1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How much pull does Hunahpu have?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by kirbmeist, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Agreed. I will never understand why there is so much hate towards people asking what they can get for their beer. It is like having your house appraised...you want to know what it is worth. If you are going to go through the trouble (not that the "trouble" isn't fun), of getting limited release beers, then why shouldn't you be able to gauge what beers you can get in return? For instance, if I were to attend, say, a Kate the Great release, I would want to know beforehand if these would bring in anything interesting trade wise before I spent all of my money on obtaining them.

Correct, often times we see Noobs post these types of threads. The reason for that is they are looking towards the more educated (beer-wise) BAs to chime in and help them out. Heck, I have some beers that I have no clue what they would trade for. I'd much rather see someone start a thread about what a certain beer could obtain than seeing a ridiculous trade proposed in the ISO:FT: forum (ie. ISO: BA DL FT: Miller High Life).

The whole concept of beer trading operates off of perceived values...so how can someone know the perceived value if they are relatively new to the scene?

EDIT: And don't answer "They should look in the ISO:FT forum to figure it out. 99% of the time you have no clue what the final trade ended up being."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To the OP: Huna is a pretty spectacular beer and you can definetely get most of the big hitters for it: IE some Cantillon, Darkness, Dark Lord, Abyss, Black Tuesday, etc. Good luck!

kirbmeist and beernads like this.
  2. I get as much annoyed with the vets that think they are the most generous traders out there as I do with the noobs that don't know what they are doing.

I'm not saying we should let d-bag traders get away with everything. If the dude posted an ISO for a case of BCBS for his Hunahpu then roast him. On the other hand, if you have to throw up a "how much is it worth" kind of thread for something that isn't a legit white whale you should probably do some more lurking/research since there are plenty of trades that have gone down for DL, Hunahpu, Darkness, BT, etc...

3. polisanl

polisanl Savant (260) Florida Aug 6, 2010

The 2012 BA batch is over carbonated, with hints of dark cherry. C'mon man....this years batch is INFECTED.

4. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

No idea.

5. Pittsky

Pittsky Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2009

These types of posts wouldn't exist if these guys would just do a little research themselves and quit being so lazy...Everyone always wants the easy answer...How about putting in the time and learn about the beers yourself? Lurk on the ISO:FT forums a while....It isn't that hard.

6. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

i cant control my age and when i got into craft beer.

7. kirbmeist

I always see people talking about how they dont like the im better than you beer snobs but half of the posts have been exactly that. all i asked is what people traded for the damn beer. im not trying to auction it just trying to figure out what some others traded with it as to get some ideas of fair trades. i know i can look through tons of ISO posts but who knows if they tweaked the trade(which im sure happens alot) to make sure it was fair. I dont think its lazy to ask a question to try to get as much feedback as possible.

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  8. kirbmeist

thanks man i didnt know a post like this would put me on par with leprosy. Hopefully we can do some trading in the future.

Retail1LO likes this.
  9. kirbmeist

thanks buddy you hit the nail right on the head. ill be the first one to admit i dont know all there is to know about trading because ive only done 2. Honestly i usually get nice helpful answers to questions from the other BA's. Just wanted to get some ideas. I figured it would be better than asking an unfair trade and getting slammed for that. Damned if ya do damned if ya dont.

Retail1LO likes this.
  10. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Seriously...I've been saying this for a while now. Can the 2013 members somehow outdo these guys? I guess we'll see.

11. Therein lies the rub. You're part of a community that has a segment of the population that, quite frankly, don't enjoy the site if they can't cut somebody down from time to time. Most responses aren't helpful. They're a form of personal entertainment for the poster and little else. This post, for instance, will probably be construed a a response that isn't helpful, and the segment that like to cut people down will let me know about it. This place is predictable, if nothing else.

slentz, tronto, TheBronze and 2 others like this.
  12. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Do you really not know the rarity of Hunaphu? Is that possible that somebody who says hes going to Hunaphu Day this year has no idea of its rarity. Do yourself a favor, buy the beer, drink it and then come up with an idea of what you want to do with the remaining bottle(s).

13. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

These threads don't bother me as much as the silly ISO:FTs...BUT people do seem to expect their to be AN ANSWER and quite frankly there isn't. There is a *range* of expected returns I guess, but that is about it.

The only sure thing about trading is you never know what you are going to get.

For example, I love Funky South Paw, I would NEVER trade one for a Huna, in fact I wouldn't trade one for 2 Huna's. But I guarantee if you post it you will get a Funky South Paw (if not more) for a Huna.

I could also tell you there is no way in hell you will get a Vanilla BCS for one but then sure enough someone will come along and say you can.

It is a no win proposition without semi-specific examples.

So if you post "Can a Huna trade for X,Y & Z?" you are much more likely to get accurate information than if you post "I was just wondering what some of you guys have been able to get for Huna?" which is really only relevant if you know all circumstances (could have been a good past trade partner, could have been someone in LOVE with Huna that trades more for it than average, this year is different from last year, etc).

Say what you want, and I am really trying to be helpful and am getting no enjoyment or thrills out of this post, but you are basically asking a group of strangers who know nothing about you to tell you what you should ask for your Huna.

14. I traded a bottle of Upland Gilgamesh for a Huna. 1:1.

THIS IS THE TYPE OF RESPONSE THAT HE WANTED GOD I HATE ALL THESE OFFICIOUS INTERLOPERS GETTING UP INTO HIS DIRTY BITS.

[​IMG]

libbey and drperry11 like this.
  15. kirbmeist

i dont know the rarity of it compared to some of the other big beers with their own days

16. I lost my old one by forgetting my password and being divorced so no.access to that email. I didnt post much or trade under it though and found it simpler to start a new one shipping first doesnt bother me in the least, I win either way and grow a rep slowly.

17. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

I perceive the trade value of Hunahpu to be in excess of it's actual tasting value. The few times I've had it I've been underwhelmed. Just not as good as the barrel aged brews I've had to give up to get it, especially when Perennial Abraxas (non-BA) is a better beer and more readily available.

When you get your bottles, instead of trading for some Dark Lord, Darkness, etc. I'd try to grab a 4-pack of Dark Horse BBPt5, some of the BCBS variants, or even Beat B5 if you want to maximize actual tasting value.

You also can't go wrong with BT and Melange #3.

kirbmeist and powpig2002 like this.
  18. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

When I started trading I also didn't know what stuff in my area would pull, and I lurked for a long time trying to get a feel for it all.

I also posted for help, and I didn't get roasted by anyone. The difference is what I posted was this- I live in _________ and I want to get into trading. What beers do I have access to that other traders might want.

I was pointed to a blog by bagoliath, and to start with locals for locals. Best advice ever, only sub alewatcher for bagoliath.

stxSS07, MarkIntihar, vurt and 2 others like this.
  19. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

pretty much summed it up.

20. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (450) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

There has been quite a bit of turnover on this site and many have left because of the BS that is this thread. New BA asks a question and gets his dick handed to him. Has happened many times. Why?
    Help a new guy out. Be constructive. Don't jump to conclusions because of his wording. Send a private BM. Be a part of this community. Some of the responses are abrasive and unwarranted. Not helpful and not needed. Again, why? If your post is not constructive, don't. It's that easy.

Brewzer1010, slentz and kirbmeist like this.
  21. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

I gave up on helpful BM's after 4-5 replies of "ffffffuuuuuuuu".

So there's that.

vurt, Photekut and MarkIntihar like this.
  22. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

There is nothing, anywhere, EVER that says you are not being communal if you are not positive/constructive. Pls forgive my being blunt, but that is just an immature comment (regardless of age).

OP, yes or no answer (feelings aside), did you learn something CONSTRUCTIVE even from negative comments? (I didn't say ALL comments, but even the pure negative ones may have taught you who to avoid trading with...)

