1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How long does a beer last in your cup?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by lsummers, Nov 17, 2012.

1. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (800) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

Have you tried eye balling imperial beers yet?

yamar68 likes this.
  2. All depends on style, but usually 20-30 minutes.

3. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Depends on the style really.

IPAs and pale ales and lower abv type things about 20 minutes. I try to savor and enjoy it as much as possible.

Stronger beers i tend to take longer on

4. Demer

Demer Aficionado (225) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

I tend to drink pretty slowly in general but I drink ipas for example way faster than a stout or barley wine. I drink more for the taste and experience I guess.

5. At my worst, Mother Earth Windowpane Peaches took me like 80 mins to finish a 750. It was a good beer, but I just couldnt drink it quickly. Bramble took 3 of us like 45 mins, but we were talking (mostly making fun of Ohio sports).

Normally about 20 mins. I can do a great IPA like Head Hunter or an English Pale in like 5 mins normally.

6. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

The answer to this greatly depends on style and ABV. If I have something like All Day IPA in my glass, 5-10min max. If I have some big RIS like Ten Fidy or Brooklyn BCS in there I am looking at around 30min.

7. Bonis

Bonis Savant (410) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Damn, seems like some people are drinking way too fast to even enjoy the beer.

For 12 oz, I'd say my minimum is a half hour. I can drink on a good imperial stout or barleywine for about an hour, enjoying the taste journey as it warms. If I am feeling pretty buzzed, I may drink on them even longer.

winbassett likes this.
  8. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

The first goes down pretty darned quick.....

9. What website are you referring to? My family lives in Vancouver and I am up there a ton. Love Central City and Yaletown as well.

10. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I don't know. Somehow I got it in my head I was responding to a Canadian who has a really cool website -'eh? Checked OP obviously not from Canada. Must have referenced wrong thread. Senior moment. Sorry :oops:

checktherhyme likes this.
  11. Oh, ten seconds or so.

12. I have found over the years that my pace is usually about 1 12 oz beer per quarter of football or a 22 oz bomber per half.

13. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (260) New York Aug 15, 2012

15-20 mins. could be quicker if im not careful/smart.

[​IMG]

Douberd, NWer and AcE311 like this.
  14. AcE311

AcE311 Disciple (70) Nov 13, 2012

I tend to drink all beer fairly quick however i cant down an IPA to save my life dont get me wrong I love IPAs but i have to take my time on them. On the other hand if im drinking Gunniess at the bars ill order two cuz by time the the second one is done building im already done with the first one haha.

Monnie likes this.
  15. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

What is this "cup" you speak of?

Guesstimate would be 15-20 minutes

16. Monnie

Monnie Aficionado (120) New Jersey Nov 17, 2012

I also slow down the higher ABV.... I do tend to drink my beers FAST, though. Especially IPAs, Pale Ales, etc. I drank a Six Point Resin in less than 10 min the other night. It was delicious.

cruzmissile72 and AcE311 like this.
  17. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Took me two hours to finish a bomber of the Abyss yesterday. I probably could have put it away faster but it was Sunday and I wasn't doing shit, figured I might as well take my time and savor it.

18. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Haha this is an awesome way to pace yourself.

Monnie likes this.
  19. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

I'm a slow drinker. If I'm drinking by myself, a typical 12oz IPA might last 30-60 minutes. Something bigger might last 60-90 minutes. In a social situation I'm guessing the times would be cut roughly in half.

20. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

2 hours for DFH WWS, 12oz bottle.

2 mins for an average IPA after a day raking the freakin' leaves

21. pmoney

pmoney Advocate (600) Colorado Apr 15, 2011

It depends, but probably generally longer than most people.

A can of Busch Light and a key: 9 seconds
    An IPA, pale ale, wheat beer: 20-40 minutes
    A stout, porter, DIPA: 30-60 minutes
    A lactic sour beer: 30-90 minutes
    A high-ABV barrel-aged beer: 45-120 minutes

djl9701 likes this.
  22. Yeah, like a glass of wine, a high ABV wine needs to open up a little after you pour it before you taste; like 45 seconds to a minute. Delicious beers I try to savor, even though I would like to take many sips. But usually a beer of lesser ABV last about 45 minutes to an hour, while a bigger beer like an RIS last at least an hour to an hour and a half :)

23. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Savant (420) Germany Mar 21, 2005

Depends on size and thirst of course. On average I'd say 15 to 20 minutes for half a liter. Unless I'm really thirsty. Then I've been known to empty a Maß in one long pull. I'm Bavarian. Sue me :p

When I'm in the US I (jokingly) refer to your serving sizes as "shot glasses" and treat them accordingly.

