How long does it take your beers to clear once they are kegged?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mugs1789, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I have a CalCommon that has been kegged and in the kegerator for 2-3 weeks and it still hasn't cleared. It is improving but still cloudy. It is dryhopped but I don't think dryhopping is why it hasn't cleared.

2. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

It really depends on the beer and yeast used. Some of mine are clear immediately (especially if using an English yeast that flocculates well). Others can take forever and may never even clear. I find the beers that are dry hopped take the longest as well. Do you cold crash your beer before racking to keg? That can make a big difference.

3. ElPadrone

ElPadrone Aficionado (105) Texas Oct 20, 2009

My AG Cali Comm cleared right at the end of 2 weeks. Went from a little cloudy to crystal clear a the end of the second week!! Dont remember what yeast I used off the top of my head sorry

4. ryane

ryane Savant (355) Washington Nov 21, 2007

low Ca in water can make a yeast slow to floc, and cause other haze problems

Generally my beers are clear in about 1wk, though I tend to wait longer

5. premierpro

premierpro Savant (315) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I would be interested to know your yeast type. The California Lager strain is usualy crystal clear. I do not dry hop my California Commons so I can not comment on that.

6. I did not cold crash before kegging. I used Wyeast 2112.

I went straight from the primary to the keg, dryhopped immediately in the keg, then it sat next to the kegerator for a week or two at room temperature while waiting for a space to open up in the keg.

7. cracker

When I used that yeast, my beer was pretty clear right away (although it's been more than one year since I brewed it so I don't remember the exact time frame). That being said, perhaps it is something else that is causing your beer to not be clear such as protein haze?

8. Cracker: Is that a bearded dragon?

9. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (775) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Looks more lika an Agama species to me.

10. cracker

It's a Uromastyx (ornatus species). My wife used to have them as pets until her last one passed (pictured). Now that we have a 2 year old, getting a new one has taking a hiatus until our son is a little bit older. They are very cool lizards and make great companions believe it or not.