1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How many (-) Rdevs in a row

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by FosterJM, Feb 12, 2013.

1. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Good Morning/Afternoon all,

I'm at the airport headed to Dallas and just typed my reviews from last night and noticed that I have 15 red Rdevs in a row now. My tastes have changed, palate evolved or just didnt like them. Either way, just curious what your longest streak was.

Cheers!
  2. Last September I ran through 18 -rDevs, and have a few streaks of 12 as well. In most cases I've liked most of the beer reviewed, but trying to review to a C average makes for some hilarious deviations.
  3. That sucks man. Have you considered the possibility that the bad taste in your mouth from watching your football team is making you enjoy beer less? ;) Srolling through quickly, I think my longest streak was 6, with several 4 and 5 streaks as well. Pretty much the same for green.
    SeaOfShells and ChanChan like this.
  4. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

I have hit 50 at least but once in a while something that wows me more than it wows others comes along and that streak is broken.

Edit: I am weird. The ones to have broken my red streaks in the most noticeable way:
    Triple Bock
    Cave Creek Chili
    Ghost Face Killah
    ... you get the picture.
    afrokaze likes this.
  5. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (895) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

I'm sure I've had extremely long streaks, but just looking at my last 200, I have a streak of 22 negative rDevs, which is part of a streak of 40/41 negative rDevs. Within the last 200, I also have a streak of 29/30 negative rDevs. Overall, 157 out of my last 200 reviews/hads have negative rDevs.
  6. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

My longest negative streak is 9. I have 3 others instances where I had 8. That doesn't count anything recently though because I haven't really been updating anything on BA. Mainly use Untappd for hads now.
  7. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Advocate (535) Indiana Mar 31, 2010

Mine is 10 although if 1 person ranks Duke's Cold Nose Brown above a 3.75 that number goes to 16 as a 0 rDev in the middle of 7 & 8 negatives is holding it down.
  8. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Marooned on Hog Island
    Short's The Woodmaster
    Yuengling
    Double Simcoe (...I had a moderately "old" one unfortunately)
    Hell or High Watermelon
    Bell's Rye Stout
    Arcadia Nut Brown
    Shiner Oktoberfest
    Lagunita's Cappuccino Stout
    Great Lakes Eliot Ness
  9. kingcrowing

kingcrowing Advocate (550) Vermont Mar 24, 2009

10. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Haha... This would be funnier to me if SF had pulled off the upset a couple of weeks ago :(
  11. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I have nothing but negative rDevs. It's irrefutable proof that I have a superior palate.

(Serious answer: 6.)
    Bitter_Echo and beertunes like this.
  12. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

Damn dude. From the red in your reviews it looks like you flat out don't like beer, but I can tell you're not bashing simply based on your scores. Its just weird to see that much red in that column!
    tewaris likes this.
  13. 8-in-a-row twice, and 7-in-a-row a whopping 9 times.

On the other end, I've had 10-in-a-row (+)rDevs
  14. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Haha, trust me, I like beer very much. I try to rate to 'Average = 3.0' and having had many many awesome beers, for which I thank my trading and tasting buddies, the "average" shifts.
    Scotchboy likes this.
  15. FalconA

FalconA Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 10, 2011

There is only one man with irrefutable proof of his palate's superiority, and it's not you. His unprecedented streak was unfortunately broken by a +100% on Imperiale.
    Sarlacc83 likes this.
  16. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I don't have a ton of reviews (78), and my rDevs seem split fifty/fifty. One streak of 7 negatives and am currently working a four bagger. What surprised me some is the range of +20.7 to -38.6.
  17. You should be worried if your pallate and taste are at the mean!
  18. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Several streaks of 5 is the most. That's about right. I'd say 5 out of every 6 beers are overrated.
  19. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

[​IMG]

I Hate Beer!
    beertunes likes this.
  20. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I am sure Arbitrator holds the record. :)
  21. Arbitrator is my review inspiration. C is average. A lot of beer is average. We have to accept this. With his help, we can!
    mattafett likes this.
  22. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

6 is the longest, and 9/10.
  23. Well, it's either him or kojevergas.
  24. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I just looked at my first 6 pages and the longest was 12. There were several runs in the area of 7-10 as well.
  25. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

In all seriousness, without even looking it's gotta be harrymel that holds the record.
  26. A couple of runs of seven (-)Rdevs. No more than about 4 (+) in a row. Ranging from a +63 to a -54. I try to grade to a C and to the style under review (i.e. not let the sexiness or ABV of the style inflate or deflate my grade).
  27. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (490) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

I love your avatar. Whitesnake made some great videos back in the day, especially the ones with that chick.
  28. i thought it was Northyorksammy
  29. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

3 separate times I ran 5 -rDevs in a row. I jump up and down usually. I have a tendency to often 'like' what isn't universally appreciated, and 'disliking' what is universally liked. It's a character flaw by some opinions, not following all the time. Other things like music has a similar pattern for me. That said, it's fun to swing against it sometimes...and yes, sometimes I swim right along! Just depends. Cheers!
  30. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

This happens to me all the time now. I just looked and without even going back more than 2 pages I had a string of 22 negatives which was broken by Rye Smoking Wood (makes sense considering I really enjoy smoked beers and the reviews for this one are all over the place). There were some great beers in there too (FB Pineapple Berliner, TH Handfarm), but I guess I'm rating lower than the norm these days.
  31. Quite a few. I noticed that this is happening more and more now that we have the 0.25 ratings. I feel like I am better able to give an accurate score to a beer's 5 items now that I don't have to round up or down to the nearest 0.50 rating.
    corby112 likes this.
  32. 400+ reviews
    my longest streak is 7. im an optimistic reviewer.
  33. I'm not sure what my longest streak is but of my last 50 reviews, six are in the green, one is in the black(I just added it) and 43 are in the red.
  34. I think your right on point with this. I feel that before this change some of my reviews were inflated because I generously bumped certain category grades up to say a 4 because I thought that 3.5 was too low.
  35. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Nah. Most of them are less than ten! I do tend to call 'em like I see 'em (I guess that is taste 'em).