1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How long should I cellar the Barrel Aged Eclipse?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by TheThompsonator, Feb 7, 2013.

1. I just got 2 of the Barrel Aged Eclipse from Fifty Fifty via trade. I got 1 of the Elijah Craig (12yr) and 1 of the Evan Williams.

I've never had any of the barrel aged eclipse's before, and was curious as to whether I should cellar them or just drink them up now?
  2. jp7161

jp7161 Member

Drink them now
  3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

You have never had them, so drink them.
  4. ehammond1

ehammond1 Member

Yes.
  5. maximum12

maximum12 Member

From a guy who loves to play around with cellaring: drink them. These beers are fantastic fresh & fade in a hurry. At the one year mark they're a shell of their former selves. I'm a big fan, but I've seldom seen a bigger beer fall off this fast.
  6. ShanePB

ShanePB Member

I do enjoy the Eclipse beers fresh, don't get me wrong. But I recently (3 weeks ago) opened an Elijah 12-year from 2011 and it was awesome. Still tons of bourbon there. Nonetheless, OP, if you've never had them, DRINK. NOW.
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Member

Interesting, because I've held onto one of each & they've been less good across the board. Others in my (perhaps groupthink) tasting group have agreed.

However, you are also 100% correct. If you haven't had anything, try it fresh first!
  8. ShanePB

ShanePB Member

Could be; groupthink is an interesting phenomenon. In general, I agree with you though. I always prefer bourbon-forward beer fresh. No doubt. I just personally didn't think 1 year in the cellar hurt the Elijah 12-year that much.
  9. krl2112

krl2112 Member

I really only cellar if I have more than 1 of a specific beer. That way I can tell if it changes, for better, worse, etc. If you have only one, then I would very rarely cellar.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Member

First, all Eclipse are barrel-aged. Saying "Barrel-aged Eclipse" is redundant.

Second, if you only have one, drink it. That's pretty much always the answer.
    krl2112 likes this.