1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How many carboys do you own?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Beerontwowheels, Feb 25, 2013.

?

How many carboys do you own?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2013.
  1. 1

10.5%
  2. 2

12.3%
  3. 3

12.3%
  4. 4

15.8%
  5. 5

14.0%
  6. 6

9.6%
  7. 7

5.3%
  8. 8

4.4%
  9. 9

2.6%
  10. 10+

13.2%
  1. Let's be honest, if you're not using buckets, but instead using glass or plastic carboys to ferment in, these things take up a ton of space. Doesn't matter if they're empty or full.

So, using the poll, how many carboys are in your fleet/stable/brewery? I'm curious how many the average homebrewer owns.

Myself, I have six total. Two 6.5 gallon glass, two 5 gallon glass, and now two 6 gallon Better Bottles. I hope that numbers suits me, because I have run out of space for homebrewing equipment (and I'll leave my wife's commentary out of this!).

I just purchased the 2 Better Bottles to use exclusively for sours. While I don't anticipate buying any more carboys this year, my recent move to ten gallon batches (or, at least having the capability to brew 10G batches) might necessitate such.

How many of my carboys are full? Well, that's another question, for another day!

Cheers guys/gals!
    kbuzz likes this.
  2. I have 5. One 6.5 gallon glass, one 5 gallon glass, and three 5 gallon Better Bottles. 4 of which have beer in them. Oh shit it's actually six! I have a 3 gallon Better Bottle too, which also has beer in it.
    Beerontwowheels likes this.
  3. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

i have lost count. I have 9 in use right now, plus alot more out in my storage rack ready to be used.
  4. That's a hell of a lot of beer!
  5. two 5g glass..but I don't primary in them..they are just for the secondary..I'm still going to get into conicals but haven't pulled the pin on it yet..I'm moving up to 10g batches and have to decide on whether to do a 1/2 barrel conversion or do some 5g corneys..
  6. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

8x 6 gallon BB, 2x 3 gallon BB, 2x 9.8 gal Spiedel (Clean Beers)
    2x 5 gallon BB, 4x 7 gallon Bucket (Sours)
    + Barrels.
  7. dfess1

It's not all beer.

one 6.5 gal of barleywine
    three 5 gal of flemish red that is bulk aging for sourness
    one 6 gal with a bourbon barrel aged belgian tripple
    one 6 gal with a bulk aged soured IPA (needs to be bottled come to think of it)
    one 5 gal with cider that needs to be dumped, screwed something up here, but it was my first cider
    one 3.5 gal with cider that is clear and needs to age
    one or two 6 gal with wine
  8. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

2 6.5 glass, 1 5g gllass and 2 6.5 bobber. Plus 4, 1g jugs, don't k ow if those count.
  9. I have 2 6.5 gallon glass carboys and 2 5 gallon glass carboys.
  10. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (500) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

4 6 gal BB, and 4 5 gal BB, plus 1 6 gal glass and a 6.5 gal bucket, as well as 10 1 gallon jugs. All the 6 gallons have beer in them at this moment, as well as the bucket.
  11. jlpred55

jlpred55 Savant (270) Iowa Jul 26, 2006

1-6 gal BB and 1-5 gallon BB, the rest are all buckets and I use them 95% of the time. I only use the BB's for secondary or the odd lager ferment for the 6 gal. Buckets IMO are the way to go.
  12. Number times size, glass or otherwise: 3*6.5, 3*6, 8*5, 2*2.5, 1*3, 2*7 (or what ever the big buckets are), 1*14.5 SS conical, 1*7.5 oak barrel (infected for lambics), 1*5 oak barrel (infected for Flanders Red).
  13. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

I keep saying I want more, but rarely are they all filled. I am hoping that will change soon, but that is mainly due to the long wait time of sours, which I am doing a lot more of
  14. rbartow

rbartow Aficionado (100) New York Sep 16, 2009

While I only have 4 glass carboys, I do have 10 Corney Kegs. I've modified the lids on some of them to serve as long term secondary aging vessels.
  15. 7 x 25L, 2 carboys, 2 x 7.5L, 1 conical and 1 barrel. Next week on Hoarders
  16. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

I answered 8, but 4 are glass that I replaced with better Bottles. I rarely use the glass ones now except for long-term aging.
  17. beer272

beer272 Aficionado (210) New Jersey Sep 23, 2009

1 glass 5 G. 3 better bottles 5 G. 2 better bottles 3 G. I usually start the primary in a bucket. Though I have 2 of the 5G BB's is use as primary's on my 1st AG partigyle.
  18. wspscott

wspscott Savant (490) Kentucky May 25, 2006

1 5 gallon glass and 1 6.5 gallon Better Bottle. Hardly ever use either one. I have 18 cornies and all of my bulk aging happens in those, all primaries are in buckets.
  19. kbuzz

kbuzz Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

carboys are expensive, heavy, dangerous and hard to clean. I have two for secondary purposes, but try to stick mostly to plastic buckets...of which I have about a half dozen or so...

