1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How is your tasting group organized?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Hanzo, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I asked this in another thread, but I didn't want to derail any further so I figure I'd ask in a new thread.

Just doing some research on ways to possibly streamline our tasting group which is getting progressively bigger each meeting. If you are in a regularly meeting tasting group tell me about how it is ran\organized...

Some example questions.

1) How often does your group meet?
    2) How many people usually show up?
    3) How much beer do people normally bring?
    4) If you have a large group, how do you decide who gets pours of what beers? (Assuming you don't want to split a 22oz bomber 35 ways for example)
    5) How long do your tastings normally last?
    6) Are there any bottle quality requirement? Or can anything be brought from shelf beers to white whales?
    7) How do you decide on order of bottle opening?
    Coirm likes this.
  2. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

1) Every few weeks
    2) 6-12
    3) 2-4 large format bottles
    4) NA
    5) 3-5 hours
    6) Nope. Just share beers (A few guys in our group (cough: Urbancaver and seeswo :cough) like to bring out some big guns regularly which we greatly appreciate)
    7) Most of the ones I've been to lately have been themed or blind. It's usually "I'll open one".

Side note: Our group is AWESOME and I've been able to try some really great beers that I never would have been able to try without them. We just had a blind tasting a couple of weeks ago and some guys broke out some really great stuff, thanks fellas!
  3. 1) Daily
    2) 1
    3) none
    4) Whatever my wife wants
    5) 7pm until bed
    6) Yes
    7) See #4
  4. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Aficionado (245) Texas Sep 22, 2006

I don't know about other states but several cities in Texas have monthly beer tastings- Austin and Houston are the longest running ones while Dallas and San Antonio are up and coming. Our beer tastings are public and anyone is welcome to come as long as they bring beer that can't be purchased at the location of the tasting (usually an bar), in Austin it's Draughthouse and Houston is Gingerman I believe. Going to just list it off below so it's easy to read and make sense

1) How often does your group meet? Once a month- Austin's group always meets the first Sunday of the month.
    2) How many people usually show up? Anywhere from 10 to 25, depending on the month.
    3) How much beer do people normally bring? Most folks try to bring between 2 to 3 bottles, some will bring more or some will just bring one awesome bottle.
    4) If you have a large group, how do you decide who gets pours of what beers? (Assuming you don't want to split a 22oz bomber 35 ways for example). In Austin we have a professional pourer (Mike for the win) who takes care of the pouring- he will usually try to give the person who brought the bottle the biggest pour then divide it evenly to the rest of the folks, sometimes it doesn't work out and we run out of beer but that's life. Sometimes if it's a rare bottle then the friends of the person who brought it will get nice pours before the remaining beer is divided up among the rest.
    5) How long do your tastings normally last? Anywhere from 3 hours to 6 hours or longer.
    6) Are there any bottle quality requirement? Or can anything be brought from shelf beers to white whales? Yes- we don't want to see beer that you can buy at the bar or something you picked up on the way (unless it's a limited release). Other than that, you will see a nice vary of good shelf beer to some big whales. Many of us bring stuff we either traded for or got on beer vacations.

7) How do you decide on order of bottle opening? Our professional pourer does that with some input from the group.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  5. Hanzo

ISO: Professional Pourer
  6. How does one get certified as a professional pourer? Cicerone?
  7. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

We meet up about once a month, more or less. We have 5 people in the group, and aren't really interested in having more, as 5 ways seems like a good cap for splitting bottles. I much prefer a small tasting group to a huge group of people - it's less hectic, and you get to try everything. We each usually bring around 3 or 4 bottles, which we open over 5-7 hours usually. We never get through all of them.

We don't have any bottle requirements. We generally do limited releases, but this can be anything from shelf beers to brewery only stuff. It all balances out eventually, and none of us really have this on our minds. We decide on opening bottles one at a time, usually trying to diversify styles.
    BeerThursdays and jedwards like this.
  8. I am not sure you can call it a tasting group, but I have a few buddies who join me for beer tasting. We never open more than one beer (though sometimes multiple bottles of that beer), as I have a phobia of tasting with a tired palate and beer is so expensive* multiple beers would be unaffordable.
    The workload at university dictates how often we get together and it varies from 4 times a week to twice a month. My friends are too lazy to source their own beer, so they always sponge off of me. For cheaper beers (15 - 30 USD a bottle) I usually let my friends drink for free, but for the pricey brews I ask them to contribute some money.