I only joined in 2009, so I am no heavy veteran by any stretch. But from a trading standpoint (cellar aside), I can easily interact with the best; trading, commenting, being a trustee, etc. Here's why...

Read Mordor's comment above:

His point (if I may be so bold, sir) is YOU CAN POST WHAT YOU WANT: thread, comment, response, whatever. But if you don't do some research prior to doing so (read other similar threads - both wording and topic -, actually TRY SOME BEERS and research similarly described and rated beers in the style - all available in this site, etc) as opposed to just EXPECTING the "community" to freely share the years of hard work they have put in doing exactly this just because you posted a poorly worded question, then veterans (as we continue to observe more and more in these) will have a hard time empathizing with your plight.

And regardless of all this, to expect EVER to avoid negativity is asinine. But, I hope the one of you that eventually uncovers Utopia (pun intended), pls don't include me. I am not interested in completed entropy. o_O

And to finish...FREAKING FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS, LADIES. In the immortal words of my great friend Woodchipper ;)...

It's just beer.

Sheesh.

Auror and abecall98 like this.
  23. kirbmeist

of course im going to also do my own research as that is part of the fun of craft beer. i considered me taking the time to make the thread and find stuff out as part of trying to research the topic. I know im going to get negative answers and thats fine im just going to be annoyed when someone is condescending and talks to me like im a 5 year old. ( that whole thing was apologized for later in the thread so its water under the bridge now ). And to your point about people just freely sharing their years of hard work. That contradicts you saying its just beer as you are implying that this information should be held secret and guarded. If 5 or 6 years down the road a new BA is curious and asks questions I will gladly give him the information he is seeking because knowledge should be shared and passed on.

24. kirbmeist

thank you sir. I was actually thinking about the BBPt5 the other day because I have heard so many good things. Also wouldn't mind trying some of the BCBS variants after trying the deliciousness that is BCBS for the first time recently.

25. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

It is so unfortunate that a person has to work SOOOOO hard to help someone because they don't read.

I said:

Hmmmm. Let me look again. I could be mistaken. Let's see...did I EMPHASIZE any words in that statement? Looking...

Oh yeah. I see it. EXPECTING. The point was not for the veterans to "guard or hold secret" their knowledge, but that someone should do the research FIRST (<--- emphasis), as opposed to "just tell me what the answer is". If you just expect people to give you something they work very hard for REGARDLESS of how you ask for that thing, the consequences are yours to deal with.

I have no desire to fight or argue. I am by no means perfect. (Pls feel free to go thru my post history and count my apologies. I quit a long time ago.) You solicited advice, and although you are getting WAY more than just advice about Huna, of course it is yours to do with whatever you like, including squabble about it or ignore it. My final word: when the very folks (the ones that built this "community") from whom you are asking tell you (as a newer member) how to ask them...

In the sage words of one Mr. John Wayne:

"You're a little short on ears and long on mouth."

26. kirbmeist

yea there is no point in going back and forth as things of this matter can go on forever and ever.( Already tired of doing it on this thread) I appreciate the advice and wish you well. I am off on a search for new beers today and feel that will be better time spent than sitting on this laptop all day. Maybe i will find a hidden gem or a new beer that I love.

cheers

27. slentz

slentz Savant (310) Pennsylvania Mar 20, 2010

IMO Huna is much better than DL, youre better off keeping the Huna

28. CaptCleveland

There are BAs that critique and feel they are providing information when really they are venting.
    Some feel it is their right to post and thread shit cause they have been on this site for years.
    What it comes down to is that if your post is taken as offensive or abrasive..it is. Surprise. As human's perception of communication varies. Sensitivities vary. Really? That is why some people may be good in the public sector and others cannot be bothered. Help out the newbies and understand the potential pitfalls we have all encountered. After all it is about BEER!

29. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Well, I'm already annoyed with people giving off the appearance that they want to max value out their beer, regardless of noob or vet. So, what do we do? You know, if people would phrase the threads, "I'm going to have a Huna, do you think I could get X for it?", I'm sure there wouldn't be the same snippy commenting as there is now. When people are asking what they can get for their beer, it appears that they haven't done any research on beer they want to try or on the current value in the trade market.

