1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

how much has beer affected your restaurant habits?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Sam_Frank, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i guess, if you're really on a budget. craft beer is already an expensive hobby. and eating out is more money than cooking at home. for me i like beer and if i'm eating out, i want to have a good beer with my meal
  2. Not really for me..if there is no beer selection then I'm happy with water.
  3. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

It doesn't really matter to me. I'm totally fine drinking a Yuengling and damn near every restaurant in Philly at least has that. If not, I'll drink water.
  4. Beer selection affects my choice of restaurant approximately none of the time.
    VonZipper likes this.
  5. JG-90

JG-90 Savant (405) New Jersey Nov 29, 2012

This is my entire answer.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  6. I am blessed to live in VT were there tends to be a ok to unreal good craft beer selection at most places where you would go out out to eat (and even at some pizza/take out places if you know where to go) but I feel like most of the foreign places be it Chinese, French, Indian, Mexican (with one major exception if you live in VT you should know what Im talking about) etc have no beer selection other then stereotypical ethnic import (when applicable) and the big breweries. It has definitely effected where I go as the places with good food and good beer are supremely dominant and I get take out from the foreign places (when possible), but my gf likes beer too so I have that.

PS. I can confirm Tsingtao is better in China and I actually really like it, but I lived there for a month so that was pretty much all I drank and 60 cents for 24oz and no open bottle laws it definitely has its appeal. Plus they actually make a few other types of beer that are only available in China but not at most stores and their stout is actually pretty solid. Plus they have this which was awesome and yes that thing in the back is filled with beer and the 'i' in Qingdao was stolen but very few speak/read english so they don't care...
    [​IMG]
  7. rholmes

rholmes Zealot (95) Florida Sep 11, 2012

Honestly, in the area I live in, the restaurants have an extremely limited beer selection. Unless I'm driving 30 minutes or more, my dinner comes with a choice of Coors Light, Bud, Bud Light, Michelob Ultra, Corona, and if I'm "lucky" Yuengling. At this point, I either go with the Yuengling or don't drink at all when I go out to eat.
  8. You poor bastard.
  9. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

BeerFly is useless for those sort of things... Peoples food tastes are so varied, and their review writing skills aren't always that descriptive, so people saying the food is "solid" at a beer joint can mean world class BBQ to the best fried cheese curds they have ever had, depending on what they like. I find it difficult to judge.
  10. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

I'm curious why sushi was one of the foods you singled out for pairing with beer rather than wine; I personally find that a crisp white wine can be a fantastic pairing for must maki/sashimi/nigiri.

As for the thread: I tend to not drink when I'm out; I'd rather save my beer money for selection I can handpick and not pay the ~100% markup most restaurants charge.
  11. THEcorky

THEcorky Initiate (0) Illinois Jan 9, 2011

A lot. There are places I like to eat but the beer is awful. I usually get wine or whiskey. Then there are restaurants that have great beer but shitty food. I tend to chose beer over food. I can always eat at home or stomach a half ass meal
  12. With sushi it is either savigoun blanc or a pale ale/pilsner (or both)

I am lucky that I have a great local sushi place that is byob.
  13. Well living in the Chicago area most restaurants I go to have Goose Island products at the very least, so a Green Line on tap is good enough for me so I can let my desire for food make the choice of where I go. And as of a couple months ago there is a place 2 minutes from my house with great food and like 45 beers on tap, with this place no need to make a choice of why I am going out somewhere.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  14. It doesn't affect where we eat, but man do I love it when the waiter/waitress brings out a nice looking beer menu.
  15. It doesn't. I eat at plenty of restaurants that have no beer worth ordering.
  16. Drink chelada's if you like them. LA has some real good Mexican spots that make great chelada's. Loteria in Santa Monica makes mango chelada's that are probably the best beer cocktail you can get IMO. But I understand your point. Luckily most places up here will at least have Sierra Nevada on tap. At worst they have Widmer hefeweizen, but I always make it a point to ask for no orange in mines, on the off chance I find a place with good beer selection I try to get whoever I'm with to go there often, if not I order SNPA, gin and tonics or just water. But for Mexican food, I always get chelada's. (am I gonna be flamed for admitting I like those? I hate the Bud ones though)
  17. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

It didn't for the longest time, but is has gotten worse as of lately. Hell, right this moment I'm trying to find a place with good beer, and still be nice enough to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary! It may not happen! Lol....
  18. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

We have a local bar and grill with 50 taps where a good 30+ are dedicated to craft beers. I'll eat there before most other places. There is another restaurant I would never go to only eat at but every now and then they get a kick ass keg of something (Oracle, Zombie Dust, Enjoy By, etc) so I'll take my daughter there for pizza.
  19. I rarely go to restaurants with a poor beer selection. I am lucky that in NJ, most restaurants are BYO as it is tough for establishments to get liquor licences, so I am usually bringing my beers with me to dinner.
    When i don't go to BYO restaurants, I do shy away from those with no decent beer options. IMO, it's either a matter of stubborness or ignorance on the restaurants part to not offer at least 1 decent beer option. Would any decent restaurant offer nothing but lousy wines, or not carry top shelf liquors for their patrons who enjoy drinking with their dinner? What I am drinking with my meal is part of my dining experience, so I prefer not to compromise when there are plenty of restaurant options available that can give me some decent beer options.
  20. mmbeergarden

