1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How much would you pay for a Vertical Epic Tasting?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ridglens, Jan 13, 2013.

1. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Well i couldn't give two tiny broken off floaters about these bees but keep in mind beer dinners are not cheap. Where i live usally $50 - $70 at minimum. Id they think they have "crazy beers" or some great chef then its more.

So to answer you question: if i cared...hmmm... $80/person.

YogiBeer likes this.
  2. I'd probably pay $30 for that. Nothing more. I really don't have much desire to try all of those beers in one sitting.

3. What sick world do you psychos saying $40+ live in? I'm opening a bar tomorrow if idiots these days think a dinner tasting should be a cent over $35 without some gnarly beers included.

4. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

over a half decade of beer, paired with food tailored for the beer? What planet do you live on, hoss?

5. Earth. Here in Philly, we know that VE is a shitty ass beer and useless cellar'd ale, so we don't waste our good food on it.

ubufan2112 likes this.
  6. I paid $14 for 3 ounce pours of 08-12 including a '10 oak aged version (so 6 pours in total). If you add food to that, I'd pay up to $70. That is if the food is good. If it isn't, I wouldn't pay anything for it. In the end, at beer/wine dinners you are going for the food, the beer/wine just gives you a reason to go.

By the way...i wasn't impressed by the any of the vertical epics i had. And definitely not worth going to any dinner for unless the food on point

7. Probably like $25-30 max.

8. $20? I'm assumibg 3-4 oz pours.

9. I'd probably polish a piece of shit and told the restaurant it was gold.

10. A delicious restaurant in Providence is offering a four course meal paired with four different vintages of Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. The price is $200. Judging by the quality of that offer at that price, I'd have to say the VE pairing is somewhere around $20.

For the record, no, I am not going to the PVW dinner. Would LOVE to, but $200...YIKES!

RobertColianni likes this.
  11. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

so, sorry I ducked out of the convo for a while (i had a date with several hopslams!). It looks from the replies that my instincts were correct on the price.

when i was reading the advertisement, i was excited to pay somewhere around 20-40, and was even preparing justifications if it was $50 (like sharing with the wife, dinner included, etc.)... but the price ended up being a whopping $125/each (which, since i don't do many "alone" dinners out, means $250 for the wife and i)... uhg.

oh well. i would probably pay it for a BA Dark Lord tasting or a Cable Car vertical dinner (you know, beers that are supposed to taste good and not just be collecting icons!), but for Vertical Epic (and not even the opportunity to tick the '02 for bragging rights!), i'm out.

I know a liquor store in Dayton OH did something similar (no food) for like $30, that seems like more in the price zone. And i think they had the '02.

Looks like i'll just have to wait 7 more years for the Bruery Christmas tasting!

Cheers

MarkIntihar and luwak like this.
  12. I already did this. Paid $5 a pour. Went in with it with a buddy so I only paid $30. Got to drink 03,04,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,BA08,BA09,BA10.

13. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Your life sounds super complicated

NWer likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

$125?? After trying some of these beers I wouldn't pay a quarter of that unless of course the food was exceptional.

15. ...but according to YogiBeer, I was out of line for saying that, so you must be wrong, too.

16. No one is saying that you should pay that much money for beers you don't like. However, regarding this statement:

That's just plain idiotic. Maybe you haven't been out much or haven't been to anywhere that isn't a dive, but getting 7 pours, spanning older vintages, and food pairings for each pour is going to be more than $40. Most average craft beer "pours" cost around $4 somewhere nice (Cf. churchkey in DC) with older vintages costing upwards of $10. Food costs a lot of money when eating out. It's just common sense that it's going to be more than $40, and that's fine if you're not willing to pay it, but deal w/ it bro.

luwak and YogiBeer like this.
  17. 125$ seems to pricey for me, considering the ones Ive had weren't very good. I would pay 30$ tops for beer only and 50$ with food.

18. russwbeck

russwbeck Savant (440) Virginia Aug 3, 2010

19. ridglens

yeah i think $30 might have been ok for the beer (keeping in maind that there's no '02 and they aren't even supposed to be that good, just fun to try as a novelty kind of thing), maybe another 20-25$ for the food. Either way, out of my price range. i like the bar, so i hope they sell out and make their money back or whatever, but as (i imagine) one of the beer-geekiest people in town, i doubt they will!

no hard feelings, though, I may think differently if i owned the bar/beers!

