1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How many pints does a keg really yield?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by paulys55, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hoping someone in the industry will chime in here.
    Standard 1/2 barrel = 15.5gal = 1984oz
    Ok, no argument here. And I can divide that by 16oz to get 124 pints.
    But what I really want to know is how head translates into liquid. What I mean is this. Let's say for argument's sake that 3 of those 16oz of beer is head (I realize that this will vary). I know I can't just say, "ok, just divide 1984 by 13 and get 153" because some percentage of that foam translates into beer. So how many "pints" do you really get out of a keg? I was thinking the 3oz of head translates to maybe an ounce of beer so somewhere around 140, maybe. Would love to hear from you bar owners and brewers. Thanks for looking.
  2. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_fluid_ounces_are_in_a_half_barrel_of_beer

3. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Here you go, courtesy of micromatic. They say 132 pours, assuming 16oz glasses, 3/4" head, and 93% keg yield (due to cleaning and operator error).
    djbreezy, LiquidTable and VonZipper like this.
  4. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

no chance it's in the two hundreds, about ~130
  5. Question is-does the head form part of the pint? This was debated here long ago because of course you can't go round selling froth as beer.A pint is supposed to be at least 95% liquid as some allowance is reasonable.A decent pub will top you up to ensure good measure.
    In fact, speaking to pub owners with high reputations for their beer they say that a 9 gallon cask gives about 65 pints of saleable beer as some is lost when the lines are pulled off , spillage, giving generous measure and of course it isn't possible to serve down to the last drop.But less reputable pub owners expect to sell 72 "pints" or even more from the same casks. It's called giving short measure and it does happen.
  6. Thanks for all the input guys.
  7. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

what about wasting the nightwatchman's pour that comes out first pour of the day? how many ounces is that?
  8. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

That's usually figured in to wastage. With a half barrel you lose as little as ~5% provided you have well balanced lines and a competent staff. Most places will lose a little bit more but anything approaching 10% and you're doing something wrong. The smaller the keg gets, the higher the percentage gets just because what you lose is more in relation to the overall volume of the keg.

Edit: My grandmother owned a bar up until a few years ago. She ran a tight ship.
  9. Then there's Imperial or English Pints, which are 20 ounces.
    nogoa likes this.
  10. My bar pours anything under 7.5% in 16 and 20oz glasses. I assume that a 15.5 gallon keg will pour 124 16oz glasses and 99 20oz glasses. I also assume 165 12oz pours of anything over 7.5%. I don't count "head." I don't think it's fair to assume how much foam will come out of each barrel as they are all pressurized differently and some will pour more head than others. Seems, to me, the most fair way to set prices.
  11. Also, when you pour "head" you aren't pouring a full 16oz glass full. So I guess the answer is... there is no exact answer.
  12. bubbleguts83

bubbleguts83 Zealot (80) Texas Aug 23, 2011

the biggest variable is how big of a dumbass is the bartender. somw wille straight pour to the bottom of the glass making it half foam, waiting for it to disperse then fill a little more. most bars blame the line cleaners when it is really their dumb staff that waste most the keg.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

And don't forget the "tasters". If you give away 20 - 3oz samples, that's almost 4 pints. Between the first pour, spillage and mistakes, my WAG is that bars get in the area of 110-115 pints out of a 1/2bbl.
  14. Real world numbers...

If you're a bar, you're ecstatic to have 120 pints accounted for in your POS (point of sale system). That is about as good as it gets in a practical environment. Even yielding this number will require a great deal of attention, training and honesty on the part of your staff with a no-budge attitude. It is hard for most people to believe this, but my experience has taught me that your average bar (not a beer haven) manages to account for 70-80 pints/keg. I usually try to encourage bars to account for 100 pints/keg number to start. Once they've successfully achieved that, 110 is attainable for most people who put some concentrated effort into optimizing their system and properly training staff. Cheers.
    beertunes likes this.
  15. Part of the 70-80 pints/keg number stems from "staff drinks". Most places encourage bartenders to ring in drinks for post-shift staff drinks, but in reality it just doesn't happen all that often.
    beertunes likes this.
  16. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

On a semi related note, i was at FFF the other day. Had Alpha King on cask...imperial pint served to the (pretty much) tip top.