*For those of you who don't know, you cannot buy decent beer in South Africa so all the beer we taste needs to be shipped from Europe or the USA, hence the ridiculous price.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  9. We are fairly unorganized. I'll be lucky if I remember to attach everyone to the email.
  10. ColdPoncho

ColdPoncho Savant (455) Ohio Jan 9, 2009

I started reading this reply and thought it sounded a lot like my group...then I realized it was.
  11. I'm actually part of two tasting groups in the area. One with just a few of us locally and one with a few more people in the greater Philly area. Here is a rundown of both:

Local Group:
    1. Meet weekly for the most part. At least 3 times/month.
    2. Between 4-6 people
    3. Each usually bring a 2 or 3 12oz. or a bomber and 12oz.
    4. N/A
    5. 2-3 hours
    6. No real requriements we just try to bring something new every time.
    7. Depends on the mode. We are all very laid back and sometimes use a random number generator to decide. Usually try to keep the coffee stouts towards the end.

Greater Philly Group:
    1. Meet about every 3 months or so
    2. 10-12 people
    3. Each usually bring 3 or 4 large bottles. Some people bring more.
    4. Everyone gets around 2oz which works out perfectly.
    5. 6-8 hours
    6. We tend to bring the harder to find/more expensive stuff. A lot of Belgians seem to make their way here.
    7. Usually we all just send what we're going to bring and someone makes the list. The super rare ones tend to be at the beginning.
    ShanePB likes this.
  12. 1. We meet every couple of months
    2. 6-9 people
    3. 2-8 bottles depends on what people have accumulated;). We seldom get to all of them.
    4. 2-4 ozs.
    5. Minimum seven hours sometimes a lot longer!
    6. People bring their best! Many trades involved.
    7. The more anticipated bottles are usually opened first taking into account alc. %, style and such.

We're going on five years now as a group!
  13. landhoney

landhoney Savant (290) Florida Apr 19, 2007

1) How often does your group meet? Every Monday
    2) How many people usually show up? 6 (not more than 8)
    3) How much beer do people normally bring? ~2-3 bottles each
    4) If you have a large group, how do you decide who gets pours of what beers? (Assuming you don't want to split a 22oz bomber 35 ways for example) N/A
    5) How long do your tastings normally last? ~4 hours
    6) Are there any bottle quality requirement? No, no 'mooches', we all bring quality
    7) How do you decide on order of bottle opening? Usually by ABV, or lighter flavored beers first
  14. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I don't want to derail this thread too much, but I feel like it applies to the conversation. I've never really done any tasting groups, so if you are cold cellaring bottles in a freezer/refrigerator, what is the best way to transport your bottles to the tasting? Cooler and ice or some sort of cold bag?
  15. Hanzo

I just use a soft sided cooler with some ice packs thrown in. Then I just load up the fridge of wherever is hosting when I arrive.
  16. My local tasting group is run from top to bottom by the organiser who is one kind and considerate fella. Evey month or two, bring your own bottle though the organiser usually has a ton of beers he wants to share anyways, and numbers range from 6-9 or ten in my experience. The only requirement is that everyone either brings something untried before or a beer which is very rare and/or highly sought after. Usually the tasting will last somewhere in the 3-4 hours range.
  17. A few times a week some friends will come to my house and drink my beer. Think of them when you send me boxes. They dont bring much and I dont want them to be thirsty.
    sliverX, SatlyMalty and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  18. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Aficionado (245) Texas Sep 22, 2006

It's really more of a joke- the guy who has been running the Austin public tasting has been said to have the "perfect" pouring technique so we call him our professional pourer.