20. weonfire

weonfire Savant (360) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

The Beer Trappe in Lexington, KY hosted an event last month which had the '03-'12. Also included was an appetizer of cured meats and aged cheeses. At $90 I felt this was a bit steep. But, I talked the event coordinator into letting my girlfriend and I split the tasting. $45/ each i felt was reasonable. '03, '06, '08 were personal favs.

21. Just took this picture this afternoon. Um... I think I paid about $75 for all of them combined. Although I could be wrong, it's been almost 10 years since i bought the first one. :)

[​IMG]

checktherhyme and tectactoe like this.
  22. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Hopefully they weren't sunbathing long while you set that picture up.

ridglens likes this.
  23. ridglens

I'm sure it was at night, with just a real good flash on the camera!

24. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Oh, I thought it was Vertical Ecclipse...For Vertical Epic, many of which are so-so, I'd pay $25 -30 mainly out of respect for the food. Otherwise...I probably wouldn't go.

25. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (270) New York Oct 21, 2004

I went to a local bar event that had 05-12 on tap. My tasting group and I rated none of the beers past a 7.5/10. The only really special one was a wine barrel aged 07.07.07. While it was fun to taste these beers again, I would have been better served spending my money on better beer.

26. Philly has good food?

27. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

For what you described I'd consider $40 reasonable, and maybe I'd go $50 for the experience.

28. I'd guess between $40-60 bucks, if the food/atmosphere are good. I'd pay it if I had the dough.

29. This really depends so much on the quality of the food. Would I pay $25 for those 7 samples at a bar? Unquestionably - $8 for a 10oz pour of something halfway decent is pretty common in the Boston area. Would I pay $50 for a nice 7 course meal? Yes. So $75 is a reasonable starting point - then it's just a question of how good the food really is and how much demand they think they can drive for it.

To those only saying $30-$40-$50... half an app ($12), entree ($20), and 2 beers ($14) is going to run you $50 after tax/tip at a halfway decent gastropub on a normal night. A nice 7 course meal with some rare beers for $100 isn't at all unreasonable if the food is reputable.

luwak likes this.
  30. I think $1/oz average is pretty reasonable considering the age of some of those beers, though I think it'd be worth more if they completed the vertical. That'd put you at $28+food, so probably $50-60 depending on the quality of the food. Now I wouldn't pay that since I'm not overly interested in most of the beers, but I think it'd be a reasonable price.

To answer the question, I'd probably pay $35 depending on the quality of the food.

31. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I wouldn't, that series just hasn't ever been sexy to me. I would appreciate the dinner more if it were Cali-Belgique, Stone IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard, etc.

32. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Some of you sound like the meal is a complete non-factor, let-alone the social aspects. Perhaps the restaurant/bar should pay you for making you leave your house?

If it was a "Beer-only" event, I'd say $35-$40 seems reasonable for mediocre ticks.

quirkzoo and YogiBeer like this.
  33. Go eat a fish taco or whatever you hippies are calling lavish these days...

34. I'm glad I'm not your waiter. $12+$20+$14=$46. $50-$46= $4 tip, less than 10%. No offense, just being a smartass.

35. Half a $12 app (ie $6). So $10 on a $40 tab. :) Really just a hypothetical example anyway...

36. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

The fact that you live in Philly and don't have a flyers avatar makes your opinion worthless.

Go flyers!!!

BMitch likes this.
  37. I said damn it monster...I ain't givin you no tree-fidy

luwak and hopsbreath like this.
  38. For the entire series? Probably about $30. I had 05-09 once and it wasn't anything amazing.

39. Grew up in Colorado and hate Philly Sports. The fact that you live in a city that constantly smokes the Flyers, wins championships, and doesn't talk shit while doing so because their talent speaks for itself; and you cheer for the Flyers makes me question your hockey sense and home town pride. What's worse, now?

40. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

So you want to take yourself out of any sort of serious or constructive discussion about the original topic. Gotcha. I was going to type out a lengthy response, full of facts (and a cost spreadsheet for a five course menu), but you're obviously just an internet troll who is seeking attention. Sorry to everyone else for giving it to you.