How long do you tend to cellar your favorite stout?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by imduffman, Dec 27, 2012.

1. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

I've been aging beer for about 3 years now and tend to open things after 6 months to a year. It's amazing how much thing can change in a matter of months. Stone ris was the first that i pulled out a bottle every 3 months for a year. I found i enjoyed the 3 month mark more than the others. what were your thoughts and favorites?

2. I am really fond of BCBS with 10-12 months on it. With that said, I absolutely love it fresh too!

3. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I opened a bottle of '07 BCBS last winter and have to say it was aged too much. I also had a bottle of speedway stout that was aged about 3 years and like it fresh better. KBS seems to taste fantastic regardless.

Not a stout, but Gnarleywine with a few years on it is amazing.

4. Wasn't the '07 a twist off? I've heard lots of problems with that year. Not that it changes your opinion but I had an '06 a few months back and it was delicious.

5. I have had multiple bombers of 2009 BCBS that have held up extremely well over time and still taste great. Unfortunately, 2010 Abyss (which I thought was amazing when it came out) seems to be going downhill with every bottle that I have opened since its release.

jglowe77 likes this.
  6. 90% of them I don't let go past 2 years.

tronto likes this.
  7. EricCioe

EricCioe Savant (460) Montana Aug 7, 2010

A year or more with Expedition. Haven't had one old enough to be bad yet.

8. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

creme brulee is spot on at 6-8 months. i always cellar one for new years

9. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

Did not even think to check that. Used a bottle opener before I tried.

10. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

BCBS - somewhere around 3-4 years. 2008 is drinking better than Rare right now, but I don't think it's getting any better. Then again 2011 was incredible fresh, so it may depend on this one.

KBS - somewhere between 6 and 18 months, once this beer hits 2 years it oxidizes and falls apart. After 6 months or so the coffee fades and incredible vanilla and dark chocolate notes push through the bourbon.

11. coffygrinder

coffygrinder Savant (265) Illinois Nov 18, 2010

I usually have one to many and just open them with friends that want to try them.

12. ypsifly

ypsifly Savant (400) Michigan Sep 22, 2004

Expedition Stout gets really good at the three year mark. I haven't been able to keep it longer than that but I want to say the '97 vintage took the gold for Aged Beer at the 2011 GABF.

13. KazzakusPrime

KazzakusPrime Aspirant (40) Jan 15, 2013

I've been cellaring ST's Creme Brulee since October 2012. I find it phenomenal fresh - how'd you like it after 6-8 months?

14. Everything pre 09 BCS was twist offs I believe. I had some 08 about a year ago and it was excellent. Definitely cannot imagine it getting much better than it was then.