mmbeergarden Aspirant (25) Jan 1, 2013

21. mmbeergarden

mmbeergarden Aspirant (25) Jan 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I have the same problem. We seldom go anywhere that doesn't have a good beer selection. This means I don't get to eat as much ethnic food and "road food" as I would like but it's not a big deal. I, too, enjoy hanging out and having a couple of beers after dinner a few nights a week. This also extends to travel -- I plan ahead and find spots with a decent beer selection.
  22. queens1130

queens1130 Savant (320) California Nov 21, 2008

When going out to eat, food quality always weighs more heavily than beer selection, I mean heck I'm going out to eat right? I also would rather have quality food with water to soak in all the flavors rather than a BMC beer to destroy the integrity of my food. Why settle for BMC with a good dinner when I can have a good dinner out & drink great craft at home? If I'm going out to drink then yes by all means I NEED a spot with craft beer and hopefully some food to make for a safe drive home.

As an LA native I see where you're coming from. I've been meaning to check out Chego near Ktown, they have Korean fusion food & a BYOB policy with no corkage. Maybe you and your gf can check it out sometime?
  23. Sam_Frank

i've heard Chego is good. isn't it Culver City? Korean is one food where I don't mind their lager offerings. i like some Hite with Korean BBQ.

i guess it's subtle, but for me i do think my desire to drink good beer has affected my habits. the way i look at it, there are only 7 days in the week. why should i spend even 1 of those days drinking shit beer? if we are deciding between 2 places that have good food, and 1 of them also has good beer i'm going to want to go to that one
  24. No effect at all.If they don't have a decent beer selection I'll drink Bourbon , water or coffee.
  25. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

None. If a restaurant has good beer that's a bonus, but it will not dictate if I eat there.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  26. queens1130

i stand corrected, it's in palms, my bad!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chego-los-angeles

P.s. Korean food with hoppy beers is bomb-diggity. Last food / beer pairing to blow my mind, Zombie Dust with K BBQ & kimchi. Get some!
  27. If I'm going out with friends or date night it's for the experience and quality beer is a must. If its just a night with the wife and kid then the food will dictate. Good spots with horrific selections (only BMC) rarely get my business anymore.
    jrnyc likes this.
  28. Sam_Frank

that does sound good. i should ask my BBQ places if they'd let me bring something in. have a feeling probably not

have you been to Beer Belly in Koreatown? that's one Korean(ish) place that does have a great selection, but they don't do too many traditional Korean dishes, and no BBQ
    queens1130 likes this.
  29. Beer Belly is a great spot. They have a small but solid variety of beer on tap at all times, and they also have a bottle list. The food I have tried has been great (especially the grilled cheese sandwich). However, you are right that they don't have Korean food although it is in Koreatown.
    queens1130 likes this.
  30. queens1130

their duck fat fries get me every time, curse the crispy goodness!
  31. I was having this same conversation with my wife recently. We often find ourselves at gastropubs simply for superior beer selection. Recently though we made ourselves a promise to focus on eating at new restaurants that are not so beer centric. We were in LA this weekend. We tried. We failed. We ate at Beer Belly. We shall try again next time :(
  32. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

For me it really depends. Here in the Twin Cities all of the new food hotspots have good beer, so anywhere new is a safe beer bet. Some places, like Butcher and the Boar, have some of the best beer selections in town. If I am going out for American type food, beer selection is a must.

If I am going out for pizza, Mexican, or any kind of east Asian cuisine, although there are several places that have an OK selection and a few that have a great selection, I am perfectly happy with eating at one that does not. Same with any cuisine that is from a faraway land.
  33. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I have that problem. I just order take out
  34. The most important factor in making the decision of which restaurant to eat at is the quality of food. If they have quality beer then that's all the better. That said, if two restaurants have similar food selections and one has better beer, I'll go to the place with better beer.

I would never, ever skip a restaurant entirely if they had crappy beer. Heck, if i did that all of the awesome Italian joints in Providence would be a no-go, as their beer selections are horrid.
  35. lordofthewiens

lordofthewiens Champion (960) Maine Sep 17, 2005

Like a lot of others, I want good food and good beer.
    My biggest problem is that my wife and I are vegans, so that further limits the selections. I've found that places that have a better beer selection are usually the places that are more receptive to vegan options.
  36. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Hasn't affected or changed any of my restaurant habits at all, if anything it's improved them when the option is there.
  37. It affects how I choose new restaurants. Tonight is a perfect example... I'm in Boston for work and decided to try Stoddards which has a really good beer selection and an interesting menu. The food was really sub par though so I won't go back again unless I'm going just to have a beer. Food takes the priority for me by far though so beer is just a tiebreaker for dining out when I'm trying to pick between a final 2-3 places.
  38. Here in the Detroit area it seems that most restaurants have started having a MI tap or two at least, so there's usually something decent. I prefer the drinking places that let you bring your own food in though like Dragonmead and Kuhnhenn.
  39. i've never really enjoyed beer with my food. maybe wine, but beer makes me pretty bloated. despite feeling bloated beer gives me the MUNCHIES even a single 12oz. i end up over eating when i should be saving those calories for more beers when i get home. yes i count my calories...
  40. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

This. If I have beer out I will order dessert. If I order dessert I get fat.