1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How long do you tend to cellar your favorite stout?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by imduffman, Dec 27, 2012.

1. imduffman

imduffman Member

I've been aging beer for about 3 years now and tend to open things after 6 months to a year. It's amazing how much thing can change in a matter of months. Stone ris was the first that i pulled out a bottle every 3 months for a year. I found i enjoyed the 3 month mark more than the others. what were your thoughts and favorites?
  2. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x Member

I am really fond of BCBS with 10-12 months on it. With that said, I absolutely love it fresh too!
  3. 71gto

71gto Member

I opened a bottle of '07 BCBS last winter and have to say it was aged too much. I also had a bottle of speedway stout that was aged about 3 years and like it fresh better. KBS seems to taste fantastic regardless.

Not a stout, but Gnarleywine with a few years on it is amazing.
  4. TomFoolery_x

TomFoolery_x Member

Wasn't the '07 a twist off? I've heard lots of problems with that year. Not that it changes your opinion but I had an '06 a few months back and it was delicious.
  5. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

I have had multiple bombers of 2009 BCBS that have held up extremely well over time and still taste great. Unfortunately, 2010 Abyss (which I thought was amazing when it came out) seems to be going downhill with every bottle that I have opened since its release.
    jglowe77 likes this.
  6. hellomisterp

hellomisterp Member

90% of them I don't let go past 2 years.
    tronto likes this.
  7. EricCioe

EricCioe Member

A year or more with Expedition. Haven't had one old enough to be bad yet.
  8. imduffman

imduffman Member

creme brulee is spot on at 6-8 months. i always cellar one for new years
  9. 71gto

71gto Member

Did not even think to check that. Used a bottle opener before I tried.
  10. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Member

BCBS - somewhere around 3-4 years. 2008 is drinking better than Rare right now, but I don't think it's getting any better. Then again 2011 was incredible fresh, so it may depend on this one.

KBS - somewhere between 6 and 18 months, once this beer hits 2 years it oxidizes and falls apart. After 6 months or so the coffee fades and incredible vanilla and dark chocolate notes push through the bourbon.
  11. coffygrinder

coffygrinder Member

I usually have one to many and just open them with friends that want to try them.
  12. ypsifly

ypsifly Member

Expedition Stout gets really good at the three year mark. I haven't been able to keep it longer than that but I want to say the '97 vintage took the gold for Aged Beer at the 2011 GABF.
  13. KazzakusPrime

KazzakusPrime Member

I've been cellaring ST's Creme Brulee since October 2012. I find it phenomenal fresh - how'd you like it after 6-8 months?
  14. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Member

Everything pre 09 BCS was twist offs I believe. I had some 08 about a year ago and it was excellent. Definitely cannot imagine it getting much better than it was then.