How long are your lines?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by ne0m00re, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ne0m00re

ne0m00re Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2008 Ohio

I have a two-tap keezer and I've primarily been using just one tap (mostly so I have some empty space in there to prime fresh homebrew, when I get around to it...). When I bought a new keg recently I simply switched to the other tap--hooking up a new product line and coupler. This new product line is shorter (exactly 5' instead of closer to 6', 3/16" diameter), and my restriction seems too low as the beer flows very quickly out of the tap. From what I've read and experienced, it now appears as though Micromatic's five-foot-fits-all rule is more of a guideline and a longer line should work better in my case.

So before I start chopping new tubing, I'm curious: how long are your product lines?

2. fineout

fineout Crusader (499) Apr 23, 2010 Rhode Island

i think mine are around 7'

3. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Both my lines are 10'. I intended to cut them back in 6" intervals but wit has been 3 years now. I'm fine with the pours and flow rate. Make sure you are using beer grade tubing and not bulk stuff from Home Depot.

4. ne0m00re

How long does it take you to pour a pint?

5. ne0m00re

Did you just start out with 7', or did you start with something longer and trim to your liking?

6. fineout

fineout Crusader (499) Apr 23, 2010 Rhode Island

i started with 5 bought 7 and it worked so never bothered messing with success. I think right around 6' is "usually" the sweet spot, but I dont mind having it a little longer.

7. DougC123

Never timed it, but it isn't like I'm standing there waiting. I'm pretty impatient so if it were all that slow I would have cut them like I intended to do. The cost difference to go longer and cut back is next to nothing.

inchrisin likes this.
  8. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Mine are 9 feet.... should have left them at 10 feet. I will change that sometime soon but it isnt at the top of my list right now.

9. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

ours are 57.5'. 10 of them at least. we're set to install the next 40 soon. but yeah, 57.5' 60.9' if you count the choker.

but since you are asking about the home setup, couldn't really tell you for certain. maybe 6 feet.

inchrisin and ne0m00re like this.
  10. ne0m00re

Thanks for all the replies. I was originally just going to plan for 7' or so, but after hearing this I think I'll plan for 10' and trim it as necessary.

11. DougC123

And where can the masses come to see and drink from these?

12. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

that is unsolicited advertising, against the BA rules Doug.:wink:

we should have the final 40 in by Spring Break, then sure, i'll post some pics and describe how much effort, planning and cash it takes to install 50 lines with glycol - while the bar is still open and without interrupting service.

working in a 38 degree cooler from 8 til 1:30 am takes it out of you.

13. DougC123

I bet it beats you up good, but if it is any consolation it is warmer in your walk in than it is outside in half the country. Can you narrow down the county in NY so I can figure out if it is within striking distance? I'm in Fairfield County near Putnam County.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.