1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How Long Does Hopslam Last?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by wtkphoto, Feb 22, 2013.

1. wtkphoto

wtkphoto Savant (490) Michigan Apr 3, 2009

I know this beer isn't supposed to be aged. My father in law lives in Grand Rapids and I had him buy me four of them. I won't be back up in there until very end of June. The bottles are in paper bag and in the fridge. Should I get him to ship them to me or wait until I get back up there in June/July?

2. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

If you have to ask....

Seriously though, I would have him ship them to you. If he's not a beer shipping master I would walk him carefully through the important steps:

- Pack them very very well. Once they're packed well enough, add more bubble wrap and start again. Individually wrap each bottle, etc...
    -Lots of room in the box. I can't tell you how easy it is for noobies to find boxes that are way too small to adequately ship glass bottles of beer.
    -Set up a fedex account and send him a return label. That's just nice of you.

That beer will be way passed by June

3. wtkphoto

That's what I thought and I am worried about him packing them correctly. Guess I'll have to take the chance. Thanks!

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Yeah, I'd have him ship them. To take the guess work out of shipping I'd order a six bottle styro shipper and have it sent to his house so he can just wrap the bottles in bubble wrap, drop the bottles in, tape up the box and ship.

5. Jwiss22

Jwiss22 Disciple (70) Pennsylvania Feb 10, 2009

As everyone else said, ship them if he's able. That beer you definitely want to drink fresh as possible to get the nice juicy hop flavor. After a few months, the honey takes over and it tastes boozy

6. The batch I have was bottled 1/9 and is already fading :/

7. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (295) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

it's a pretty interesting beer when oldish. My boss bought too many bottles and we still have ~3 cases of 2012 Hopslam in the basement. Not as good OF COURSE, but the honey flavor comes through way more, and the alcohol preserves it.

harrylee773 likes this.
  8. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

This is what you should do. Do this. Really.

9. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (650) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

The beer is still fine after 6 months. It is not as aggressive as when fresh, but it's certainly flavorful and enjoyable.

Also, ask yourself if you really want to put this on your father-in-law. Will this be a headache for him?

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry at all, and I especially wouldn't worry enough to actually ask him to package up beer and ship it to me by mail. The beer will be fine in June, and in the meantime, consider asking him to get you things that you can leave sit for long periods without worrying about. As for Hopslam, get a BA to send you some in trade next release.

Cheers,
    Jeff

JohnB87 and harrylee773 like this.
  10. wtkphoto

Thanks everyone. I walked him through packaging the beer on skype and the beer should make it to me in one piece. Thankfully my father in law is awesome and he likes connecting with me through beer so he doesn't mind doing this. He's not a beer snob, but he's on his way.

From now on I'll only ask for beers that last. It's nice going up there and having a good supply of releases throughout the year.

11. As long as you can hold off drinking it ;)

12. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

has anyone had this with a ton of age on it? Was looking for something else in my cellar a couple weeks ago when I came across a bottle from December 2009. Wondering if I should crack it or just let it keep going at this point.

13. I agree with this. My friend brought over a 2011 Hopslam earlier this month, and I was shocked there was still some hoppiness left. It drank quite well for a year-old Hopslam.

14. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I had one that was about 5 months old. It yasyed different, but it was still tasty as hell.

15. Drinking batch 11681 bottled 1/10/13 now and will attest to said fading.

16. mine was bottled on 01/10/13, its fading. I'm kinda disappointed in myself. I wish i would've drank it faster I still have 2 six packs of it left

17. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

Echo the shipment advice you've received earlier in this column. I just finished my last bottle, and wish I had done so about 2 weeks sooner. It's still a very good DIPA; it's just not the POSSUMSAUCE beer it was when it first came out.

18. wtkphoto

Got the beers today and they were all in one piece. He also included two Black Notes which was an awesome surprise!

19. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (655) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

That sucks. I bet he's going to remember that you owe him a favor the next time you're there and his lawn needs cut or he needs his gutters cleaned.