I also wanted to add that most of the public tastings in Texas are usually held at beer bars or pubs that are cool with having us there and that IMO makes a huge difference. People are more willing to go to a public venue than say, someone's house that they haven't met before (or people being willing strangers over at their house) plus having it somewhere public makes it easier to keep it going without an actual host.
    Treyliff likes this.
  19. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

We have a winner here!!!
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  20. Durb777

Durb777 Savant (405) Illinois Nov 30, 2011

I'm in two.

The first one meets every few weeks, there is about 6 or 7 of us and its more of a whale fest.

The other. We meet on the first Friday of every month. There is 4 of us it cost $5 cause we do an outing on our anniversary. And the premise is you have to bring 2 bombers or 2 12oz beers you have never brought before.
  21. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

As Seinfeld says, "not that there is anything wrong with that", but tasting groups kind of give me a funny feeling :)!
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  22. acelin

acelin Savant (300) Kansas Feb 14, 2009

It's just me, because I'm too old for the college crowd, and too young for the "I have kids" crown. Whoops.
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  23. The history of our tasting group is a sordid one, and I've never attempted to put it down in writing. Perhaps some of these details shouldn't be made public, but it strikes me as something that might be a handy reference for how other groups can escape some of our early pitfalls, plus it's something that might as well be recorded.

If our group were to have a name it would probably the Peninsula Bay Area tasting group. It all started in late 2008 when Rzzz and a couple of other BAs who have gone inactive or left the area started an "official BA meetup" at the Rose and Crown pub in Palo Alto. This met monthly and anyone was allowed to attend. I didn't make the first couple of meetings, but the general ground rules were that you were allowed to bring one or two bottles, and to thank the R&C for hosting, you were expected to order a couple of beers from them as well as some food. Those first meetings were a lot of fun, especially to someone like me who was newly out of the BevMo world. I tried beers like Beatification B. 2, Duck Duck Gooze, Blaubaer, back when they were still relatively new, before hype really even existed. It was also a completely revolving cast of characters, from the eccentric older lady who googled "beer" and "peninsula" and decided to attend with a couple of Session lagers, to the random guys who sat down from the bar who'd probably never had anything beyond BMC. To presage what would unfortunately be a (probably not completely unexpected) trend, those early meetings quickly got out of hand. By May of 2009 the owner of the Rose had to ask us to disband the tastings. We had grown into a rag tag group of almost 25 people, and people weren't buying beer from the bar anymore because there were too many outside bottles to drink--I distinctly remember a beer buyer from Whole Foods bringing in an entire case of beer, much of which could be bought at the bar.

By this time, a smaller, more-hardcore group had split off from the main pack. This would form the core of our tasting group for the next two years. We were a bunch of guys who lived within about five miles from each other: Largadeer, Alfrantzell, NickD717, Arbitrator, Sandstone, Bring, and myself formed that original core. The impetus for this new group was probably when Alfrantzell and Largadeer moved in together. Their housewarming party was probably one of the first Whale tastings I'd ever heard of. They were welcoming enough to let me join some of their tastings shortly thereafter.

We had a few other guys who rotated in and out, but our group stayed pretty consistent for a while. With the exception of Bring, who moved to the East Coast in late 2009, we were all mid- to late-20s folks who didn't have families or mortgages. We were basically free to chase all the new releases, complete the top 100, and have very frequent tastings. By 2010 we were all trading compulsively--most of us doing 2-3+ trades a week. We didn't need a scheduled tasting because we basically were looking for any opportunity to get together and drink all the new beers that we had landed. There were probably signs of the competing personalities and possible burnout relatively early on, but most of us were too busy drinking the whales to notice.

By late 2010 things were starting to get strained. Arbitrator had stopped coming to many tastings--he attributed it to finishing his dissertation (a totally valid excuse), but at heart there were personality issues starting to come to the fore. A boatload of drunken teasing was starting to fester. Anyone who knows these guys knows that there are a lot of strong personalities in the group. Some not-so-kind blogs regarding certain members' habits and sayings were written--blogs that remained hidden for a remarkably long time. When the subject of said blogs finally found out about them, it led to a pretty big fight. This was also the hay-day of the fake accounts. People spent loads of time making fake accounts to make fun of other members of the tasting group. Unfortunately, the things said by these accounts, usually in mimicry or parody, sometimes hit a little close to home. This is also where my original BA account was permanently disbanded (RIP).

