1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

How much will the trade value of Bolt Cutter drop once it gets into distibution?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ChadQuest, Nov 17, 2012.

1. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Right now it it is being treated like a brewery only release, since so far it is, but once it hits distro and millions of people have it, do you think it will be a CBS level or a FMB level trade beer?

2. distributed midwest beer? ya, it'll be a wale.

fmb wasn't barrel-aged so no one gave a shit.

nanobrew, BobZ, YaKnowBrady and 6 others like this.
  3. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

Well, what does it go for right now?

4. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I think you answered your own question via your phrasing (answer: FMB)...hopefully BC doesn't also taste like ass.

5. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

We already got it here in CT, and i have to say it was pretty damn good...CHEERS

Wade5614 likes this.
  6. ChadQuest

I am pretty much wondering if i will need to trade one or two bottles for M.

harrymel likes this.
  7. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

Ive never had it, but there was a guy going table to table trying to trade it at fobab, which either means its not that good or its nott that hard to get a hold of.

libbey likes this.
  8. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Fuck that guy.

MarcatGSB, valdieu2 and DevilsCups like this.
  9. who cares, it will be delicious!

10. It's clear everybody is trying to strike while the iron is hot. I wouldn't worry so much, Chad.

That said, remember that time I was super cool and hooked you up with that thing? I think that R&D Sour Ale would be a nice thank you.

Centennial likes this.
  11. ChadQuest

Anything for you YeahNathanNelson.

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  12. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

I'm pretty sure no one gave a shit because the beer sucked not because it wasn't barrel aged (Darkness isn't barrel aged and people seem to go a little crazy for it)

Wiscobrew likes this.
  13. xxcarpxx

xxcarpxx Initiate (0) Alabama Jan 13, 2011

I would think with its 15% ABV few states that get Founders distribution will get it...I don't see it trading for less..

woodchopper likes this.
  14. I thought Frangelic was excellent. Obviously you need to like hazelnut coffee, but if you do, the beer nailed it. Tons of flavor. Levi was right - if it was a -bal, it would have been 10x more difficult to obtain.

Darkness and Dark Lord are two exceptions to the rule, largely because they came about before the whole barrel aged era took off.

Bolt Cutter is going to be a "whale", even in distro. Not quite CBS level, but if the reviews hold up, it will likely be the next King Henry of the trading world.

Hanzo and MarkIntihar like this.
  15. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Translation: I have a case of bolt cutter

16. Yes, I teleported from Boston to the Founders brewery and picked up a case, only to hype it up in the forums before unloading my warez onto the trading scene.

I assure you that the odds of me posting "ISO: Bolt Cutter" are a hell of a lot higher than the odds of me ever posting "FT: Bolt Cutter".

I'm just calling it like I see it - Founders and Goose Island are the two breweries that consistently trade beyond their expected value with limited releases. Bolt Cutter is currently rating a hefty 4.62, and it's a bourbon barrel aged barleywine, a style that tends to hold strong value. It already has the initial rolling thunder of hype and difficulty trading, and it will be thinly distributed. All signs are pointing at "whalez".

Hanzo, Brew33, AJDePaul and 1 other person like this.
  17. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (710) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

I am soooo hoping this makes it to an online retailer... I have just completed and am in the process of completing some pretty awesome trades and honestly the trading part of my brain is a little fried. I haven't ordered anything from an online place for a couple years. Tonight something clicked and I thought, "Damn, I should just start looking around online again."

18. mtrutlin

I know some people enjoyed it but I think not only do you need to enjoy overpowering artificial hazelnut flavoring, but the brown ale style (which isn't a top choice of styles in craft beer circles).

Btw, you can add Kate the Great almost everything from Hill Farmstead to your list of non-BA beers that people go crazy for. Plus there are plenty of beers that people would go crazy for if they were difficult to obtain (breakfast stout comes to mind).

If a beer is amazing and hard to get, people will go crazy for it, regardless of whether its Barrel Aged.

19. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

millions and millions of bottles of bolt cutter on the wall, take one down, pass it around...

20. Most people actually think Kate is barrel aged, and it's as close as you can get (aged on port soaked oak spirals), but it also benefits from the "existing before barrel aging was huge" thing.

I totally agree with you though - there are tons of beers out there that people will go nuts for if they are good enough. But, being barrel aged and from a known brewery really does escalate the hype-o-meter on a beer. Even Hill Farmstead. You could easily argue that their best beer is Edward, a simple pale ale... yet it's still all the limited/rare/barrel stuff from HF that people drool the most over. Ann had more ISO's than bottles of beer in existence...

