1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How long would you say an IPA is good for?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Alextricity, Jan 26, 2013.

1. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Member

23 1/2 hours.
  2. ncstateplaya

ncstateplaya Member

IPAs are good until they are gone, but best when fresh.
    So take that as you wish.
  3. drtth

drtth Member

While India is certainly a warm clime in most of its area, the British were shipping beer to more than one warm clime, so the recommendation was generic for all warm climates and not made specifically for shipment of beer to India. India is a subset to which the recommendation was applied. So the statement that it was the Indian market triggered the increase is indeed a myth.

In particular note the words, "anywhere warm" include India but are not specific to India, which was the claim made.
  4. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

Huh?
  5. SenorHops

SenorHops Member

Agreed. For whatever reason, their hoppy beers do tend to hold up longer. I once was stunned when I had some 11 week old Torpedo and it still tasted bright and fresh.
  6. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Member

Yes, Im well aware. The next sentence after what I quoted specifically said "not just India". There are myths about IPA, its trying to pick and choose from someones comments which part is myth and which isnt.

The statement that set off this subthread wasnt entirely myth, which was my point.

I dont think the original claim was India and only India. Just that it was done for India. Which is true. It was also done for Africa and the Caribbean and etc.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Member

Below was posted in a past thread by BA erway of La Cumbre Brewing:

"Well... I think Sierra Nevada kinda throws that last statement out the window. What they have done is to simply not make much of any beer that relies on enormous hop aroma and focus intensely on QA/QC ensuring their beer tastes pretty damn close 6 months out to what it tasted like the day it was packaged. And that's a route to go if you have millions to spend on equipment and personnel.

Cheers!
  8. Revenant

Revenant Member

Someone was watching Wisconsin Foodie.
  9. SimcoeJoe

SimcoeJoe Member

Your IPA's must be consumed with 2 months! No longer than 3 months! I am a robot!
  10. ChanChan

ChanChan Member

Yea, last time I had a Pliny I had to run errands so I left the last half of my glass out for about an hour and yea, you're right, it was stale by then! :rolleyes:
  11. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Member

Don't they have a special hoping method invented for Torpedo? I believe the contraption is called a Hop Torpedo lol so that might have something to do with it.
    SenorHops likes this.
  12. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Member

As soon as those hops are picked, the IPA starts dying :(
    BLACKENEDPLAGUE likes this.
  13. Alextricity

Alextricity Member

So many of the same jokes recycled in this thread. Holy hell..
    Kuaff likes this.
  14. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Member

Surprised at 11 weeks! Imagine my surprise after my father in law handed me a 5 month old Torpedo this past weekend that tasted damn near what a fresh one does. I'm sold.
    SenorHops likes this.
  15. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Member

Here comes the HERESY! Dedicated to all of those BA's who believe an IPA or DIPA is "old" by the time it gets boxed-- I saved 1 5th Anniversary IPA from Stone, had it 7 YEARS later, and while it was not the same, it was still good. :D
  16. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member

How long is an IPA good for? I'd say quite a long time. Ideal? No. But good? For the most part, yes. It depends on the individual beer obviously, but in my experience very few fall off so dramatically that they're going from delicious to undrinkable over just a few months. I'm not going to walk into a bottle shop and purposefully purchase a 6-month old IPA, but if that's what someone else has in their fridge, pass me one. I'll drink it happily.
  17. yamar68

yamar68 Member

You didn't finish your ellipsis...
    Zimm and Bitter_Echo like this.
  18. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Member

I had a Union Jack last night, bottling date 1/28/13. It had fallen off quite a bit. Hopslam after a month and a half wasn't the same, neither was Sculpin. That said, I still think it's a matter of opinion/dependent on the particular brew.
  19. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Member

That's why I start an IV drip the day before its finished conditioning.
    bozodogbreath likes this.
  20. erik13

erik13 Member

Bought a week old case old Flower Power...amazing until about the third week then the taste really fell off.
    After the fourth week it was not good at all.
  21. GottaHaveMyHops

GottaHaveMyHops Member

I still have a few hopslams left and I gotta say that they are still good but that the hop kick is toned down making the maltiness more noticeable.. Some people I know have some from last year but I think you gotta drink a DIPA within 4 or 5 months before it starts tasting blahhh.. Hoppy beers don't stand the test of time well even if they are high abv.

