $2 more in packaging per shipment and avoid losing a big box with $100+ in it. I can pay for the $2 insurance per box with those odds.
  18. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Free wine/liquor boxes from beer store + $0.98 box from Wal Mart = all the insurance you need.