21. mtrutlin

While I do agree with you generally, I still feel as though the reason FMB wasn't highly sought after was because many (and possibly most) people felt it wasn't a good beer.

22. CruisaC

CruisaC Savant (300) Ohio Sep 3, 2010

Ummm, sorry to jump in on this discussion, but I have 3 remaining bottles of FMB, and would gladly part ways with them for a beer of my favorite style, a BBA barleywine. Just FYI

domtronzero likes this.
  23. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (335) California Oct 17, 2009

I just traded Black Tuesday for Bolt Cutter and a BCBS. After I pulled the trigger, I started to second guess it. Bolt Cutter's rating seems to be plummeting, while the number of "FT" posts seems to now be quite prevalent.

24. that's begging the question, as many barrel-aged beers are regarded as amazing.

25. Man this is sad. Only a proper mid west profiteer could find a way to work "distributed" and "wale" together.
    (Not that I'm saying you started this)

...but really? Is this the shit it comes to up there? You guys found a way to maximize profits on a beer with over 10000 bottles made? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves... And to think some of these same people were pointing the finger at the west coasters for doing the same thing 2-3 years ago. Damn hypocrites.

BC is worth exactly the amount you paid for it... No more no less. If you try to get more than $4$ in a trade for an equally good beer then you are a DOUCHE and should be forced to drink your beers and appreciate them rather than trying to trade them as commodities like your the fucking monopoly man.

elephantrider and DevilsCups like this.
  26. Don't overreact - this beer has not even been distributed and is narrowly reviewed. And do you find your own tastes closely aligned to the rating system here?

27. mtrutlin

As are plenty of non-BA beers. FMB just so happens to not be one of them. That is my point.

28. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Same old tired region vs. region. That drum is worn out from pointless beating.

And to actually answer the question: ultimately, it will trade to how good it is. Trade 'value' can get out of whack with an anticipated new release until a critical mass of people have tried it, then it will trade to how tasty it is (see: Hellshire I, Frangelic). In 2-3 weeks we'll if Bolt Cutter tastes like CBS or FMB, & it'll trade accordingly.

woodchopper likes this.
  29. yeah but it had coffee in it, so if the CBS/BCBCS rubric holds up, aging the shit out of midwest coffee beers make them worth infinitely more.

libbey and Sarlacc83 like this.
  30. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

CBS wasn't that good, but people wanted insane things for it anyway.

chardlogic, FUNKPhD, Mandark and 2 others like this.
  31. youradhere

youradhere Savant (485) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

32. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Festival of Barrel-aged and wood Beer.

33. More like advocates vs assholes...

You assumed I was from out west. I'm not.

I'm not contrasting the differences of the two regions, I'm comparing the two. Anyone from anywhere who tries to profiteer beer is an ass. if you happen to be from the Midwest and pimp 10000 bottle beer releases and hated the "west coast beer boast" then you are a hypocrite too. End of story

34. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

You do realize he's from Cali right?

35. Of course! Hence the (not that I'm saying you started this) caveat. I assumed it was tongue in cheek comment also.
    he should know how this same mentality went through Cali a few years ago though...

36. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Here we go again...

The dynamics of beer releases in the midwest have shifted quite a bit in the last 2 years. I would love to just show up at GI early on a set date and get 4 bottles of a BCS variant. Or join a club to have 7 bottles set aside for me and picked up at my leisure. I don't have time to drive to 10 stores to score 2 bottles anymore. CBS was a freaking nightmare. The major chain here (Binny's) landed between 4 bottles and a case depending on the store. I landed 0 bottles from stores.

The demand in the Great Lakes region and particularly Chicagoland, is far greater than the supply. I would argue that the supply/demand ratio is much more askew here than anywhere in the country.

Also, distribution doesn't have the effect on a beer's availability like it used to. Actually, it has the opposite effect with these barrel aged special releases. The allocation is spread so thin, there isn't a way to acquire a half case of most without an extreme amount of luck/connections.

yamar68, woodchopper, SpdKilz and 6 others like this.
  37. what difference does it make though? 10,000 bottles is 10,000 bottles. 10,000 bottles isn't rare and shouldn't trade like it is, but with midwest (goose island) releases they tend to.

38. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

pretty sure that's wrong - begging the question is when something strongly implies that we should ask a question about it. just fyi

39. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (400) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Bolt Cutter is not better than average. I had it on draft today and was disappointed. I drove up to the release and got bottles, but will probably be trading them away. It just isn't very special imo.

40. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

richardflyr, stupac2 and woosterbill like this.