HOWEVER, I had a 2 yo Left Hand Chainsaw (I know it's not technically an IPA) and was surprised by how delicious it was, even though the hops had faded.
  22. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Member

Hmmm. Like everything here, all sorts of different opinions and ways and means to enjoyment abound.
    Hardly surprising. There's an old saying in Latin (below) that says, essentially, "There is no accounting (explaining) matters of taste." Meaning, I think, you shouldn't argue too much preferences as right or good, and people with different ones are ignorant or worse, because in the end, you can't really tell where your taste for something comes from anyway, so don't bother (and before you scream at me, I'm just saying that you can make a list of stuff you like sure but it's hard to know why you like this and that: In turn, a deeply impenetrable question). It's fun, sure, to see what others think and do but, I can't get too hot about any major disagreement (FYI: I think I like IPA's super fresh, but I can't really get cranked about not drinking them beyond, like 2 days, because then I wouldn't be drinking any hardly ever either and that would suck. I like and value freshness, though, and I dig running around looking for fresh kills...I just don't know why.).

De gustibus non est disputandum!
  23. StevenSpringer

StevenSpringer Member

They are only good straight from the bunghole, once it touches air its ruined forever.
  24. mnrider

mnrider Member

It depends on the beer. For me it's anywhere from 3 to 5 months. Once in awhile it can be 2 months or 6. People who believe the taste goes away within a month are wrong. For them it's psychological, they actually believe so much that it won't taste the same it becomes a reality to them. But only in their mind.
  25. namyarb3

namyarb3 Member

I've never had an 'aged' IPA other than DFH120. Fresh DFH120 was mega hot with booze (surprise) and had a wine flavor...to me. Aged for a year it smoothed out a ton and had notes of brandy and dark fruits. The issue is that the aroma, and to a lesser extent, hop flavor will fade as soon as it is made. For a truly hop forward IIPA like Heady or Pliny, that can be bad news. I've tried Heady from 2 weeks old and Heady from 3 months old. There is definitely a difference. The massive aroma, which will affect your flavor perception, was way subdued and had changed with the time.
    Still good, but not what it once was.
    I had some clowns give me lip about Pliny I had that was not even a month old. They were still awesome.

Drink IIPA's as fresh as you can to get the true flavor. Unless it is meant to be aged like DFH120 or others. They may still be good at six months, but it will absolutely be different.
  26. RussBeercier

RussBeercier Member

A nearby bar started the season with 8 cases of Hopslam. Since it's not on their menu, it has not moved that fast. When I first tried it, I was blown away at how good it was. I want back there the other day and they still have some left. It was still good, but not the same.
  27. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Member

Won't buy IPAs more than 2 months old.
  28. ESHBG

ESHBG Member

I am not a huge Hop Head but I have gotten way more into hoppier beers over the last year or so, and I have really learned a lot about them. I have done some very basic aging experimentation with various IPAs and I did notice a bit of a difference with most after 45 days and even more so after 60+ days. To me the beers were still drinkable and no issues at all there, but the hops had noticeably faded. So if you're a Hop Head looking for the hoppiest taste a beer can provide, I would always recommend the fresher the better then. However for most people, I think within 45 days would be totally okay. But anything after 60+ days I could see a valid argument for the beer not being a true representation of what the brewer may have intended (not bad by any means mind you, but not quite the beer that it is supposed to be).

*I am mainly speaking about IPAs and I haven't tried different things with DIPAs yet.
  29. BenTenison

BenTenison Member

Nick Floyd said an IPA is good for 1 day for every IBU.

Also if your beer whether amazing or not can't last more than 2 months it is not a well made beer.
  30. BattleRoadBrewer

BattleRoadBrewer Member

That's like asking Mr. Owl how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop.
  31. BLACKENEDPLAGUE

BLACKENEDPLAGUE Member

As soon as you think about making an IPA the strength starts to decay