1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

How often do you buy green bottles? Ever not buy a beer because of a green bottle?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RochefortChris, Dec 27, 2012.

1. I've always wondered if anyone does this. I personally shy away from green bottles in most cases. Thoughts, opinions?
  2. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

I buy Trumer Pils on occasion...
  3. PoopChute69

PoopChute69 Initiate (0) Poland Oct 24, 2012

I would buy way more Cantillon if it wasn't for that darn bottle...
  4. Omensetter

Omensetter Savant (270) Minnesota Nov 24, 2012

Green bottles are for fartbrau. I'd be glad to try a green-bottle beer if I heard good things, but when trying something blind, I tend to stay far away.
  5. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I don't always buy Heineken but when I do I prefer the cans because the bottles are almost always skunky.
  6. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Only green bottle I've ever bought was Yuengling, and for the most part, those days are past.
  7. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

What difference does a green bottle make? Enlighten me.
  8. Only buy closed cases or closed 12 packs, or six-pack I remove from closed cases.
    Kuemmelbrau and tai4ji2x like this.
  9. Light skunks beer. Green bottles let in the harmful rays, Brown bottles do not (as much).
  10. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

So what's wrong with the heads of those in charge of Newcastle?
  11. glaze3

glaze3 Aficionado (140) Nevada Jul 29, 2010

I've almost completely quit buying Saison Dupont after way too many skunked bottles. It's really a shame because when it's good it's really good, but I have been burned too many times now.
    jRocco2021, Nutwood and Duff27 like this.
  12. bushycook

bushycook Aficionado (215) Virginia Jan 31, 2011

Jever Pils fresh outta the case. And Houblon Chouffe if it's been in a dark area of the bottle shop.
  13. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

Ivan 2010 was in a corked and caged green bottle. Tasted great with a year on it.

Also, Saison Dupont going from green to brown on the 11.2's pretty cool. Now I don't hesitate to pick one up if it sounds good.
    Nutwood likes this.
  14. Marketing.
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  15. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Lots of great Belgian stuff comes in green bottles.. Cantillon, 3F, Boon
    i'd prefer darker but not gonna not buy these beers
    tobin likes this.

16. That would be these guys... probably not gonna get too far with them with the argument that preventing a beer from becoming lightstruck is more important that brand image.
    tai4ji2x likes this.
  17. like jesskidden, almost always only buy it direct from the case. anything that is on the shelf and exposed to light is a no-go for me. it only takes a few seconds for a green or clear glass bottle to skunk under direct sunlight. indoor lighting varies (could take minutes, hours, even days), but a big misconception is that only UV light is the culprit. in fact, near-UV wavelengths in the blue part of the visible spectrum are also culprits.
  18. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

I buy green bottles (Brasserie Dupont, Cantillon, Gueuze Tilquin, etc) ALL the time, and it's never an issue. I have NEVER had a lightstruck bottle, and this is after consuming hundreds of these. Much ado about nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: I have had skunked cheap adjunct lagers in green or clear bottles though like Heineken, Corona and crap like that. Never good beer though.
  19. philhite

philhite Zealot (90) Ohio Oct 21, 2011

Pilsner Urquell...it now comes in closed 6 and 12pks, Peroni is good as long as its from the 12pk, Heineken too. All of these beers are delicious on draft, I wish they came in brown bottles!
  20. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

As a Swede I have yet to encounter a skunked green bottled beer. Before I started watching American beer reviews on youtube I wasn't aware of this problem, and I have yet to encounter a bottle which displays this particular issue. Then again the only non-brown bottled American beer that I ever buy is Miller Genuine Draft which supposedly is brewed from light-proof hops. The European green bottled beers here might be too fresh to cause a problem, or are kept in conditions which arent conducive to skunkiness. At least here the brewers are forced to put a best-before date on each bottle or can, which our government monopoly stores respect, you wont find old beers on the store shelves.
  21. lambics are less prone to skunk, if at all, since they use aged hops that apparently don't produce the isohumulones that can become lightstruck.

