1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you blindly buy beer? Find any gems doing so?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RochefortChris, Dec 20, 2012.

1. I buy blindly a lot. I'll pick up stuff in styles I like and work from there. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I recently bought Big Eddy RIS, and Haverill Joshua Norton. Bother were decent.
  2. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Before the last super bowl I went and got a mix 6. I had just started liking IPAs back then so I bought all IPAs and in that mix 6 was a Founders Centennial and a Hopslam. This ignorant squirrel found two nuts that day.
  3. baconman91

baconman91 Savant (495) Ohio Dec 13, 2009

once every few - cpl wks..usually turns out well.
  4. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Almost always buy "blind". If i relied on the reviews by the users of this forum and thier juvenile, easily influenced palates i would miss out on a ton of good beer.
  5. stealth

stealth Advocate (535) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Did this with tank 7 from boulevard this week. I had only had one farmhouse ale before (weisen bam from jp) and thought, well if its anything like that I will like it. It was delicious.
  6. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

Constantly and almost exclusively. Especially when traveling to a new state. I head straight for the local beer purveyor and buy everything in sight that I've never seen before, though I try to keep it local. I'd say one out of ten of what I buy is something I've had before. I'm different with draught. In that case, I incline more toward things I know I like. Probably because of the price.
  7. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

If I haven't tried it I generally buy it, the only thing that will hold me back is the price tag. For example, there are quite a few Epic beers I have not tried due to the fact that I have had quite a few duds in my opinion and they all come with a 10 to 12 dollar price tag. That being said I also don't have a regular beer you would find in my fridge, there are seasonal regulars but nothing that is produced year round.
  8. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (455) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

About five years ago I tried something called Kate the Great at the Portsmouth Brewery shortly after moving there. It was a cool name and I knew I liked stouts, so I gave it a shot. Worked out pretty well.
  9. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Savant (345) Iowa Dec 3, 2010

I would rarely say that I ever buy beer totally blind. Because of my preexisting biases, brewer and style inevitably direct me toward beers I am more likely to enjoy. That said, I try to work in at least 1 deviation from the norm in eery three purchases.
  10. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (500) California Sep 13, 2009

You bring up a good point, I rarely blindly buy beer but only because I research beer on a daily basis and almost always see beer at the store that I've already read Bout or read about the brewery. With the exception of traveling, when I go out of state I try to buy things I can't get locally without checking BA to get a peraonal opinion of the brew without seeing what others think. BA is a great resource that I seem to base my purchasing on too often but when I don't its always been successful. Too many people get distracted from their own unique tastes from the ratings here but I try to form my opinions and ratings without seeing what others think. I hope this makes sense sine I'm a little tipsy and sure am not thinking straight but I hope I make a point. Cheers for craft brew!
  11. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

I never go on ratings. To be honest, most of the beers I try are via word of mouth or because I make selected beer runs and choose from what stores offer. (In the styles I like) I also get bitchin' beers through the bar I work at. One beer that I bought on a whim and enjoyed was Black Xantus.
  12. I first bought Bitter American because of the graphics on the can (monkey wearing a spacesuit), and I like it. It is just too expensive--$9.99 for a sixpack. I can get SNPA for $13.99 for a twelve pack.
  13. I blindly buy my favorite styles all the time. An unknown stout, sour, or chili beer will always find its way to my fridge at least once. Anything that looks strange , like Indra Kunindra, will as well.

As others have stated, the adventure is part of the hobby. Its what sets wine apart from beer for me.
  14. VWSunroof

VWSunroof Aficionado (115) Texas Aug 2, 2003

Yeah, it was. They still had some here but haven't opened the one I have.
  15. tennispl

tennispl Initiate (0) Washington Dec 28, 2012

I buy blind but not completely. I know which breweries I want to buy from and which I don't but beyond that I just want to tick through as many as I can. Though I will admit, when my grocery store, which has 20 feet of bombers, has a 20% off sale, I become slightly more blind...