Eventually, by mid- 2011, Arbitrator started hosting his own tastings separate from everyone else, and Alfrantzell, who might have been having some roommate issues at the time, stopped attending those instead of the rest of the group. For a while Nick and I tried to attend both groups' tastings. This was not healthy. I remember a couple of times were there were 4+ tastings in the same week.

About the same time, Chris and I started doing smaller tastings at another local pub, Gourmet Haus Staudt. This was ideal because it was right next to the Caltrain, and they have an awesome selection of fast-rotating German lagers on tap, which make the perfect breaks between our usual fair of barrel aged imperial stouts and double IPAs. Holding these at a central space was great, and even though they were small affairs, usually no more than 3-6 people, we would attract others who were interested in learning about the beers that we were pouring. A couple of those people went on to make BA accounts and are great Beer Advocates to this day and are still part of our tasting group. But once again, issues arose with having our tastings at a bar. This time, the issues weren't with us, but with other groups who would come in and try to emulate us. The owner of GHS eventually had to ask us to stop opening up outside bottles, because he was getting a lot of people who would come in with random growlers from local breweries, or bottles of Pliny and say, "well, I saw those guys opening them, why can't I?" This might have still been OK, good beer advocacy and all, except that by this time GHS was filled to the brim with people trying to order beers from the bar. It didn't make sense for people to take up space drinking outside beers when they couldn't fit people inside who were trying to order the beers that were on tap. So we once again have had to take our tastings underground, and host them at people's houses/apartments.

Currently, we don't have a set schedule, but we meet up just about every week. Occasionally we get together on the side to open up a growler or something that needs to be consumed fresh. This is organized through an ongoing Conversation on BA which has about 15 pages at this point--we're pretty much always conversing and figuring out logistics. Outside of our core group of about 6 of us (all of who live on the peninsula except for one person who lives in the city) we are constantly inviting others to join us, but usually on an ad hoc basis. We sadly don't have the space/liver capacity to have more than 8 or 9 people at a tasting, so we're not really adding new members to our core group. NickD717 got married, moved to the city, and just recently moved to New York, but I'm happy to report that Arbitrator and Largadeer reconciled, and Arbitrator regularly attends our tastings and helps us keep the rDev low. Alfrantzell doesn't really drink beer much these days; he prefers to draw it. Neither Chris, Arbitrator, or I really trade too much these days, except with our normal trading partners, but we've got tons of beers in our cellars, so we usually provide those. Meanwhile the new(er) guys, dsgolovin, cheapbeerbuzz, and pokgye are all trading animals. We still usually end up bringing about 3-5 bottles a person, and I'd say that the quality of our tastings has never been higher (still looking for a bottle of Dave though...). The length of the tastings are variable. On a week night, we might only go until 11:30 or midnight. Weekend tastings have been known to get out of hand and go until the last person falls asleep (the Cigar City-themed tasting, with pretty much all of the barrel aged beers they've done, was especially brutal). We sometimes do themes, such as two dozen Hill Farmstead beers, or all of the peach/apricot sours we could get are hands on, but not always. Often it's just a mishmatch of a couple growlers of Alpine IPAs, whatever the imp. stout du jour is, some random Florida fruit-Berliner, and some Cantillons thrown in for good measure. We don't really do a great job of ordering the beers, except that the rarest beers usually don't get opened first and they don't get opened last.

Hopefully you can glean some useful information from how we've learned to run things over the years. It's not perfect. Most of us would love to move our tastings back to a centrally located bar, but things haven't worked out that way. We also could be better about moderation--still working on that one. Still, I've made some of my best friendships in my tasting group, and these days I would never even consider drinking great beer alone. I'm thankful to have a great group of guys to share them with.
    sphyrn, Rutager, leschkie and 19 others like this.

