1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

How much pull does Hunahpu have?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading General / Help' started by kirbmeist, Jan 17, 2013.

1. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

Im heading to Hunahpu day for the first time in march and was just wondering what some of you guys have been able to get for Huna? Examples will help me maybe come up with some ideas of what id ask for. Plus i just like hearing all the nice trades people have done.
  2. je1129

je1129 Member

3. Johnnyramirez

Johnnyramirez Member

How on earth would he win that way?
    jrnyc, TWStandley, ckobes and 4 others like this.
  4. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

lol i always like to do dollar for dollar. i mean more along the lines of has anyone gotten a beer that they didnt think they would get to try.
  5. lucas1801

lucas1801 Member

It will pull some good stuff of similar rarity and cost.
  6. jegross2

jegross2 Member

Things you'll easily be able to land:
    DL+
    Darkness
    Beat
    Life n Limb 2 multiples
  7. vurt

vurt Member

Why would you want to use other people's trade stories to come up with ideas for what you'd ask for? You know what styles of beer you like to drink, don't you? Why don't you come up with a list of beers that YOU would actually like to try, and then place an ISO/FT offer? If someone likes your offer, good for you! If not, try trading for another beer on your list. Hey, you might even like Hunaphu's so much that you don't want to trade your bottles away.
  8. jbuddle

jbuddle Member

You should just extra it. People like that.
  9. woodchopper

woodchopper Member

I heard that only the kool kids were tossing them in as extras..... Wish i knew a few....
    :)
    xxcarpxx and kirbmeist like this.
  10. Bluecane

Bluecane Member

Drink that delicious stuff, and share it with some friends who aren't from Florida!
  11. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

why dont YOU not reply to this thread if YOU are just gonna tell me pointless things. Ill drink any style and just want to hear some trade stories. That gives me some better understanding of the rarity compared to the other big name beers I hear about. Of course i know what i drink. Not sure why people take the time to post if they are just going to be condescending and tell me something I didn't even ask about.
    Pete27lax likes this.
  12. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

already planning on doing this. Got a BA who hooked me up on a great IP trade and im hoping to send a bottle his way.
  13. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Minus the slight condescension, that was actually some really solid advice... just sayin'.
  14. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

Haven't had Dark Lord but of all the good things i have heard i may try for it. Thanks for actually answering my question BTW.
  15. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

I understand the advice but it's common sense advice given in a condescending manner. I know that if i want something i tell people im in search of it and tell them i have a hunahpu to trade thats not a hard concept. I just wanted to know what trades people might have done with it or for it.
  16. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Perhaps then re-titling the thread so that it doesn't sound like you're trying to "maximize" your trade value might be a good idea? I think there's a way to do that without deleting the thread, but I'm not sure exactly how. "How much pull does Hunahpu have?", to many, comes across as "What's the most I can try and trade my Hunahpu for?", which has become a bit taboo in the trading community, even thought pretty much every trader has been guilty of it at one point or another, whether they like to admit it or not.

Either way, I'm sure you'll find that people will be chomping at the bit for some Hunahpu (myself included). Last year, I did a large trade for multiple Hunahpu's that included a Chocolate Rain, among other things.
    jrnyc, ncaudle, vurt and 3 others like this.
  17. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

yea i dont know how to re-title it i looked for it last night but couldnt find it. Im not trying to get someones first born son for the thing its just the first title that popped into my head.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  18. JM03

JM03 Member

Bout dis much pull:

[​IMG]
  19. jegross2

jegross2 Member

You're welcome. Keep in mind DL is only $15 and not good fresh. 2011 is drinking good though.
  20. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

lol i commend you for throwing this together for such a lowly thread
  21. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Member

Every time I hear stories about bottle releases that didn't go very smoothly, and a bunch of people got shut out despite sleeping on the sidewalk, and what not, I think of people like the OP here, and just smile thinking that he might be one of them.
  22. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

yea got an offer for DL 11 already lol and he said this exact same thing. thanks for the heads up.
  23. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Member

thanks! not sure why you want that to happen. im just trying to find good beer and share good beer with other beet lovers. No sidewalk for me though sleeping in my own bed then heading out to the release. Probably will spend some time at the beach and what not so if the release sucks ill make up for it.
  24. JM03

JM03 Member

To add a serious note to the thread, I'm sure you can get some different Bourbon County varieties, Several Abyss, Darkness, Dark Lord, Westy, Black Note, etc.. Many would involve more than 1 of them for your 1 Huna.
    kirbmeist and Gosox8787 like this.
  25. vurt

vurt Member

Fair point about the condescension. That wasn't necessary, and I apologize.

My advice, unsolicited though it may be, still stands. It is intended to be helpful, and I hope you find it useful. Good luck with your trades. The beer you're picking up is highly rated and has been widely sought in past years, and I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a few things you want.
    JohnfromPurdue likes this.
  26. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

The problem is your posts are being perceived in a manner conflicting with what you just said. I have no idea what your true intentions are, and I'm not going to comment on that. But if your goal is what you just said right there, then just post "FT: Hunahpu, ISO: Wants", and call it a day. You have to realize that people are jumpy, because the auction mentality is destroying the trading community, and 9 out of 10 of these posts, particularly from newer users, are nothing more than thinly veiled auction attempts.

