1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How Much Does a Bar/Restaurant Make On a Case?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jonnyb79, Jan 20, 2013.

1. I was out last night with some friends at the Spinnerstown Hotel in PA. They have a huge bottle selection and I decided to go with a Wake N Bake at $8 per. If I saw a single bottle of WNB in a bottle shop for $8, I would most likely pass, but I was out and felt like giving it a try. A distributor near me had a case of WNB on Friday for around $75, but I didn't want to pull the trigger on an entire case. Doing the math, a case of WNB at the restaurant would cost about $190, where I could technically get two for the price of one from the distributor. I know they have bills, wages to pay, food costs, etc... but was just curious, in general, how much does a bar/restaurant make on a case of beer?

2. Mad money, when I go out I stick to the draft offerings for that reason.

3. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Whats W&B a 4 pk, 10 -11 bucks. I think 8 is a little steep, I would expect something in this price range to match the draft price, say 5 bucks. KBS in a bar by the bottle was $10.

4. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

In my hotel bar I markup my craft bottle offerings way less along with higher end scotch and bourbon to reward those who take pride in what they drink. That said as an example a bottle of dfh black and blue I sell at $18 and cost me about $10 - if I would sell a ton of it, it would kill my beverage cost. Though a bottle of bud is $5 yet cost me less than a buck to buy and my margins are a lot better on the beer that is perceived a monetarily way bettere deal. Also those who prefer to get a cocktail because its cheaper - that $10 martini might seem like a good deal but I am paying $30 for a bottle of grey goose and getting at least 18 drinks out of it. If you can only see the retail price and not everything that a full service restaurant pays for to do business, then I can see why restaurant mark ups can seem outrageous.

chefkevlar likes this.
  5. Draft beer has a lower cost than package so while a pour may be less than a bottle the bar might actually be making more money on it.

As to how much they make it depends entirely on the bar and the specific beer, though in that particular example I would guess around $130. I've seen markups ranging from 50% to upwards of 400%.