24. 1) Whenever we feel like drinking beers. We will typically keep a theme and drink beers of that theme once every few months. Non themed tastings will take place randomly throughout the year whenever we all happen to hang out and drink beers together.
    2) I keep things typically between 3 or 4 people.
    3) Typically 1 bottle each. The goal is to enjoy a beer and be able to fully appreciate it without turning into a mess at the end of the session. Low amount of people + low amount of bottles = good tasting in my opinion.
    4) I don't like having large groups or huge bottle shares. It sucks to try only an oz of a bunch of different beers as opposed to being able to really enjoy 3 or 4. It's great for those who like to tick, but I like to enjoy what I'm drinking. It's hard for me to appreciate something when only having a couple sips and then moving on to the next thing.
    5) Typically a few hours.
    6) Anything that tastes good.
    7) Look at whatever seems to be palate destroying, and do that last.
  25. My group is basically 4-5 regulars who're at most tastings and 5-10 other BAs who are regularly there.

This is part of what we're up to tomorrow (my portion plus part of another BA's portion) at a secret undisclosed location. Should be fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    sphyrn, liamt07, jbuddle and 9 others like this.
  26. 1) about every 2 months
    2) 10-20
    3) usually 2-3 large format bottles
    4) usually <20 people so not a problem
    5) 4-5 hours
    6) Anything is cool, but some people crush it every time
    7) Every 10-15 minutes someone just grabs a bottle that they brought
  27. Paging Arbitrator to thread for part 2 of Tales from the Peninsula
  28. I see one beer in there that has held up significantly worse than the others :/
  29. 3 people, meet once a week (try at least). Each bring a 22 or 2 small bottles. Works out pretty well. Usually last 2-2.5 hours.
  30. Been to one BA tasting so far it was amazing.
    Ready for #2 not gonna lie.
    I would say an average amount that people brought were from 2-4 bombers of non-locals rarer the better
    Kind of random as to how the bottles were opened.
    Tried some truly amazing beers that day --- Thats all I know
  31. Great thread!

Since I live in the DC area which is spread out all over the place (VA/MD/DC) and most of my peeps communicate primarily through BA, Facebook, and/or meet over at a neutrally located bar (Churchkey), the "group" doesn't have consistent members at all. Sure, we have our usual list of peeps that we try to get to come, but many have kids, family obligations, etc. and can't always make it. Often times, I'll ask for a favor from a group of people (I'm a musician, so it usually involves playing a gig for free) and will reward them with quality beer. No complaints from them so far...

To the point:
    1) Sometimes our "group" meets once a week, sometimes two months may go by without activity.
    2) At least 5 - 12.
    3) Sometimes we have a theme (ex. Belgian IPA), but most of the time, we just ask the next person in the RSVP chain to list either the beer or style they are bringing.
    4) Never an issue, we just pour and let the chips fall where they may.
    5) Usually, an overnight sleepover is recognized beforehand, therefore, the tastings usually go to about 2-4 AM.
    6) Anything goes. We especially welcome local/locally distributed beers we've never tried. Especially at least one or two locals in growler form.
    7) Whoever raised their hand or bottle first!

Side note: Since I'm a pool owner, it always seems that I get the "summer beer" shift. Curious huh? :)
  32. 1. One or two times a month.
    2. Usually 5 to 10 of us.
    3. At least the equivalent of 3 to 4 bomber sized bottles.
    4. We just spit them up as equally as we can. Sometimes people will pass on pours if they have already had the beer, don't like the style, etc.
    5. Usually at least 2 to 4 hours.
    6. We just bring whatever we feel like sharing. My group is very generous and will bring great stuff all the time.
    7. We just open randomly. Sometimes we try to hit the good stuff early so we can enjoy it without palate fatigue.
  33. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I drink alone...o_O Otherwise it spirals into madness & before long I'm uttering the immortal words "My advice to you...shut up."
    RobertColianni likes this.
  34. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

1) we used to meet more regularly... but I live furthest away so I miss out on the smaller tastings. Now I tend to make it to a tasting about every 6 weeks-- though I get invited to hang out more than once per month.
    2) at the small tastings, maybe 4-10 people. At the larger ones, 60-80.
    3) I tend to bring 4-6 bombers/750s... It depends on the length of the tasting.
    4) It works itself out. Everyone tends to be conscientious of letting others try a beer.
    5) between 4 and 14 hours
    6) nope. We have never made any "rarity requirements" but everyone still tends to bring out amazing beer.
    7) for small tastings, it doesn't matter. We open whatever we want to try-- usually whales get opened early so our palates are fresh.