As an aside, you can just easily search ISO/FT on beers like this. Hunahpu has to be one of the top 25 or so most traded beers, so you should see hundreds of posts about the various things people are asking for and offering for it.

But to answer your question directly, it commonly trades for other brewery releases with decent volume (or shelf stuff with lower volume). i.e. Darkness, Black Tuesday, maybe a Cantillon, etc. Pick a bottle you want at that level and post your ISO. You shouldn't post until you have the bottle in hand though.
  27. abecall98

abecall98 Member

28. drummermattie02

drummermattie02 Member

Send out a bottle to a seasoned trader and ask for "something fair" in return. You might be pleasantly surprised, and get a great trading partner out of the deal.
    luwak, jbuddle, abecall98 and 2 others like this.
  29. woodchopper

woodchopper Member

I also hear the line at cigar city has already started for hunaphu day....... Get the plane ready we need to hurry up and get in line to wait...... :)

Its a beer do not try and hold it hostage there will be another brewery releasing the next latest greatest beer tomorrow. Or this weekend

I am woodchipper and i approve this message .......... Maybe.........
    :)
    xxcarpxx and franklinn like this.
  30. starrdogg

starrdogg Member

I've traded for a couple of bottles of Hunahpu's. Traded a Hill Farmstead E. for one, a Captain Lawrence Rosso E Marrone for the other. Both trades had other beers involved, but those were the primary beers moving for the Hunah. Now send me some of this year's!
    kirbmeist likes this.
  31. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Auction it and pick the best offer
  32. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Member

i traded a '11 dark lord + random chicago locals for a '12 huna + random cigar city. thought it was pretty fair

also, the '11 huna i tasted last month was absolutely phenomenal. looking forward to cracking my '12 in a few months.
    kirbmeist likes this.
  33. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Member

I'm starting to get annoyed with all the condescension, holier than thou, beer trading responses from vets. You guys are always lambasting the noobs. How many of you were honestly throwing in Hunahpus, or similar caliber beers, as extras when you were new. That beer is probably his best ammo to get other limited beers. New members keep hearing about all this awesome beer that they don't have access to and naturally want to know what they can get for the beer they have. Some of your points are well taken but a lot of you seem to always be assuming the worst from people.
    mdvatab, jp7161, ABisonEgo and 15 others like this.
  34. RC0032

RC0032 Member

I wonder how it will age? Do we bash them fresh or give it a year or two and bash them?
    abecall98 likes this.
  35. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

I don't see condescension so much as a combination of disgust and mourning over the direction the community has gone. Tolerating it is how we got into this mess in the first place - back in the day people would have been roasted on a spit for asking "what can I get with this kind-of-limited release?" Tough love, maybe, but people sure caught on quickly. Then came the lockdown of ISO/FT replies, an influx of noobs, and boom - suddenly the community no longer has a way to police itself and we end up with the lowest common denominator.

That said, I don't even think the OP's question here is really that bad, he's just triggering the sensitivities of the community because of all the other recent auction style posts. His intentions may very well have been honest, but with people so brazenly treating the trading community like an Ebay auction, you can't honestly get annoyed with the way vets might get a little snippy. Really, this thread should have been no longer than a helpful link to the forum search and the hundreds of examples of what Hunahpu goes for.

Nobody here is honestly suggesting he throw it in as an extra, and of course he should get a nice limited beer in return for it.
    jrnyc, stxSS07, domtronzero and 2 others like this.
  36. Bluecane

Bluecane Member

Here's the Catch-22, though:

If you post a "What's the Value of X?" thread, then you'll get roasted.

So, your "best" other option is to peruse the ISO:FT forums for a while. It's a frequent claim by the vets that the ISO:FT requests are out of hand. To boot, all you hear as a new guy is how amazing King Henry, Rare, Izzy are, and you just want to try those beers. Also, maybe new guys don't think they're ever going to land enough walez to trade for those walez, and who wouldn't want the chance to try the beers everyone raves about, if it presents itself? So, you get another potential ISO:FT overreach that creates a feedback loop that exacerbates the problem.

To boot, you may not have a big window of time to trade a particular beer while it's at its best. So, it can be pretty tough to get "properly" educated. So, even with good intentions, things can look bad. For me personally, I had some of these experiences early on, even though my outlook is vastly different now than even 1 year ago.
    mdvatab, chardlogic, luwak and 2 others like this.
  37. vurt

vurt Member

Sadly, a good common-sense suggestion like this is sometimes interpreted as uninformative, or even snippy.
  38. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Member

Anyone know what the text field on the top right of the website is for?
  39. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Should be able to land you a Cherry Rye. Maybe even one of them fancy Kopi Luwaks I am hearing so much about.

Bottom line Huna trades well, $4$ for like releases/desired beers/etc.

BTW : reality is no one knows, trying to use prior years has become an exercise in futility because have a whole new set of traders and beers it is being *compared* to.
    mdvatab likes this.
  40. ShawDeuce22

ShawDeuce22 Member

Which one?