1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How long should I cellar the Barrel Aged Eclipse?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by TheThompsonator, Feb 7, 2013.

1. TheThompsonator

TheThompsonator Aspirant (25) Apr 26, 2012

I just got 2 of the Barrel Aged Eclipse from Fifty Fifty via trade. I got 1 of the Elijah Craig (12yr) and 1 of the Evan Williams.

I've never had any of the barrel aged eclipse's before, and was curious as to whether I should cellar them or just drink them up now?
  2. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (335) California Dec 22, 2011

Drink them now
  3. You have never had them, so drink them.
  4. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Yes.
  5. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

From a guy who loves to play around with cellaring: drink them. These beers are fantastic fresh & fade in a hurry. At the one year mark they're a shell of their former selves. I'm a big fan, but I've seldom seen a bigger beer fall off this fast.
  6. I do enjoy the Eclipse beers fresh, don't get me wrong. But I recently (3 weeks ago) opened an Elijah 12-year from 2011 and it was awesome. Still tons of bourbon there. Nonetheless, OP, if you've never had them, DRINK. NOW.
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Interesting, because I've held onto one of each & they've been less good across the board. Others in my (perhaps groupthink) tasting group have agreed.

However, you are also 100% correct. If you haven't had anything, try it fresh first!
  8. Could be; groupthink is an interesting phenomenon. In general, I agree with you though. I always prefer bourbon-forward beer fresh. No doubt. I just personally didn't think 1 year in the cellar hurt the Elijah 12-year that much.
  9. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I really only cellar if I have more than 1 of a specific beer. That way I can tell if it changes, for better, worse, etc. If you have only one, then I would very rarely cellar.
  10. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

First, all Eclipse are barrel-aged. Saying "Barrel-aged Eclipse" is redundant.

Second, if you only have one, drink it. That's pretty much always the answer.
    krl2112 likes this.