1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How many days a week do you drink beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by freewill35, Jan 19, 2013.

1. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Generally only Fri-Sun night. Sometimes Monday night if I am gaming with some friends.

2. illinikap

illinikap Aficionado (190) Illinois Jan 10, 2013

I'd say usually 2 or 3 days a week for me. Sometime 4 if I am kicking back some brews on a Thursday night.

3. tsondie21

tsondie21 Disciple (65) Wisconsin Feb 24, 2011

Probably around 5 days a week. I should probably cut down a bit.

4. chadillac3

chadillac3 Zealot (75) Iowa Dec 5, 2012

So, if a person was to drink one beer a day for 9 months, they're an alcoholic? I'm assuming when you say drinking, you mean drinking to either get drunk or at least get buzzed.

I could easily see myself drinking a single beer most days of the week, with having 2-4 on either Friday or Saturday. Shit, there is so much I want to try that it would take me a year to get through a reasonable amount of the easy ones to get, let alone actually drinking a specific beer more than once, which I've been known to do.

Right now, I'd say 6 days of the week, and 4-5 of those days are the equivalent to 1-1.5 beers (depending on if I'm splitting with my wife).

5. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

Why is it socially acceptable to need coffee before one can function for the day but needing a couple of beers at the end of the day shows a sign of addiction or a character flaw? For hundreds and hundreds of years beer was the most commonly consumed beverage of Northern Europeans, drank morning, noon and evening. Granted those people didn't drive motor vehicles or operate heavy machinery but a responsible person knows that one doesn't mix beer and these things. Just like that 1st sip of coffee brings clarity to the just woken brain, that 1st sip of beer at end of one's work day brings calm and joy. I feel zero need to justify daily consumption of beer. I need two cups of coffee to go to work. I need two beers when I get home from work.

freewill35, bld81, Sam_Frank and 10 others like this.
  6. About 10 beers/week over 6-7 nights/week.

7. Icarus

Icarus Savant (250) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

8. all day every day

9. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

I wish I knew how to make this happen

10. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I don't know why, but when I drink a lot (mostly at tastings or when I go out to a festival/bar) I usually get the munchies, whereas most people won't typically eat when they drink. Whenever I get tipsy I'll easily go through a pound of peanuts in the blink of an eye. Yet another reason to start limiting my alcohol consumption again. I'm polishing off this bomber of GI Rare right now and starting tomorrow I'm tightening the screws again for the next three months. I did it over last summer, no saying I can't now.

11. 71gto

71gto Savant (270) Illinois Jun 3, 2009

I would say I average about 9 beers a week. Sometimes during weekdays I have 1 a day until weekends. Most of the time I'd say I have a beer 4-5 days a week.

12. eight days a week

13. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm kind of sensitive about this one. Alcoholism runs in my family, and I'm very aware of the signs and consequences. And I'm not talking about a glass of wine or cocktail or a beer everyday kind of alcoholism, I'm talking about full blown job-loosing, child-neglecting, drinking-vodka-at-9am, completely-failing-to-function-at-life kind of alcoholism.

So I try to be very conscious about how much I'm drinking and for what purpose. Drinking everyday out of habit is a no-go for me. Drinking to relieve stress or emotional issues is a no-go for me. Drinking for the sole purpose of getting a buzz is a no-go for me (minus Friday or Saturday night, perhaps, but that's always out with friends, not just sitting at home). But appreciating one or two quality craft beers even most nights of the week is acceptable.

I exercise nearly everyday and eat light for the most part. I don't binge drink. I know when to cut myself off. I can absolutely take a night off. I watch how beer affects my budget.

In short...I'd say anywhere from 2-6.

14. I make it a policy to only drink beer on days ending with a Y

darienm and acevenom like this.
  15. It might sound like only semantics to some, but I have always distinguished between "having a drink" and "drinking."

Yes, I drink beer seven days a week. And by that I mean I usually have a single beer (and I try to define "a beer" by 12 ounces at 5% ABV, although some "beers" I have are 6-7%) three days a week and 1-2 "beers" (I'll count a single 12 oz serving of an 8% or higher beer) the other days. Sometimes I'll go higher when I'm conducted my own taste testing or when I'm in a social setting, but that's not very often.

