1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

how much has beer affected your restaurant habits?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Sam_Frank, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Avalon

Avalon Aspirant (45) California Jun 26, 2011

If I want to drink with my meal, it absolutely affects the decision. On occasion I don't mind going "dry" for dinner, it opens a LOT more options. But 90% of the time it's a deciding factor
  2. It's funny because through beer (mostly due to this website) my girlfriend and I have found multiple fantastic restaurants in cities we've visited over the past 2 years that have excellent beer and typically a great taplist to boot.

Last gem we visited was Whetstone Station in Brattleboro, VT. Edward on tap, hell yeah.
  3. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

Not at all, I don't think. Gastronomically, all I want out of a restaurant is a good meal, and beer by no means has to a part of that.

Sure it's nice to have the option, but I sometimes think that a BMC beer selection in a restaurant that offers great food isn't there because they're well-matched with the food or because the restaurant thinks they're quality products. Rather, I think that they're there because the restaurant knows some portion of their customers will refuse to order anything but beer, and those folks are often BMC drinkers. In other words, maybe their lack of a craft beer selection isn't by oversight, but rather that their menu is built around being paired with wine.
  4. Agreed and the places that have good beer usually have bad wine, while places with good wine have no good beer which annoys my g/f since she dislikes most beer (although shes taken a liking to one of my favorites recently Gulden Draak). I like both so we usually end up either going to a byob or a wine place. I think many great beer bars don't realize how much business their missing due to girl friends, when they don't offer decent wine.
  5. They complain because some restaurants that have great food don't have good beer. I love when my waitress says we have everything and I ask for Gulden Draak or Rochefort 10 (I've found Belgians to be great food beers, if you pour hard and force most of the carbonation out of it) and she looks at me like I'm from another planet, then rattles off a long list of BMC.

Edit I prefer my Belgians in bottles not on draft.
  6. Dude, it's only beer. Enjoy your food and have a good drink when you get home....
  7. Fortunately Somerville/Cambridge is full of enough hipsters and yuppies that a vast majority of the restaurants have both quality food and a varied (in some cases daunting) beer selection. As others have said though, the cost of this is, well, literally the cost; $50-60 for two people (I'm looking at you Redbones).

The only time beer selection is a challenge is when I visit my parents back in upstate NY. I usually just get the roll-call of taps and pick from there. The exception is if I can convince them to go to Wolff's. A $6 liter of Franziskaner is tough to beat.