1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

How long are you willing to wait for your beer to be ready ?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Ilanko, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (245) New York Aug 3, 2012

I like to have delicious beer as fast as I can, that's way I avoid lagering. I always prefer to have fair results and buy the stuff I don't have the time for it.

2. yinzer

yinzer Savant (395) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

If you don't drink it in the first ten minutes, then you are waiting for it. Don't be in denial.

3. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I prefer to have good results, and I don't care how long it takes. But if you want fast, brew session beers.

GreenKrusty101, barfdiggs and koopa like this.
  4. As long as it takes. It's natural to be impatient the first few batches until you get a few beers in the pipeline. In the seven years I've been doing this, I've never run out of homebrew - indeed, I can't remember the last time I had fewer than three selections available. If I can buy excellent, why would I waste my time brewing merely fair?

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  5. barls

barls Aficionado (185) Australia Nov 15, 2006

18 months so far for a sour

6. As long as it takes the style to be ready. We as brewers brew the beer, but once fermentation starts, the yeast is in control of the brew, all we can do is provide the optimal environment for it! Love sours, lagers, and high abv beers, and love them even more when I took part in brewing them. Cheers!

7. The longest so far is 4 weeks in primary , 4 months in secondary with oak chips and 4 months in the bottle , and well worth the wait

8. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (550) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Till it's ready. For me this has varied from 6 days to 2 years.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  9. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (860) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'll wait for whatever. Normally if I'm thristy I have something on tap anyways. If it's a beer I poured over the recipe coming together, took my time to make it, and took the care to age it to the best of my ability, I'll give it as long as the beer says it wants to come together.

10. BigCat

BigCat Initiate (15) Jan 13, 2013

As long as you have a nice Pipeline going you should always have good above average beer... It all depends is you are a planner like me or a slacker and wait for the last second to decide... If you are the latter then just make friends with a planner and you will never have to buy a so call good beer when your friend can make your favorite

11. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I'm pretty new to home brewing (I'm getting ready to do my 2nd & 3rd batches next weekend .). But the one thing that I definitely learned from my 1st brew was that the longer I waited, the better the beer was. I made a point to test a bottle every month or so to give me a reference point of how the beer was progressing . The difference from one month to 6 months was more than worth the wait. If I want a quick brew, I can always buy a beer. If I'm going to put the effort into making one myself, I want to take the time to do it right. That's kind of the fun of home brewing, at least to me.

12. i wait as long as it takes, but i try to keep a steady rotation going so there's always something to drink.

13. BILF

BILF Advocate (725) Israel Jan 9, 2010

I start drinking it from the primary.

14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I just make a barley and hop mash for breakfast...

I'm impatient as hell. I brewed an apa in december, had it bottled the weekend before christmas, and drank the last bottle last night. Each bottle was progressively better flavored than the previous one. This leads me to believe I started drinking this beer way too early. But how the hell do you know if you don't drink them? I wouldn't think that an apa would be reaching it's peak a month after bottling, but here we are. And now that I'm actually typing this and thinking about dates and what not this should be exactly what to expect... shit.

15. koopa

koopa Champion (825) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

My first barleywine I've brewed has been conditioning for nearly 8 months now and I plan on letting it go for at least another 2 - 4 months.

16. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

I'm at 10 months on a sour. Going to check it at 1 year and see where it's at.

17. Now is the time to start thinking about next winter's old ale or barley wine.

18. 1. Not too long for some styles.
    2. Some styles need a lot of time. Do a historic IPA, those do take 6 to 12 months to become a thing of pride.
    3. A barleywine we did on Jan 2, won a NHC gold that year. How long do you guys think Bigfoot is from the time of brewing to sale?
    4. Lambic types can take 3-5 years before they really become good.

19. yinzer

yinzer Savant (395) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Not long enough.

mnstorm99 likes this.
  20. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Was yours American or English?

21. American.

22. I don't wait. I put DME and hop pellets in my mouth and wash it down with water and a hit of white labs.

23. So how is the gas after that?

24. Smells like Narragansett's new DIPA.

mnstorm99 likes this.