1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How many bottle shops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beercanman, Feb 25, 2013.

1. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

When I go shopping I have 4 stores I hit all the time, every time. Do you BAs shop at one shop more than others or do you hit all of them when your out shopping for beer?

2. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (710) Texas Jan 13, 2007

It really depends on what I'm looking for. For the most part, I have a favorite shop that is down the road from me. There are also several shops that I check out from time to time during lunch breaks. If there is something I really want (and places are limiting the quantity you can buy), I'll check out several stores.

jglowe77 likes this.
  3. I have one main place and 3 others that I frequent depending on if I am in the neighborhood or not.

xxbillay and Providence like this.
  4. beercanman

I always check my 4 (there is a 5th but they have weird hours) because all of them have usually have different stock. I very rarely go looking for certain beer. I love the thrill of a good surprise.

5. beercanman

I guess I'm lucky. My main 4 are almost in a perfect circle and close to my house. I literally would have to drive right by them.

Irishize75 likes this.
  6. beerindex

beerindex Savant (295) Missouri Jun 18, 2007

Assuming I am "at home" (read: not travelling) I have one primary store I go to, and then 2-3 other stores that I will check out less frequently, particularly if what I'm looking for is out of stock at my store of choice.

7. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

There's only one in my immediate area, but it's a solid store. Beyond that, the next one is about a 40-minute round trip (but the selection is not quite as good as my local place), then there's one that's a 1-hour round trip and then there are a few more that are about a 2-hour round trip. Not exactly a beer paradise around here, but it could be worse.

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I have one main shop but I will go to any within decent driving distance to find something in particular.

9. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'm promiscuous. I go to 5 different shops regularly, and an additional 2-3 occassionally. Some are 40 miles apart from each other (often w/ heavy traffic), so no way am I hitting them all at once. I do one at a time. Whomever I'm closest to at the time will see my smiling face. Or I make a special trip because of a facebook posting of new stock.

10. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I usually go to one place that is near my work. Before I moved I had a spot I went to all the time. I could still go their now but I hate driving out of my way for stuff.

11. I keep an open mind and a closed wallet. That is, I tend to spread my business around. I have purchased beer from at least 6 stores on a regular basis plus the occasional bargains at supermarkets or Target [Yes, I check dates carefully at those places]. I know that a certain store is normally higher priced than others but keep everything refrigerated so that's where I go if I have a craving for a particular beer. With new or seasonal releases, as long as I'm there within a week or so of the release, I go to the lowest priced store since they don't have enough time to mishandle the beer. I have one main place for growlers since they pressure fill. I have tried to keep a running list of prices but have faltered lately. Besides work and beer, I don't have much of a life.

dianimal likes this.
  12. alelover

alelover Advocate (595) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

i live in a area that doesn't have jack shit for beer stores. i have one nice little gem of a store right by me but other then that its 40 minutes to an hour to the really good stores. so yea when i go out of town to beer shop i usually have to stock up and hit up several places.

13. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

I go to one bottle shop regularly and three others occasionally.

The one I go to regularly is close to my house and the owner is awesome, so I'd much rather give him my business than random people I don't know. I guess I'm extremely loyal by nature anyways and he took care of me from the get-go, so that's where I'll be getting the majority of my beer.

There is a shop a little ways away, but they tend to have harder to find selections when I'm feeling pricy. Also has a fellow BA running the register, so that made for a fun first visit.

The other two are in Arizona, so I stop by whenever I'm back in town. First one is a gourmet grocery chain with an incredibly knowledgeable and beer-passionate cellar master, my old #1 place to go. Dude hooked me up with Cantillon and other limiteds on a regular basis. Also just an all around good guy.

The other is.... don't crucify me for this... a Total Wine. Yep. In a last ditch effort to find Utopias, I dropped by. This particular store not only had TWO of them (which I quickly added to my cart), but also had Ivan the Terrible about a week before I expected to see it and had a couple bottles of 3F on the shelf. Honestly, I've never been impressed by big box liquor stores, including others of the same branding, but whoever is doing the craft at this location is doing it right.

14. beercanman

I get the loyalty thing. I like all of my shops owners. First name basis with 3. As for the total wine thing, I wish I had one close to me. No judgment here. Beer is beer and I don't care where it comes from. Cheers!

