How many bottle shops?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beercanman, Feb 25, 2013.

1. I have one favorite shop that I try to go to most often. Its most convenient to stop at on my way home from work, and a little out of the way on weekends. Then I have 3 other shops I'll go to when I'm in the area. One's close to home, one is right next to where I'll have lunch sometimes, and the third is near my parents house.

2. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (670) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

Because it is so close, the selection amazing for what it is (a Shoprite liquors) and my openness for trying new craft, I don't really see the need to find another bottle shop. However, if I happen to stumble onto ( as opposed to stumble into) another in the area, I'll take a look.

3. I have one bottle shop where I constantly get recommendations from the staff and a 5-10% discount (and it's cheap in the first place). That said, they don't take advantage of their distribution as much as they should, so I have to go to other shops that aren't as personable or inexpensive.

No shop is perfect, nor will shops ever be perfect as long as the chain between brewery and bottle shop is so long.

4. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I have a local chain of liquor stores with maybe 10 outlets that caters first and foremost to the college crowd and a store that sells primarily exotic health food stuff and has a huge international beer selection. I have to frequent both because there is no rhyme or reason to either place. The local chain allows each store to independently control their inventory. As ridiculous as this sounds the main store did not buy Founders RIS and I had to go to a smaller store that I had never bothered to go into.

The health food place had Plead the 5th but the chain didn't even though they carry Dark Horse beers.

5. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I'm with you, I like to call ahead if I'm looking for something specific. Depending on the shop some clerks know less about beer than a 3rd grader... The quick pop in visit pays dividends in those cases when you find something unexpected.

6. I have 4 all on the same highway all close to each other that I hit up regularly. Then there's a killer shop that's kind of out of the way that I go to if I'm looking for something specific. Then there's a total wine about half an hour away from me but I usually call to make sure they have at least one thing I'm looking for to make it worth the trip.

7. there are about 12 that are in the area that i'll frequent.. of those 12 five or six are ones i'll go to pretty often.. of those 5 or 6 there are 2-3 regular stops

its all depends.. if it's a regular brew that isn't allocated then i can just go to my normal shop and be done.. if it is an allocated item and i'd like to get more than what one store can sell then i have to visit other stores

if it's an ipa and i want to get it as fresh as possible i hit up a store that gets Monday deliveries near me.. whereas other stores near me won't get it in till Thursday/Friday.. yeah it's only a few days but that's a few days the hops are starting to diminish so i'll grab it from the first shop i can (this doesn't happen often, but occasionally it does)

if it's an import there is one shop that gets the really hard to get brews.. Cantillon etc and the beer guy there is awesome too.. really that shop and another close to me with bottom dollar prices and great selection and beer guy are my go to shops, both beer guys treat me great, love talking beer, love beer etc. the other stores are just ones i'll stop in to pick up more of something i can't get enough of.. I live in a very nice triangle/circle of stores with great selection and a hop skip/jump over to philly/pa for PA only stuff

8. Rion

Rion Savant (265) North Carolina Jan 30, 2013

Mostly I have one shop that I'll go too for basically anything I need and if it is not there I will hit up a few others but thats normally not the case.

9. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

I was going to say depending on how close you are to Philly, I see that Hawthornes will have Jai Alai in a week or so. Tomorrow is White Oaked Jai Alai as well as some good ones on tap at 4 pm! :D

10. Giovannilucano

Wine Works-- I go here for my Italian craft mainly

Wegmans - I go here for bulk

Joe Canals- I stopped here twice already to speak of beer manager as well as find some stuff not available in area

Cooks- My local store with some good finds such as BCBS, 120, seasonals...

Hawthornes in Philly- To find some stuff not available in NJ, such as Belgians, Sours, Italian, Japanese, and Mid west specialties

11. My regulars are 5 different places spanning 3 states.

12. sixerofelixir

sixerofelixir Savant (390) Ohio Oct 27, 2009

I have two where I work, and two around my home. Each place consists of a Mom & Pop and a local grocery chain. Once visit per week at each place is good enough to view the new selections. I hit them all up, as they each tend to get different things in..

13. scootsmal

scootsmal Savant (260) New York Aug 15, 2012

For me its all about where I am at the time.

At work, Glenville Beverage is 5 mins away. Carrys most and get the new stuff quickly.
    At home, EBI in Saratoga is 10 Mins away. Smart Staff, MYO 6'ers is nice
    Feeling like driving - Hoosick St Beverage (Troy - Great Staff, Killer selection) and Westmere Beverage (Great Selection, some unique stuff) are about 40 mins. I usually spend heavily at these places.

14. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Thanks for the heads up. Im about forty minutes away with about forty friends that live there so I venture up there here and there (one buddy works at the foodery) I must take a trip there sooon as one of these guys is holding an Enjoy by for me, yea the 2.15 version that I didn't 'drink in time' haha. I want that white oak ohhhhh so bad

15. Giovannilucano

Awesome hehe. It is good having great beer friends! I will have to tell you about my bad Foodery experience sometime...Very interesting tale...

16. I only buy from Beers of the World. I'm good friends with Sue, and friendly with most of the other staff. They will set things aside for me if I call and ask, and stand behind what they sell. And if they don't have something I'm looking for, they will get it for me. Wegman's won't do that. About the only thing they don't do is take direct deposit out of my paycheck, and I'm working on that! ;-)

fx20736 likes this.
  17. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I have 1 that I visit every weekend, then another one that I might visit every other week. Then there are two others I might visit once every other month. And then there's a total wine a half hour away that I might visit three times a year.

18. I've probably got 4 I use with equal regularity, but I've got several more in my little black book for a lil' whoremongering on the side..

19. I frequent 3, and have about 10 others I visit when I'm in the area or when there's a limited release and I strike out at the first three.