Auror, richardflyr and stxSS07 like this.
  30. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

To be honest sometimes the *help* is answers they don't want to hear....so then they think they are being shit on. Again, I consider myself helpful for the most part....sure I am built of snark and grief so that comes out as well....but if you see the majority of the responses I get when I try and convo someone to give them honest answers you would see that this stuff goes both ways. I 110% support helping newer people become part of the community and get into trading, part of that is tough love though.

I got spanked in schools and parents were allowed to discipline kids...now that is seen as bad. Apparently BA is going the way of the rest of the world in those regards.

gklover1 likes this.
  31. CaptCleveland

Snark is good. Trying to max value is human. Not doing your due diligence can be a newbie mistake (most of the time) or with repetitive transgressions, due for corrective action. Yes, spanking has been shown to be bad for the psyche of the child, but we are all adults here and expect some corrective comments. The beef I have is with the BAs who put the hammer down for basic mistakes that most newbies make. This is a unique environment that I hope is fostering a progressive atmosphere. Yet I have seen may "older" BA's leave for just these same reasons.

32. chardlogic

chardlogic Savant (290) Florida Feb 18, 2011

I'm thinking of trading my last Hunahpu for a Kopi Speedway, the BA Speedway I had traded my other Huna for was fantastic.

33. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Drinking a Speedway right now actually, it's Hella good.

Had a Vietnamese Speedway last week, Hella good.

Had a BA Speedway a few weeks ago, Hella good.

Haven't had Kopi Speedway, but I hear it's, "Hella good". Take care of business, do it.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  34. Get, get, get, get, get. I swear 70% of the problems on this site are associated with this word.
    Synonym's of get: annex, bag, capture, cash in on, extort, extract, gain, grab, hustle, make a killing, net, rack up, score, take, win.

Language is important, especially on the internet. We as a community should take care with what words we use. Get puts the emphasis on what we receive, as opposed to what we shared.... what we advocated. To be fair, several of the people I quoted were making a similar point.

/Sermon

Pelican5, Photekut, JulianB and 2 others like this.
  35. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Savant (420) Vermont Jan 8, 2010

^^ got it

Levitation and MarkIntihar like this.
  36. kirbmeist

i get your point but you have to look at the context as well. this is part of a trade. so in order to get you have to give which is a synonym for share. language definitely is important though in this format. its the same reason i hate texting with my girlfriend too much because the way you are trying to say something doesn't always come across right when you are reading something as opposed to hearing it and thus fights can ensue.

37. Just put the emphasis on the sharing part of the swap and you'll do alright.

Some tweaks with this in mind:
    I guarantee no one would get mad at that.

MarkIntihar, kirbmeist and vurt like this.
  38. kirbmeist

no doubt that def sounds better. all in all i dont feel like i was being out of line with what i said even though i could of said it in a better way. i think some of the older BA's have just seen a lot of stuff they dont like lately so when a post like mine comes up they just assume the worst and go in guns blazin. I can understand the frustration but it wouldnt hurt to maybe get more clarification before you just rag someone. Im a very generous person and i have given much more than i have received in life so when someone accuses me of trying to win a trade or like take advantage of someone it really rubs me the wrong way. But at the end of the day I know what kind of person i am and so do my friends and family and in the end thats all that really matters.

Auror likes this.
  39. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Aw, you can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

40. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

While I agree with your basic idea that we should share, your list of synonyms for the word "get" is ridiculous. Oh, I am sure that they are synonyms in some obscure usages, but you left out the one usage that is overwhelmingly the meaning of the word: obtain. "Obtain", like get, is neutral, and describes the situation on both sides of every trade.

If you wanted to show your point you would have done better to use the word "pull" that was in the header for this thread.

OTOH your failure to properly understand what the word "get" means actually does symbolize the root of many internet problems.