Also, I get so sick of my beer so quicky, I'm actually considering downsizing to 3 gallons batches...so might have to trade all this stuff in and buy some smaller stuff
  20. You need more local home brewing friends to help drink that delicious nectar. Or just bottle it and send to me (more often than you already do).
  21. kbuzz

This is actually counter-productive. All my homebrewing buddies have their own damn beer to drink.

Believe me dude - I'd love to send you more beer...but bottling sucks and I'm lazy. Need to start drinking and saving empty forty bottles.
  22. MrOH

MrOH Savant (440) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

1 6.5g glass
    1 5g glass
    1 3g glass
    1 6.5 bucket
    1 7.9 bucket

6.5 is for primary with no dry hop, 5g can either be primary (smaller batch) or secondary, 3g is secondary, buckets are primary with or without dry hopping
  23. koopa

koopa Champion (765) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

An even dozen....

GLASS
    6x 6.5 gallon
    3x 5 gallon
    2x 3 gallon

PLASTIC
    1x 5 gallon
  24. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

I really only use my one 6 gallon better bottle. I have two glass carboys which I haven't used in years and my original plastic bucket from almost 15 years ago.
  25. For someone like me who has never home-brewed, this thread has the funniest title I've seen in a while. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  26. dfess1

i'll concede the expensive, heavy and dangerous (if you don't take precautions) part, but hard to clean?? Fill it up with hot water and either PBW or your choice of oxyclean free, and let it sit over night. Most times I don't even need a brush.
  27. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

looks like low 20's
    10 of them are 3g better bottles. I use a lot of them for mead secondary.
  28. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (695) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

Glass Carboys: one 5-gallon, one 3-gallon. These don't see much action. The 5-gal was last used for a Brett beer secondary about 6 months ago. Can't remember when the 3-gallon was used last. I sometimes use it if I want to make a small blending batch or have a couple gallons of fresh apple juice to make cider. My last use may have been to make a biggish lager starter.

Better Bottle: 1 5-gallon. I use this for bug beers. So far, I used it for a Berlinner Weiss and a Flanders brown. Currently has another Flander's souring.

Plastic buckets - 5, including two bottling buckets. One carboy and one bottling bucket is reserved for bug beers and seldom see action. The remaining two buckets are work-horse primary fermenters. The remaining bottling bucket gets used only when I am not kegging - typically that means a higher octane Belgian beer.

Corny Kegs - 3. I've gradually moved into kegging in the last 18 months. My two tap lines seems paltry. My 3 cornies feels insufficient. The problem is I like to brew and I can make beer much faster than I can drink it! Kegs get used for low and moderate gravity drinkers, including lagers, which I think I should start brewing more often.
  29. Mattreinitz

Mattreinitz Zealot (80) New York Mar 1, 2012

I need to expand my operation. At the moment I only have 2 buckets and one 5 gal bb, but thanks to some careful planning there are always at least 2 beers fermenting at any given time. Last weekend I racked a red ale to the bb for secondary just so I could get a bucket vacant to put a stout in.
  30. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Recently I sold off 2 6.5gal's and 5 5gal glass...
    Leaving me with 3 6.5gals, 2 5gals, 1 5gal lab grade nalgene and an older 12gal B3 SS conical.

Also sold off...9 cornies? Leaving me with 8...I think and 5 3gal cornies.
  31. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

5 carboys, two PET bottles, 3 glass and one barrel
  32. Well, we've had ~90 votes and it seems there is good representation everywhere. I'm somewhere in the middle of the pack and that's kinda what I figured.

Cheers to those of you who have most of your carboy's filled! It's not how many you own, but how many you have filled!
  33. 1 6.5 gallon carboy and I buy 5 gal water jugs for water cooler to brew with and use the jug if I need a secondary since it is made of the same plastic as a plastic carboy.
  34. I have 3 - 6.5 gallon glass carboys
    6 - 6 gallon
    2 - 5 gallon
    1 - 3 gallon
  35. 3 6-gallon better bottles and 2 glass 5-gallon carboys. I use the glass just for secondary, which I rarely do except in the case of long-aging sours, aging on fruit, wood, etc.
  36. 1 x 6.5 gallon Glass
    1 x 6 gallon BB
    3 x 5 gallon glass

Just gave away two 6.5 gallon plastic carboys.

SOmeone else mentioned cornies... I have 8 now IIRC. Prefect secondary / bulk aging vessels.
  37. kbuzz

When used as a primary, sometimes I get some nasty krausen rings in there that takes some solid scrubbing. You have to admit that a carboy with a 2" opening is harder to clean than a bucket...
  38. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (415) Utah May 2, 2006

All glass: 1 x 7 gal, 1 x 6.5 gal, 4 x 5 gal, 1 x 3 gal. I guess that makes 7. These days only the 6.5 and 7 gallon ones see much use, as a secondary is only a rare occurrence. I think I've only ever fermented cider in the 3 gallon one, and only three batches at that.
  39. dfess1

I use them for primaries all the time. Again, fill with hot water, pbw, and let it sit over night. In the morning, 95% of the time I just tip it upside down and drain, give it a rinse, drain, and put away. the other 5%, I put a brush in and do a quick pass over the krausen ring. It'll fall right off. no harder to clean than a bucket.