24. I spent a relaxing 2 hours sipping on this Saturday night, by a fire.
    [​IMG]

jglowe77 likes this.
  25. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I'm a slowpoke with almost anything. I can take at least couple hours on high ABV stuff which I feel is meant to be sipped versus slammed. Sometimes most of an evening for high ABV, big flavor, 750 or bigger bottle - not too unusual for that to happen. Even a 12 oz. Backwoods Bastard lasted an hour. Hell, it takes me until lunch to finish my morning coffee, for that matter. But I have noticed recently that a lower ABV or lighter style doesn't hang around nearly as long as it did - maybe fifteen minutes tops.

Think part of that is wanting to completely "get" the beer and I am trying lots of new brews, so slow consumption and savoring the experience is my approach. Hope it stays that way - I don't consume a lot of volume, but have felt that "need" to have another when going from bigger to "smaller" beers on occasion. Like many said in another thread, I have that "party mode" switch and know I don't want to go there too often, especially when by myself.

26. mynie

mynie Advocate (695) Massachusetts Jun 22, 2004

The title of this thread sounds like a bible verse.

yamar68 likes this.
  27. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of weak carbonation so I would say 15-20 minutes. Style and abv are irrelevant.

28. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

10-15min

29. "As long as it takes me to drink it", no rocket science for me.

30. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Most of the time faster than I should, although I've gotten smarter about it, depending on much "feel" I want.

When I first started with craft, I was a tad reckless similarly to how I did with BMC. One time after having a few bottles of Fullers 1845, I went to DFH Olde School Barley Wine which is 15.4 abv. My friend and I each drank two 12 oz bottles (right from the bottle) in less than 30 minutes. We left right after.

I drove (which I realize I shouldn't have) and was fine. I get home and sit in front of the computer then open a Bud Light. Next thing I remember I wake up on the couch. Not smart. :confused:

31. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

It depends on the temperature of the beer when it's poured. If it's pretty cold it will take a while to drink it since I want it to warm up so I can enjoy it.

FreshmanPour77 likes this.
  32. Stouts and barrel aged brews take me longer, the bigger brews are my favorite so I tend to enjoy longer and take my time. Anything else will be down in 20 minutes or so.

33. You really need to get a snifter! The beer police are on their way. RUN!!!

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  34. epk

epk Savant (325) New Jersey Jun 10, 2008

At home, drinking is always more relaxed. Anywhere between 30 up to 90 minutes I suppose. Maybe the average is under 60 minutes, but I know I looked at the clock recently and realized I had been milking he same beer for nearly two hours. Sometimes the beer sits and warms up for 30 minutes without me even touching it. It sort of just happens by mood, beer style and abv.

highdesertdrinker and Pando like this.
  35. I'll second EPK on that one with one caveat; I try try try to slow down on Quadrupels and other high ABV brews but I can still usually only stretch it to 40-45 minutes tops. St. Bernie and his ilk just taste too damn good! I can make a bomber last a while if I leave it in the bottle and take baby sips.

36. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

I spent 2 hours working on a 8 oz pour of Uncle Jacob's into a snifter....that beer is heaven.

37. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

I drink things way too fast. I don't want to but it's just too good and it's like my arm is on auto-pilot pushing it up to my mouth over and over. That's why I like a big challenging beer because it makes me go slower and savor it.

38. For me it's a combination of ABV and how much I'm enjoying the beer, but mostly the enjoyment factor. If I find the beer to be delicious, it would be hard to drink slowly. But if I'm really not diggin it..I might tend to sip it slowly, leave a little at the bottom of the glass, then pour the rest out. Anywhere from 10 minutes if I'm lovin the brew to an hour if i'm not feelin it.