1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
Get 12 monthly issues of BeerAdvocate magazine and save $5 when you select "auto-renew."

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join our email list →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.

How often do people ask you for beers that are marked as "not for trade".

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by codysjb, Jan 18, 2013.

1. It seems like everytime I post my cellar link I get asked for the beers with notes next to them that say I'm not trading them (and I only put this next to two of my beers in a 200 bottle cellar). Does everyone else get this as well?

2. jsilva

jsilva Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 10, 2009

I just have two lists one with things ill trade and one for me to keep track.

harrymel, claaark13 and richardflyr like this.
  3. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (630) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

If they're not for trade, I don't put them on my profile since 'Haves' was originally instituted for traders. If you don't want unsolicited beermails, don't post that you have it. If you're putting up your collection to show it off, then you congratulations, you're getting the attention you wanted.

4. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Maine Sep 29, 2009

Just an FYI, but cellar link =/= Haves list

sacrelicio and codysjb like this.
  5. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Savant (320) Wisconsin Apr 27, 2009 Beer Trader

If there was really no way you'd trade them they wouldn't be on a list of beers you have for trade. I've traded for many people's NFTs. If you really don't want to trade them keep them off your cellar list like the rest of us.

stxSS07 and MarkIntihar like this.
  6. Ya, I was referring more to my google docs link. I don't throw stuff up there for attention I use it as an inventory to manage and remember what I have (yes I could remove certain things but I put them there for completeness sake).

Bluecane and CarolinaKevin like this.
  7. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (575) Oregon Nov 9, 2009 Beer Trader

I just mark things with "do not trade" if I don't want crappy offers. I'll trade anything, but it has to be worth my time. None of this "6 pack of zombie dust for Armand Zomer" bullshit.

I still get crappy offers, but the color coding has helped a lot.

jbuddle and JCDenver like this.
  8. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Savant (290) Texas Jul 12, 2012 Beer Trader

Yes, when I was looking for CBH and offering Love Child #2 and Flanders Fred for it...everyone asked for my Bramble Rye.

-__-"

9. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (435) Connecticut Jul 28, 2009 Beer Trader

That's why I have a separate cellar list for me, and another one of stuff I want to trade. If there is a beer on my Not for trade list that I would trade for the right beer, I do that when I am negotiating for the right beer.

10. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

All beer is for trade, thinking otherwise is foolish.

11. Agreed, the title of this thread should be "How often do people ask you for beers that are marked as not for trading down?"

Bluecane likes this.
  12. GregSVT

GregSVT Advocate (530) Texas Jul 1, 2009 Beer Trader

It's pretty simple...don't want people to ask you for it don't make it public. I use the notes app on my iPhone to keep track of my cellar...there are many bottles on there that aren't on my Gots on here. It's also 10x easier to update something directly on my phone than it is a google doc.

13. If you really weren't interested in trading those two bottles, they either wouldn't be on your cellar list, or your cellar list wouldn't be on your profile.

Sarlacc83 and stxSS07 like this.
  14. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Some people like to dick-wag without getting all up in your face about it. Subtle dick-wagging if you will.

15. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I intentionally call my "cellar" list my inventory, because that is what it is. There are things I have marked as not for trade and I indeed have no intention of trading them (quite frankly most are things my wife has insisted she wants to be a part of and since she puts up with my hoarding I try to amuse her), however, should some whack job come along and offer me a Loerik for my Sour Reserve batch one of course then it is most certainly for trade. That said I agree with some above posters.....if you truly have no intention of trading something no matter what (which I believe cannot be true unless it is Dave or something) then it is only on a public list because you like showing off your penis. And hell that's ok, we have all measured at least once. Just don't be coy about it.

Dontcounttoday likes this.