1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How much would you pay for a Vertical Epic Tasting?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ridglens, Jan 13, 2013.

1. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

A local bar is offering a "dinner" with the vertical epic lineup, but the price was too steep for my blood. Beyond the debate of how "good" these beers are even going to be, or how their styles are not made for aging, or how these "fad" verticals are silly (i know they are, but they are fun/cool to try to hunt down and collect!), how much would you pay to try them?

For reference, the price (which i'll keep quiet for now) included an appetizer pale ale and 4oz pours of 03-08 and 12 VE (7 samples in all). Plus, 7 small food pairings, so in effect a pretty sweet dinner with the pours.

All in all it sounded pretty cool until i saw the price point, which just made me curious, what would you pay?

2. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

$20 - $25 tops for me. Because it would be double that for two people, and my wife is vegetarian, and without seeing the menu, I don't know if she would be able to eat anything on the pairing menu.

3. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

I did an 06 - 12 vertical tasting over new years and if 03 - 05 is anything like the rest, my answer would be "not very much". It was fun but not amazing IMHO. 07 was my favorite in the bunch.

AleWatcher likes this.
  4. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I wouldnt pay much unless the food was insane. The beers aren't that great

5. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

$50 ? For me it would depend more on the food. I found all of the VE to be average at best. They were different but if I were to attend it would be more for the event and food than it would for the beer.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  6. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I would pay $40 no problem. Food costs ALOT and 7 pours plus a pale ale is about $20 I'd say

VonZipper likes this.
  7. 0$, but that's because not one Vertical Epic sounded even remotely interesting to me.

8. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (910) New York Aug 25, 2010

I probably wouldn't care about the price. I don't go out often, so when I'm out, I'm eating/drinking what I want. Plus I wouldn't have the opportunity to try this otherwise and it sounds cool. What're we talking here? $50?

afrothunder likes this.
  9. cmac1705

cmac1705 Aficionado (245) Florida Apr 30, 2010

I could see an event like that running $75+ around these parts.

That said, I'd be willing to go as high as $50. Not crazy about the beers in general, nor how most of them may have aged, but what the hell.

10. sjstraub

sjstraub Savant (305) Wisconsin Nov 13, 2006

I'd think $10 a pairing would be a fair price. My guess on the actual price? $200.

11. jrbchef

jrbchef Savant (265) Connecticut Feb 24, 2011

should be $65-70 unless they are going all truffle and foie gras on the thing

12. Hindsight

Hindsight Aficionado (245) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

50 cents and a pack of gum

13. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

About tree-fidy.

14. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

03, 10, and the 12 were my favorites. Went to.a tasting at a friends house. Price of admission was a bottle of 2010. All others were provided by him and other guests. 10 bucks was my $ amount. Very good but not blown away.

15. A place near me did one that included a flight of 4 oz pours of 05-12 for $23 I think. No food or other beers involved. Seemed like a fair deal to me, and was pretty cool to be able to do it.

16. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

After having 03-12 split between 5 of us, I would say the experience was worth $20, which is close to what the beer cost when it came out.

17. I did a tasting for 03 thru 12 plus hor d'oeuvres and paid just under a bill, but I wholely feel it was worth it. And I was rather inebriated afterwards, which is worth something I suppose.

18. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

I'd guess its around a $100, but I think about $50 of it would be worth it. The other $50 would only be worth it were an excellent social occaision.

19. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

I so meant to say an epic social occasion... and my internet is not letting me get in to edit. Plus there better be other beer availible because 4oz sips ain't cutting it.

20. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

SO WHY WOULD YOU ANSWER THE QUESTION?1 YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY WAY OUTSIDE OF THE TARGET AUDIENCE

21. YogiBeer

Chicago: 95 dollars.

Anywhere else: 50 dollars

NYC: 2,000 dollars and you get a free signed hat.

22. Trident Layers? Or is that too steep?

23. blkcld

blkcld Aficionado (245) New Jersey May 19, 2010

I think around $40ish is a fair price for something like that. The food is obviously one of the main factors to drive the price up or down, but just to have a chance to try a vertical that you don't have, and especially a 7 year one is a unique experience. Maybe not a unique experience actually for this particular beer. How about a novelty

24. Last year I bought 02 through 09 on ebay, already had 10 in my cellar, and subsequently bought the 11 and 12 when they released. The 02 through 09 cost me $600, and the 10, 11, and 12 were the standard $8ish a piece. This coming Friday I am sharing the entire vertical with 6 other friends for free, but they will probably bring food or something because that makes sense. I think it is worth it, and I also had 05 through 12 in Orlando on 12/12/12. It was a great night, the beers were good, and the ticket was free for me, but was priced at $25. Even if I hadn't been comped a ticket for helping with an event, I still WOULD have paid the $25, even in hindsight.

25. If the food was decent I would pay $50-60 dollars, and a little more ($75) for quality food.

26. About tree fitty.

russwbeck and egrace84 like this.
  27. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

There wasn't enough information given to decide what the target audience is. The OP didn't say what the price asked was. And didn't say what the menu consisted of was. If that information was available, I would have been able to offer a more informed opinion. Or not reply at all. Why you so mad;)

28. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Would Have to be not less than $75 if the food is ok.
    I did the vertical with 4 friends. And thank god for friends and good conversation. Beer was average for my tastes!

29. I got lucky and paid $100 from someone who couldn't go to the Stone Event on 12.12.12. Ours included food, and 4 additional tasters of barrel aged versions.

Without the 02, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for any other Vertical event.

30. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (825) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

Lol like x10

31. Stay home and put the money towards hosting a tasting of beers you've got / they've got. Why hang with strangers when you can host friends and have equally as enjoyable of brews for less.

egrace84 likes this.
  32. YogiBeer

Because he/she can't cook NEARLY as well... nor can they pair food sufficiently with the beer. But go ahead, make shitty baked mac n cheese and "sliders" at home.

IamMe90 likes this.
  33. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

34. The local beer store put on one that had 4-12 for 20$ and option to buy after. To buy 4-6, you had to buy a bottle of 7-12. I didn't go.

35. I've never kept one of these beers, so I don't know the styles by year. However, if the establishment isn't able to tell you which year it will pair with which entree, I wouldn't pay more than $50.

36. I wouldn't pay it, but I bet what the OP is discussing was $100.

37. If they don't have the '02 it means nothing/

38. ahhh please tell us how much the actual price was! it's killing me

for reference given the amount of food and pours, I would probably pay $50-80 if I was in any financial condition to indulge in these kind of things. I don't have that kind of money right now, but I believe that's about how much this kind of stuff costs in your average city.

YogiBeer likes this.
  39. San Fran: 3,000,000 dollars

luwak and YogiBeer like this.
  40. YogiBeer

Plus a super steep walk... there AND back.

2beerdogs likes this.