as for dupont, you are either amongst the elite group of lucky unicorns to have never experienced it in an off-the-shelf bottle or are confusing the skunk with the other funky aromatics in the beer.
  22. it would seem that northerly latitudes experience the problem far less often, as some UK members have also expressed bewilderment. freshness shouldn't be an issue, since under direct sunlight in the latitudes of most of the USA, a green or clear glass bottle will skunk within seconds.
    Crusader likes this.
  23. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

Most beers in green bottles are garbage in the first place (sours, geuezes & lambics especially) so I stay away from them mostly.
  24. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

25. Crusader

That is interesting. Beer sold via the Swedish monopoly is either sold like this:

[​IMG]
    Or like this
    [​IMG]

The former if the brand is successfull, the latter if the brand is new or a minor brand. Green bottles tend to be Swedish or continental pale lagers. I've often wondered what the shelf-lights do to the beers, but since I've never encountered the skunkiness that American reviewers seem to encounter I've stopped worrying.
  26. Marty91

Marty91 Savant (265) Pennsylvania Feb 27, 2012

Yuengling is really popular around here.... I'm not sure why. And for some reason their "LAGER" is in green bottles, always thought it was wierd
  27. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

I believe the light struck beer involves hops. From what I recall I've never seen an ipa (besides maybe a Belgian triple ipa) in a green bottle.
  28. od_sf

od_sf Savant (420) California Nov 2, 2010

There is no mistaking the skunky aroma of a lightstruck beer. It's a pretty unique and rather unpleasant smell, and I would not confuse it with the bretty, very pleasant funk smell of a Saison. I'm from Wallonia in BE and I have been drinking Dupont for a long, long time.
    Tmappin likes this.
  29. ok, then you are in the first group i mentioned - one of the extremely lucky.
  30. I'll by Hofbrau beers and sometimes Lowenbrau but only in cases
  31. Crusader

Hofbräu is sold in 50cl brown bottles here, Löwenbräu in 50cl cans. It's a shame if German brewers have to sell their beers in green bottles in the US if this type of container is succeptible to skunkiness over there, simply due to the expectation of imported beer being sold in green bottles. Here imported beer is sold in both green and brown bottles as well as cans with no clear preference for either and no stigma of skunkiness associated with green bottles.
  32. Well, there was America's longest-lived India Pale Ale:

[​IMG]
  33. This. I recently bought a bottle of Avec Les Bons Voeux but I was very wary of doing so ever since I bought a bottle of Biere de Miel and it was totally skunked. The Avec Les Bons Voeux was awesome though, so I definitely don't regret it. You just have to be mindful of the location where you're buying. The Biere de Miel was at Whole Foods so it undoubtedly had been sitting for quite some time. The Avec Les Bons Voeux was at a convenience store bottle shop that has a great selection but doesn't get a lot of turnover but I go there quite often and hadn't seen it on the shelf before so I made a gut decision to buy. However, I've totally given up on Chouffe. Everything I've had by them, even on tap, has been skunky.
  34. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (650) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I will get some Heinekens from time to time but only in closed boxes (mostly 12 packs).
  35. the only real possibility for skunked keg beer is after it has been poured into a clear glass and exposed to intense light before reaching your lips.
  36. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

I never buy beer in green bottles anymore. My local stores only sell them out in the open exposed to light...
  37. I know. That's why I'm so :confused: but I'm not buying any more of their beer to find out. It's weird because, now that we're on the subject, just about every beer from Kasteel I've had on tap has tasted like straight up wet cardboard to me as well. Once again, not buying anymore of their beer to try to unlock the mystery either. *shrug*
  38. assuming you're not confusing wet cardboard (usually associated with oxidation) with skunk (lightstruck), try and get chouffe directly out of the case. i've never had a problem with them that way. of course, you'll have to be sure to keep it out of the light on your own end. as for kasteel, most of their beers i find overly sweet rather than oxidized, although i think their tripel is decent.
  39. New Glarus fruit beers- green bottles- amazing
  40. most likely because they barely use any hops, and if any, it's probably aged hops just like lambics. thus minimal to no skunking risk.