Twas glorious
  17. After foam, right around 120. This is the figure I have calculated and use when figuring prices in my bar.
  18. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (450) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

And all of these numbers are assuming that those 15.5 gallon containers actually have 15.5 gallons of liquid inside. From my experience it seems this is not always the case.
  19. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

1/6 barrels are 40 pints, give or take.
  20. Not enough.
    djbreezy likes this.
  21. At one time here it was routine for a brewery to overfill the casks so that it was possible to actually serve 9 gallons from them.New tax and revenue regulations mean that this is now uneconomic with the bizarre result that tax/duty has to be paid on beer which can't be sold.And in a pub this is around $1.50 a pint.
  22. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Related to this, I feel awful for bars/pubs that have bar staff who think they have to spoon or dump the head on the beer to serve people a proper pint when they're often pouring the beer improperly to begin with.

Complete waste of beer when it will eventually settle...although I know that in a fast-paced environment you have customer perception, etc. going on but that "head' is all money down the drain.
  23. TheBoog013

TheBoog013 Savant (350) California Feb 24, 2011

At my bar I shoot for 120 pints but I'm pretty realistic about the limitations of my staff. Unfortunately A LOT of beer is wasted when a bar is busy. Bartenders for the most part lose pouring technique when they are weeded and you can only beat someone down before they revert or begin to despise you. Just part of the trade off for honestly and loyalty. I'll take an honest, not so careful employee any day over the skilled wily veteran who will rob me blind the minute I turn my back. Just my two cents.
    Cheers!
    jefffalcone likes this.
  24. Knownfactor

Knownfactor Savant (300) Colorado Feb 20, 2010

I've been told that foam to beer ratio is 3:1. 3 parts foam turns into 1 part beer.
  25. If a keg is 124 pints then with wastage and what remains in the lines 120 "pints" mean the customers would be short changed.
  26. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

There is a show on SpikeTV that I do not remember what it is called, that is like Restaurant Impossible but dealing with bars. The host keeps telling the bar owners that only 70% of the keg gets sold. The rest is waste. He does seem to be a shill for the TurboTap system that he says gets 90-95% of the keg to glass.
  27. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

best just be on the safe side and buy 2 kegs.... win,win:D
  28. Hopposum

Hopposum Zealot (90) Wisconsin Feb 7, 2012

I realize every business owner wants to maximize profit, but I'd be more concerned with keeping happy customers AND happy staff than trying to squeeze every last pint out of a keg. Especially when you're selling BMC bottles/cans for the same price as a pint of craft and selling at least 100 times as much. At least that's the way it is around these parts.
  29. GrowlerGreen

GrowlerGreen Aspirant (35) New York Mar 16, 2013

Wow. A lot of people here have chimed in who have never been a bartender or worked in the restaurant biz. From the research I've done, it seems as though the average yield is 73%. Meaning about 90 pints. The rest is foam, tastings, spillage, beer left in keg (it never gets totally empty), over pouring. Even when I ran my growler store I would lose 2-3 growlers per keg. A nitro tap will have no spillage. Any other keg will have some. If you get 100 -110 pints out of a keg you should be happy.
    beertunes likes this.
  30. ODYSEYY

ODYSEYY Savant (255) Ohio Jul 30, 2013

That's Bar Rescue. Entertaining show, but he also advocates for beer to be served at 32 degrees.

If I remember correctly, they once sent some of the bar staff to Ireland to learn how to serve a "perfect pint" of Guinness, then forced a system on them that served it at that freezing temperature.
    afrokaze likes this.
  31. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

We average 110 pints per 1/2bbl, but there are several variables in play.
    • We have very short lines, so when the keg blows we aren't wasting several pints that would be trapped in a longer system.
    • We serve "16oz pints" in 20oz glasses, and the bartenders tend to fill the glasses to the point where the liquid reaches the 16oz mark, which means we're probably giving away 1.5-2oz of foam in each glass.
    • If the keg is over-carbed or otherwise acting finicky we'll lose more.
    • If it's something we're offering in growlers the efficiency goes way down because it's almost impossible to properly fill a growler without wasting close to a pint.
    • We pull roughly 1/2 a pint from each line every morning to get rid of whatever was trapped near the tap over night. It's not a huge deal on something like Pliny that only lasts 2 days, but it can add up to a significant amount of beer if it's a slow mover that takes 10-14 days to kick.