Pecan likes this.
  15. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I hit the same shop on the way home from work whenever I need to stock up. Sometimes I'll poke up to a store nearby my house when they have something I haven't found elsewhere, but mostly it's just one shop for me.

16. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I have 2 that I go to almost every week and another 3 that I will check out on occasion if I'm in the area.

dianimal likes this.
  17. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

I go to one shop most of the time but will check out others if I am looking for something in particular they do not have. I would rather drive out of my way to spend my money somewhere that treats you right and is not out to rip you off and make a fast buck. In my case there are 4 decent places to buy beer that are closer than my go to shop.

18. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Not having a car to get out of the city I'm pretty limited. There's a few stores within walking distance and I primarily go to one of them. There's another store I like alot but only go if I'm in the neighborhood

19. meanmutt

meanmutt Advocate (650) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

I have 1 that's 5 minutes from my house that I hit up just about every week. The only problem with that place is that they don't get limited release stuff such as KBS, Black Note, etc...For the limited stuff, I've got 2 others that I will go to, but they are each 20 to 30 minutes from my house.

20. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

I kinda feel like a whore after reading this thread.
    There are 4 stores I pop in at least weekly. Another 4-5 that I go to at least once a month and another 3-4 that I go to any time I'm in the area. I'm also a fan of popping in any other store I pass just to see what kind of selection they carry for any future needs. I like to be familiar with all of my options but I do give the bulk of my business to those few stores I like between work and home.

My wife and friends can confirm that I have a serious beer buying problem.

beercanman and Pecan like this.
  21. I pretty much only go to 2-3 stores. I tend to stay away from the smaller stores because of their poorer selection and they tend to sell a lot of old beer. Also its no fun having the clerks staring at you the whole time while youre searching. In a bigger store youre usually out of their view.

22. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Three. One I work at a mile from my house and actually still frequent two others about twice a week for any items that we do not carry. One is right next to my favorite Bagel shop under a mile from my house that I'll pop into as my sausage egg and cheese is cooking. The other is my favorite store about 15 mintues away with a vast selection and a great Manager. Since the second time being there he was friendly, put limited beer in the back for me, and even brought in a can of Jai Alai from his case just so I could try it (we don't get cigar city in Jersey) We have a nice friendship going, give eachother free beer the other hasn't had, and are in no way competative in the buisiness aspect. I couldn't imagine having to go way out of the way to get beer. I sometimes go to the store just because I'm bored and it's close.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  23. I have 2 primary spots. 1 by my office, and 1 on the way home from my office... so those are my go to. I will stop off at a dingy shop if I think it could be a hidden gem, but my go to's haven't done me wrong yet, so why ruin a good thing?

24. Squiggy

Squiggy Aficionado (215) Michigan Feb 18, 2013

I have one local shop that i go to. Mostly because they are the only decent shop in Northern Michigan. The other shops sell mostly ABC products.
    Not many people buy craft beer from the place i shop at. Its a good thing and a bad thing. Good thing because i can get pretty much any limited release by the case. Bad thing is that some of the bottles sit for a while. Today i actually stopped by and picked up a bunch of Stone. They still have Vertical Epic 10-12 for 8 bucks a bottle. I grabbed a 22oz bomber of Cali Belgique today. Upon closer inspection when i got home, i see that it was bottled 4/16/04.

25. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Since Pennsylvania has retarded liquor laws, there is only one supermarket chain in my area that sells beer, so I go there 95% of the time when I'm home (I go to a myriad of different shops when I'm in Philly). My only other option is to go to bars/restaurants that sell beer to go, where the prices are jacked, although I will occasionally go to one Italian place by me that has really started to amp up their craft selection and have built a pretty good relationship with the manager there. Luckily, the supermarket has a very nice craft selection, and nearly everything is reasonably priced. On my last trip, they were stocked up with everything from fresh Double Jack, Sculpin and Palate Wrecker to Wake n Bake, FIS, and Victory at Sea (plus a plethora of Belgians...St. Bernardus, Saison Dupont, Chimay, etc). Just have to check the dates on the stuff as they keep stuff on the shelves even if it isn't selling (they still have Deviant Dale's IPA dated 11/7/12 for example).

26. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I found a gem of a beer store in NJ. It's called Joe Canal's. They have pretty much everything I need in a beer store. Growlers, 1/2 growlers, single 12 oz. bottles and cans at a very fair price, a variety of 22 oz. bottles, some at $5 or less, a decent amount of 6-packs, good selection of cases, etc.. I go at least once a week to ck. out the growlers especially as they get new brews in EVERY week. They usually have 10-12 taps each time I go there. They allow up to 4 samples of which I always find one that hits the spot. They have a bottle club which you can join for free and you get a discount rate on many items. If your in NJ or just visiting there is one in Woodbridge on Rt. 1 near the WB Mall or there's on down in Lawrenceville also on Rt.1. Hoppy shopping!

27. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I go to 2 regularly, as in every week. They are my core stores where I know the owners and they carry my beer out for me. I have another 10-12 I will go to if I need something special. Hubby works in Kzoo, GrandRapids, and all over west Michigan, so he has a few stores in every city.

28. Resuin

Resuin Champion (795) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

There are 7 bottle shops on my island that have a decent selection of beer and 1 is right on way home from work, so I go to that one most, but I go the extra couple miles to a slightly bigger one a couple times per month. That being said, I have hit all 7 in one day before (as much of a "road trip" as you can get on O'ahu).

29. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I have one main shop at home and another I hit when I travel to see my family. I will occasionally hit other stores for a specific beer, but my shop takes good care of me and so I try and give them as much of my business as I can.

30. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I have 3 stores that I visit when I make my rounds and yes, usually on the same day.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  31. DinoFight

DinoFight Aficionado (235) Arizona Jan 23, 2013

I have two favorites but pretty much stick to just one if them. I will occasionally hit my second store if I am in the mood for that rare or not normally distributed here beer.

32. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

4 within 5 miles of my house.

Here's the thing. There's a dedicated craft beer store/tap room that carries alot of fantastic beers, but runs out of great beers quick eventhough they get the biggest supplies. Biggest pro for this store is tasting the tap beers, getting good info on incoming beers, and good advice on beer selection in general.

There's a wine shop with a great small selection and since the owner knows nothing about beer, I advise her on what to order. I get treated really well there, and she automatically reserves me bottles when hard to get beers come in. (Added bonus: When she get's stuff like 120 min and Olde School that ages well, I can ask her to keep them in her wine storage and don't have the pressure of not wanting to open them and drink them!)

A third one I shop at can be a jackpot store. It's a liquor store with a very small but fantastic variety of craft beer. (1 double cooler full of crafts is the total, but all really quality ones.) NOONE shops this store for beer, but someone there knows what they are ordering. This store right now has 4 six packs of Hopslam on the shelf when all of the other stores locally are sold out or holding the few remaining for regulars. Those 4 six packs will likely be there for a good while since everyone who shops there thinks 16.99 for a 6 pack is 100% INSANE. I love that place when they have hard to get beer, becasue I don't have to stress about running out and getting it 30 min after it hits the stores.

33. For overall beer purchases, my go-to store is Total Wine. I will hit up the smaller bottle shops to supplement what I can't get at TW.

34. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

I've tried to limit the number of shop I frequent recently, go to one for my regulars and any releases I'm looking for, if they don't carry something then I'll look elsewhere. I think it's better to build a good relationship with one store rather than hitting 3 or 4, especially if is just to get limits of realases at each.

35. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

3 shops in total for me. 2 of them are on the way to my gf's house and 1 is on the way back from school. Never need to go out of my way to pick up beers.

36. Sums me up too.....

37. 1 that I stop at 1 to 2 times a week, another 3 that I hit regularly, and another 4 every couple months or so, or when I'm trying to track down something a little harder to find.

38. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

One store, Beers of the World. The owner Tony, knows me as does his daughter and son in law and most of the employees. I am treated like Royalty.

Mediczod and beercanman like this.
  39. beercanman

I love that. One of my stores I actually go in the entrance behind the building. They show me the goods and get first pick. I do however spend a small fortune there but they treat me really well. I find that fair.

40. CTJman

CTJman Advocate (695) Connecticut Jan 14, 2013

I'm lazy. I call before I go if I'm searching for a certain beer