35. 1) Our group is still a little new (around 6 months), but we've met consistently "weekly" (probably averaging 3 times a month). We just use a BA conversation and see if more than 3 of us can get together that week.
    2) 6 or so. Seems like 7 people is the limit to get a decent pour from a bomber.
    3) Usually around 2 bombers. Sometimes a few 12oz thrown or substituted in.
    4) No problems here, getting a good pour is central to the core of a tasting.
    5) Weeknights usually from 6 - 10 or 11, some longer tastings on weekends. (Gang Bang upcoming).
    6) No real requirement, but we try to get stuff that most people haven't tried. Shelf whales, other place locals, hot new brewery, etc. Themes happen about half the time, but they're usually pretty lax and evolve more from what the first few people say they are going to bring than anything. Better bottles tend to be saved for stricter themed tastings, which happen occasionally (and often on the weekend).
    7) People often come from work, so colder bottles get a priority. We try not to open better bottles too late though. Growlers often get opened first (because we're secretly paranoid about them).
  36. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

Sometimes one Dave just isn't enough!
    GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  37. ISO: Group in/around Philadelphia that either hates Philly sports or doesn't mind me ripping on lackluster sports teams; particularly those from in/around Philadelphia. Beermail me, please.
  38. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Ha! I missed this thread until someone linked me to it just now.

westcoastbeerlvr covered it fairly and accurately... I have an impish sense of humor that has, at times, been directed at every single member of my tasting group. Couple that with being a grad student at the time (read: copious amounts of free time, and a lot of downtime at odd hours in a cleanroom), and I created a lot of troublesome ways to amuse myself. I've also made a lot of trouble for myself by being outspoken on a number of different topics. This led to some bad blood, both within and without my tasting group. In the past 2 years, I have gone straight and improved my behavior considerably -- in part because I have a lot of extraneous considerations (mom with cancer, impending marriage, demanding job) that have taught me there are more important things in life than fostering BA drama.

Our tasting group did splinter for a bit due to personality conflicts (since reconciled); now it has splintered due to geographical/time conflicts. I don't drink as much beer as I used to, for various reasons, but I try to make it to a gathering every once in a while. Mostly because it's a very diverse, fun group of people. I work with a lot of eccentric engineers, and I think it's important to remember that there are people out there who actually have fun in life. You have your scientific types (Nanoslug, alfrantzell, nickd717), your crazy drunks that want to go to Toronado at 1 in the morning (westcoastbeerlvr, largadeer, beddachedda), your I-don't-know-what-they-do-but-they're-filthy-rich guys (pokgye, CheapBeerBuzz), the guy whose sausages you dream of (dsgolovin), the guy who I'm pretty sure will kill me (Sandstone), and the guy who will rape my corpse (largadeer again). Also, for some reason, I always forget to include Bubba83; he's basically the Ann ("Her?") of our tasting group. Sorry dude.

As westcoastbeerlvr said, there are a lot of great people in our tasting group, some of whom are among my closest friends. I'm pretty honored that there are people who have put up with me (particularly when I'm a drunk asshole) for almost 4 years.
  39. 1) Monthly. We started doing them on Thursday night (hence the name). But as life got in the way, dates had to be changed. Usually happens on a Friday at this point, but Saturday's are never out of the question.
    2) 6-10
    3) 22-24oz
    4) Not really an issue. I like a smaller group, and I think 10 is about max on any given night.
    5) 4 to 6 Hours
    6) No requirements. We usually have a theme of some sorts. Sours, BA Stouts, IPA, North East, Pumpkin. This week is Black and Tans. Everyone should get to try the mix and the individual parts..
    7) As they come through the door. Say we have 10 people. I'll expect to open between 15 and 20 different beers. I'll have put aside 5-6 from the cellar. Then as beer comes in, if it's cold, it'll get opened. If not, I'll throw it in the fridge until it's ready. Usually save one more desirable light abv beer for the end of the night, and start off with a beer that would require a more refined palate at the beginning.