1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How much beer at a tasting is enough?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MexicanSkittel, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Say you went to a beer tasting, and we're paying 20-30$ for it. How much beer would you expect? Are you planning on getting drunk? Or are you there for the experience? What if they were paired with food? What's "worth" it?
    I went to a beer dinner a couple weeks ago, four course meal, four pours of beer. All paired with the food, 25$ beer, 40$ for food.
    Would that be worth it to you?
  2. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I suppose it would matter what the beers were if it were a smaller tasting for $20-$30 at a local bar. 5 total tastes (with at least 1 I've been wanting to try) would be worth the money.

I don't like pairing beer with food, and the cost goes way up when food is involved, so I stray away from those.

I don't "plan" on getting drunk at a larger event like EBF, but I plan to taste 25-30 new beers that day for it to be worth the trip to Boston. Getting drunk is just an acceptable consequence.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  3. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

Depends entirely on the quality of food and beer. Also, are you getting full pours? $65 for a pairing dinner is far from unheard of, but at least to me that's a pricey dinner, so I'd expect some pretty good stuff.
  4. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

I'm a light weight so I always get drunk at beer festivals. It's not the reason I go, but I can't help it. I often ask for a half pour (~1.5-2.0 oz) just so I can taste (and remember!) more beers.
  5. The food was great, the pours were 6-8oz, and a 3.5 oz pour for desert from a very well known bruery, oops I mean brewery
  6. My one real beer tasting I went to, there was about 20 of us, and maybe...40 bottles at least. It came out in two waves, there was food. We ate, and I was still very fucked up by the end.

That was a great night. had a lot of great beer I'll never get to try again
  7. pvllbum

pvllbum Aficionado (245) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

Great Taste of the Midwest....there's almost no way you can't get drunk. I don't go there planning it but there's so little beer and so much time to tas...wait...reverse that lol.
  8. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I go to quite a few festival tastings and I never have the intention of getting drunk. It's a carry over from wine tasting events I also attend (I've seen too many sloppy idiots making fools out of themselves at these things.) In fact, I had to learn at my first beer one that people don't spit out their beer into a bucket, like you would at a wine tasting. It can be pretty easy to get a buzz if you aren't careful and since I have the intention of trying at least 20 or more beers at one of these things, I'll only drink maybe 2oz from most. If I really loved the sample, I'll drink the whole thing, but most samples I discretely pour out after trying. The idea for me is to get introduced to new beers that you wouldn't necessary get to try and to get a chance to speak to some of the brewers who made the beers. I can't do that intelligently if I'm three sheets to the wind.

Most of the events are supposed to have 3oz - 4oz pours, but I've found that a lot of the stations pour a 5oz at least. I'm not that big so I probably wouldn't make it past the second table if I wasn't careful.
  9. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

That sounds worth it to me, if the quality of both the beer and the food is high. But I'm a sucker for beer pairing dinners.
    franklinn likes this.
  10. Chrome_Dome

Chrome_Dome Zealot (95) Ohio Dec 19, 2012

Only been to two such events so far, one being a beerfest @ $38.75 (advanced VIP ticket after fees), no food pairings, and had 60+ breweries 300+ different beers. I made some novice mistakes and hit my limit at 15 samples (8 oz) mainly high ABV Stouts and DIPAs...really wished I could've gotten a bit more, but I wouldn't have been cognizant of them. I keep a cost spreadsheet that breaks all my beers down to $/fl oz, and $38.75 spread out across 15 ea. 8 oz beers means this Beerfest yielded me costs of $0.32/fl oz at that event, which is on average what I get at a bar or store, maybe got me a bit of savings given I was getting some higher quality/rarer stuff.

Thinking I'll plan on getting half-pours in the future if my goal is to achieve higher quantity at those type of events while still being aware of what I'm doing. I'm definitely conflicted as to whether I should slow down and enjoy something if I find one that's really really good, or if I need to stay focused and pursue as many tastings as possible, and keep a record so I know what I'll want to pursue after the event.

The other tasting event I've been to was a Stone VE tasting for $20, but only included 08, 09, 10, 11, &12. Light hors d'euvres were served, and the store owner actually ended up cracking open some Zombie Dust and a couple other beers for us to sample that weren't on the menu for no extra charge. I'd say that event was worth it. Good vibes, I was there with friends, and the owner offering additional stuff that wasn't on the menu (and letting us sample the offering multiple times until supplies ran out).. I did wind up buying an unplanned bottle of Zombie Dust and DFH Birra Etrusca, so the shopkeep got more profit out of me as well.
    mecummins likes this.