"Drinking" to me means drinking alcohol until you at least have a buzz going. 1-2 12-ounce servings of 5% beer doesn't provide much of a buzz.

If I ever feel compelled to drink, it's because I want to go by some new stuff but feel like I can't until I drink more of my current supply. If anything, I have more difficulty resisting the urge to buy beer than drink it. I doubt I'm the only BA user who has this affliction, though!

16. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (290) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

First 20 months with a kegerator, every day. Now Doug 2.0 can only drink on weekends. Weekends start at 6:30 Friday and end at midnight Sunday. It hasn't been as hard as I suspected it might be. Weekday substitutions are allowed, but need to be traded for one of the weekend days.

17. This thread makes me want a beer

acevenom likes this.
  18. what do you do? i find this an incredibly weak excuse for what is, in most people's lives, laziness.

i didn't realize lentils violate the first law of thermodynamics.

ehammond1, MammaGoose and alfrantzell like this.
  19. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Makes sense. I can say the real reason I drink everyday is because I crave the flavors. I only drink a beer every couple of hours (max 3 on a weekend) and drink water in between. I rarely feel a buzz unless it is a beer over 10% ABV.

20. 0-3. This is typically a few on Fridays and a few on Saturdays. I may have a beer once in a while during the week depending on what it is.

21. 3
    Fri, Sat, Sun

22. jb123

jb123 Savant (485) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

As many as I can afford...

23. Friday and saturday. several.

0-2 weekdays. If I do drink on a weekday its only on a cardio day.

24. No beer drinking tonight. Tonight it be gin.

25. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Every day. Big deal.

26. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (260) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

Weekdays: 0-2 beers, abv averages 8 or 9%; if I don't feel like beer, I may sub in black rum or single malt scotch
    Weekend: 0-4 beers abv averages 8 or 9%

27. Billolick

Billolick Champion (800) New York Dec 20, 2003

How many days you got?

28. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

I'd say 3-5 days a week, probably closer to 5. One beer is the max if I am by myself. If we are doing a tasting or if I am watching a game or something with someone else I might have 2-3, but never drink to drunkenness.

Trying to limit the days that I drink beer in a week to the same or less than the number of days I work out.

29. kona650

kona650 Savant (270) California Jun 12, 2011

Ha! I sling drinks for a living so drinking is part of the job........it gets old after awhile!!!!;)

30. Cotchept

Cotchept Aficionado (150) Colorado Jan 14, 2013

3-5 days a week I'll have a beer or two. About once a month I'll go out and get drunk. That's about it.

31. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

2 - 3 beers 5 days a week, who knows how many beers one night a week, and no beers one night a week...

32. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (580) New York Sep 21, 2012

I recently quit coffee. But, I salute you. A very valid rationale. Summed up exactly what i feel.

33. That is my response- great minds think alike!

damnitsjeff likes this.
  34. Probably 5 to 6 days on average.

35. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

If you keep track then you're doing it wrong.

36. Drink beer 3/4 times a week , 4/5 times drink something beer/wine/liquers
    cold wet windy weather makes for easy cosumption this time of year

37. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

5 on average

38. Between 5-7 days a week. Most days it'll just be one, in the evening. On weekends, it'll be more than that. I lift weights four days a week and have started running the last couple of months so my weight has remained stable. I'd like to drop ~10lbs, which I could do easily if I dropped beer cold turkey, but I'm not really prepared to do that because beer rules.

bld81 likes this.
  39. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

No, you most certainly are not. The amount of beer in my cellar grows ever larger, and my wife has caught on to the fact that I buy far more beer than I drink. I don't see this as a bad thing, necessarily, although it's rare that I come out of a beer store with less than $50 in new purchases, and sometimes it's a lot more. And since I go to a beer store probably once a week on average, my collection keeps growing. I'm fairly certain that I have a lot of beer that I will probably never drink.

40. Absolut

Absolut Savant (430) California Sep 19, 2011

too many...

and not enough...